Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2019 - 2023 Ranger (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum292/)
-   -   Drove one and gotta say ... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1570041-drove-one-and-gotta-say.html)

CuNmUdF250 01-23-2019 08:35 PM

Drove one and gotta say ...

It was impressive. Looks wise imo it’s a cool lil truck. Driving it revealed plenty of power though honestly I never really put my foot into it to much but what lil I did it’s obvious it’ll take off. Comfort? Very comfortable didn’t feel small inside ( and I’m a large guy ) even in backseat I didn’t feel cramped in at all. They’re gonna sell a a lot of these. Toyota has to be a least a bit concerned especially considering this isn’t even the real new Ranger, looking forward to that truck in a couple years.

2.7EcoBoost 01-25-2019 07:59 PM

Motor Trend Canada just slammed the Ranger in a recent test. I was surprised because up to this point it has received very solid praise from the initial drive reports. I'm not saying I agree with the article or that it isn't some biased bs, but I was surprised most by their test result of a V6 Colorado being quicker 0-60. If the Ranger is not class leading in performance, it just reiterates to me that Ford dropped the ball by not offering the 2.7L which would have embarrassed everything in the segment. It seems like Ford was content to just join the crowd and not put a lot of effort into raising any bars which is disappointing. Especially considering it's price tag. Here's the link:
Motor Trend Ranger test drive

CuNmUdF250 01-25-2019 09:54 PM

Yeah I don’t know why they wouldn’t offer the 2.7 but like I said it didn’t seem to lack power at all. Maybe they’re waiting for the next Ranger to offer more engine options. As for Motor Trend who knows with all these critics opinions I’ve driven a Tacoma and was utterly underwhelmed this Ranger is smooth as butter just like a mini F150. Never been in a Colorado so I can’t compare it. I think you’re onto something with the join the crowd thing, I think the next Ranger will be when they bring the hammer.

CuNmUdF250 01-25-2019 10:15 PM

Read that Motor Trend article it’s harsh. Funny that they rail on a truck while saying what a solid performer it is at actually doing work. I drive a 5 year old truck and driving that Ranger it felt like a more modern vehicle than my truck so I can’t agree with their take that only someone driving something from the 90’s would be impressed by it. It’s a nice truck, it’s gonna sell and they’re gonna make it nicer with the “real” new Ranger in a couple years. Motor Trend = fake news. Honestly where are these things coming from like the you have to take the tire off to change the oil fake news.

SDDL-UP 01-27-2019 01:38 AM

Reading the article you would expect the Colorado to blow the Ranger away in the timed tests, but it doesn't, it wins, but barely. I'm surprised the Ranger isn't closer 0-60, but that's just one spec. Did the article even mention mileage? I don't think they brought it up at all. I see o LOT of new Colorados in my area, and it will be interesting to see if Ford can compete with the Chevy momentum.

92F350CC 01-28-2019 12:59 PM

I suspect the Ranger will actually tow better than the Colorado because of the powerband.

And auto rags always bash on trucks that don't drive like a new Mercedes.

Every other review I've seen is largely positive. If I wasn't happy with my F-150, I'd be looking closely at a Ranger.

Fifty150 01-28-2019 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2.7EcoBoost (Post 18441181)
it just reiterates to me that Ford dropped the ball by not offering the 2.7L which would have embarrassed everything in the segment

Ford dropped the ball when they stopped making the Ranger.

There is a market segment for a smaller truck. And no, truck buyers won't simply start buying F-150 because the Ranger isn't available. Ford Ranger buyers bought Toyota Tacoma. And today, Tacoma is the King of the Hill when it comes to small trucks.

I'm looking ahead. Ford still may bring the Fiesta or Courier pickup to The USA. Who would want a small truck with such a small payload? Same people who are buying Transit Connect. Not everyone needs the biggest truck or biggest van. I bought a Transit Connect. For what I do, I would gladly buy a very small truck, preferably with AWD for weekend adventures, with better fuel efficiency, easier to park in The City, and a softer ride. Before anyone says that there is no market segment.........Jeep Wrangler existed for decades without competition because everyone decided that there was no market segment. Then came Suzuki Samurai, Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV.......there is a market segment for a small utility vehicle, and not everyone wants a Chevy Suburban or Range Rover.

Pgh Rebel 01-30-2019 02:18 PM

The only mid-size pick-up I've driven so far is my Dad's Nissan Frontier. I have not had the opportunity of driving the Colorado/Canyon yet; and with the Ranger just barely hitting the ground so far it'll be awhile before I get the chance to drive one those. I've seen or read a lot of reviews on the Ranger already and that Motor Trend article linked above was the only negative review thus far. The Ranger is definitely in my top 3 for my next vehicle! That top 3 right now would also include the Nissan Frontier and the GMC Canyon. I'm ready for a smaller truck that's easier to park and cheaper to feed. I've realized in the past 3 years how much I really don't need a full-size truck anymore.
My only complaint would be the lack of choice in the engine/transmission in the Ranger. I'm old-school I simply don't want a turbo if I can help it. Perhaps the next-gen. Ranger that's already being talked about will have a N/A engine choice; such as the 5.0? :D

ODwyerPW 01-31-2019 12:24 PM

This revised US Spec Ranger will be a good vehicle until it's replacement arrives. (It's replacement will be a result of the VW/Ford Tie-up that will address this 3.5rd Generation Ranger and the 1st Generation Amarok). But I see this 3.5 Gen Ranger soldiering on for a good 5 years.. Why am I calling it a 3 1/2 Generation truck? Because it is a very different from the 3rd Gen World Ranger.

Consider:This US Spec Ranger has:
  • Strengthened fully boxed frame (world version did not)
  • 4" wider track featuring new front and rear Dana axles (world version did not)
  • A new 2.3l eco-boost 4cyl engine (world version did not)
  • A new 10 speed auto transmission (world version did not)
  • Aluminum hood and tailgate (world version did not)
  • Front bumper integrated into the frame, rather than just a body attached facade (world version did not)
  • Neat Trail Control, Terrain Management, and Adaptive Cruise Control Systems (world version did not)
I know the cab is carried over and allot of the sheet metal is the same.. and no doubt much of the interior. But I think folks are doing this vehicle a real disservice when they claim it's a mild refresh to a tired world/global platform. More engine options will follow, but this is certainly a fantastic redeux of the 3rd gen Ranger. This is not a Ranger that's being left to stagnate like the 1994-2012 vehicle....This truck lays the foundation for the replacement that will arrive in 5 years. There will be a new Cab (or at least extensive sheet metal changes) and Interior and a few or engine options on the 4th Gen Ranger. No reason why it's underpinnings can't be those of this truck.

For a lesson: Look how long Ford kept the SuperDuty largely unchanged.. 1999 - 2017... Sure they say 1999-2007 was 1st Gen, 2008-2010 ws 2nd Gen, 20111-2016 was 3rd Gen, but they used the same frame (albiet with some subsequent strengthening) and cab all along.

I suspect the 4th Gen Ranger will be similar. It will burrow allot from this 3.5 Gen truck. This market segment doesn't need the capital expenditure of a from the ground up truck again in 5 years... Are folks unhappy with the door seals? Windshield wiper motors?

I've driven the new Colorado (a V6 crew cab rental for 2 weeks). It's a very nice truck. Averaged about 19-20mpg overall. I own a used 2006 Frontier XE (very basic truck that has soldiered on with little change up to the current model year.. 2005-2019.. that's starting to rival the 2nd Gen Ranger cadence.). I test drove the new Ranger. WOW! What a Truck. I do wish some of the packaging were a bit different (e.g. buying a $2800usd package on the XLT so that I can add the $225usd sliding rear window??? I don't have to do that on the XL???) and the colors a bit more varied.

This truck is very potent. It will do well... I will probably buy one.

Pgh Rebel 02-02-2019 12:17 PM

"I do wish some of the packaging were a bit different (e.g. buying a $2800usd package on the XLT so that I can add the $225usd sliding rear window??? I don't have to do that on the XL???) and the colors a bit more varied."
I share the same frustrations on the new Ranger. I would also like to see a naturally aspirated choice when it comes to powertrain but that's a different topic for a different post. The sliding rear window is a must-have option for me on whatever truck I buy next, mostly because my last two F-150's have not had it and I miss having that option on my most recent Ranger; which I sold nearly 13 years ago! :-huh But anyway, why on earth does Ford offer that as a stand-alone option on the XL, but on the XLT it's not available until you step into the top-grade 302A package? To me that is so dumb! Hopefully that is something they will rethink and revise by MY 2020 or '21.
I'm disappointed in the lack of color choices as well. What I'm looking for is a nice dark green or maybe a burgundy. I do kinda like what I see of the Hot Pepper Red, but I've only seen it on a computer screen. I have not seen one in person. The Lightning Blue is nice but I don't really want something that bright. I prefer something a bit more conservative. The white looks good; and the Magnetic Gray looks really sharp with the chrome package. I can see the silver being very popular but I'm not interested in silver.
Otherwise thank you for the comparison between this Ranger and the global truck. I didn't realize Ford had given us a totally different frame than what they were putting under the global Ranger. And Dana axles? Thank you Ford!!:-jammin

someday 02-02-2019 07:55 PM

is the sliding rear window still about big enough to fit a flat basketball? iirc the entire rear window of a tundra goes up and down which i think is much better

Pandaz3 02-14-2019 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fifty150 (Post 18447008)
Ford dropped the ball when they stopped making the Ranger.

There is a market segment for a smaller truck. And no, truck buyers won't simply start buying F-150 because the Ranger isn't available. Ford Ranger buyers bought Toyota Tacoma. And today, Tacoma is the King of the Hill when it comes to small trucks.

I'm looking ahead. Ford still may bring the Fiesta or Courier pickup to The USA. Who would want a small truck with such a small payload? Same people who are buying Transit Connect. Not everyone needs the biggest truck or biggest van. I bought a Transit Connect. For what I do, I would gladly buy a very small truck, preferably with AWD for weekend adventures, with better fuel efficiency, easier to park in The City, and a softer ride. Before anyone says that there is no market segment.........Jeep Wrangler existed for decades without competition because everyone decided that there was no market segment. Then came Suzuki Samurai, Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV.......there is a market segment for a small utility vehicle, and not everyone wants a Chevy Suburban or Range Rover.

I did buy a F-150 …. I did look at the Datsun and Toyota but I am not buying a foreign pickup, and those are in fact foreign when the profits go to Japan. So staying with a US Make made full size the only size. But I'm not doing that again and I am still mad at Ford. Now we have Choices, US Choices.

R031Kona 02-17-2019 11:43 AM

Motor Trend is on crack if they said it was a refresh of a tired platform as the Ranger is still kicking ass and taking name (Toyota etc ) in South East Asia & Australia. Also a surprise backhand bit of knowledge is a OE supplier posted that they will be making replacement parts for the 2020 model year Ranger with the 3.2 diesel !

Bryan-G 02-22-2019 11:53 AM

Just did a nice 10 mile test drive with an XLT 4WD super crew. I was very impressed. The thing road great, handled well in the curves and was smoother than my F150 both on the highway and county roads. The acceleration is very good and I’m comparing it to my 2.7. I’m 99% sure the Ranger will be my next truck when my lease is up on my F150. I don’t need the full size truck anymore as my boys are now grown and I’m really wanting to downsize. Now if they don’t have any incentives come Fall then I guess it’s will be another F150 or Colorado. I don’t love any vehicle enough to pay more for less if you know what I mean. I think they are gonna sell a **** ton of these.

jwitty 04-04-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250 (Post 18441421)
Yeah I don’t know why they wouldn’t offer the 2.7 but like I said it didn’t seem to lack power at all. Maybe they’re waiting for the next Ranger to offer more engine options. As for Motor Trend who knows with all these critics opinions I’ve driven a Tacoma and was utterly underwhelmed this Ranger is smooth as butter just like a mini F150. Never been in a Colorado so I can’t compare it. I think you’re onto something with the join the crowd thing, I think the next Ranger will be when they bring the hammer.

i heard from a dealer near me that the reason they aren’t giving much for options, especially for drivetrain, is because ford doesn’t want to cut into their f150 sales.