Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Steering column replacement (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1569887-steering-column-replacement.html)

NashvegasMatt 01-22-2019 04:10 PM

Steering column replacement

My steering column has been in bad shape for some time and since I finally got my power steering pump bracket and everything situated to where it will stop vibrating the bolt heads off, i知 just about ready to replace the steering column. unlike most people the tilt feature is not why I知 replacing the steering column. I do have some concerns that at some point the shaft was replaced inside the column and the proper length was not used. I say this because there is a gap between the shifter collar and the steering hub. In addition to that it痴 becoming more difficult to steer, very gritty and I知 sure a lot of the bearings and seals have worn to the point of no return. One thing that I cannot say with certainty is that the truck came with power steering but I知 assuming that it did because it痴 a 72 ranger.
what is the proper length of a steering column that I need to buy in order to swap this out with little to no modification. I see them ranging online anywhere from $200-$1200.

i値l take a picture of it later but I知 fairly sure that I have the Saginaw steering box

ultraranger 01-22-2019 05:20 PM

My truck is a '69 Ranger but it didn't come with PS, PBs or A/C. 'Ranger' was a trim package and not an equipment package. A/C, PBs and PS were extra-cost optional accessories. --although, no Bumpside F100s ever came from the factory with front discs.

The only major creature comfort I don't currently have on my truck is A/C. I've added a Saginaw PS gearbox, '77 F100 front disc brake suspension, F350 power brake booster, '78 F150 tilt wheel column and a Ford C-2 power steering pump/brackets/pulleys from an '82 F150 inline 300.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...04fdf5d750.jpg

lambchops25 01-22-2019 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by ultraranger (Post 18434431)
'78 F150 tilt wheel column

Not trying to hijack the thread, but do you have a thread or post on how you did the column swap? I'm interested in how that worked. Thanks.

Salty Dog 01-22-2019 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by ultraranger (Post 18434431)
My truck is a '69 Ranger but it didn't come with PS, PBs or A/C. 'Ranger' was a trim package and not an equipment package. A/C, PBs and PS were extra-cost optional accessories. --although, no Bumpside F100s ever came from the factory with front discs.

The only major creature comfort I don't currently have on my truck is A/C. I've added a Saginaw PS gearbox, '77 F100 front disc brake suspension, F350 power brake booster, '78 F150 tilt wheel column and a Ford C-2 power steering pump/brackets/pulleys from an '82 F150 inline 300.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...04fdf5d750.jpg

You could eat off of that

NumberDummy 01-23-2019 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by NashvegasMatt (Post 18434312)
My steering column has been in bad shape for some time and since I finally got my power steering pump bracket and everything situated to where it will stop vibrating the bolt heads off, i’m just about ready to replace the steering column. unlike most people the tilt feature is not why I’m replacing the steering column. I do have some concerns that at some point the shaft was replaced inside the column and the proper length was not used. I say this because there is a gap between the shifter collar and the steering hub. In addition to that it’s becoming more difficult to steer, very gritty and I’m sure a lot of the bearings and seals have worn to the point of no return.

One thing that I cannot say with certainty is that the truck came with power steering but I’m assuming that it did because it’s a 72 ranger. :-huh

P/S was optional, so you cannot assume that a Ranger would have come with it.

Plus, P/S wasn't available for F350's until 1969 from serial number D96,001, wasn't available with F100/250 4WD's until 1973.

D1TZ-3524-B .. Steering Shaft & Flange - 33 5/8" long - Use with Ford/Saginaw P/S / Obsolete

1971/72 F100/350; 1973 F100/250 2WD & F350 before serial number S40,001.

ultraranger 01-23-2019 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by lambchops25 (Post 18435079)
Not trying to hijack the thread, but do you have a thread or post on how you did the column swap? I'm interested in how that worked. Thanks.

https://www.fordification.com/tech/tilt.htm

How to Shorten Your Manual-Steering Column - FORDification.com

lambchops25 01-23-2019 01:07 PM

Cool, thanks.

NashvegasMatt 01-23-2019 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 18436210)
P/S was optional, so you cannot assume that a Ranger would have come with it.

Plus, P/S wasn't available for F350's until 1969 from serial number D96,001, wasn't available with F100/250 4WD's until 1973.

D1TZ-3524-B .. Steering Shaft & Flange - 33 5/8" long - Use with Ford/Saginaw P/S / Obsolete

1971/72 F100/350; 1973 F100/250 2WD & F350 before serial number S40,001.

Exactly what I was looking for thank you

NashvegasMatt 01-23-2019 04:10 PM

just curious about something I read regarding the flange style. I saw that the flange being welded to the shaft at the bottom is some sort of a factor that differentiates it. At one point I was considering putting a Borgeson joint in instead of a rag joint but because the flange is welded in I wasn稚 able to remove it without damaging the shaft

NumberDummy 01-23-2019 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by NashvegasMatt (Post 18436694)
just curious about something I read regarding the flange style. I saw that the flange being welded to the shaft at the bottom is some sort of a factor that differentiates it. At one point I was considering putting a Borgeson joint in instead of a rag joint but because the flange is welded in I wasn’t able to remove it without damaging the shaft

You don't need a Borgeson shaft if your truck is 2WD

Some people that have 1976/79 4WD's install the Borgeson shaft, because the Ford one piece "lower steering shaft and coupler assy" is obsolete.

1966 F100 4WD, 1967/75 F100/250 4WD have a multi piece lower steering shaft and coupler assy that has a replaceable U-joint and other parts.

ultraranger 01-23-2019 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by NashvegasMatt (Post 18434312)
My steering column has been in bad shape for some time and since I finally got my power steering pump bracket and everything situated to where it will stop vibrating the bolt heads off, i知 just about ready to replace the steering column. unlike most people the tilt feature is not why I知 replacing the steering column. I do have some concerns that at some point the shaft was replaced inside the column and the proper length was not used. I say this because there is a gap between the shifter collar and the steering hub. In addition to that it痴 becoming more difficult to steer, very gritty and I知 sure a lot of the bearings and seals have worn to the point of no return. One thing that I cannot say with certainty is that the truck came with power steering but I知 assuming that it did because it痴 a 72 ranger.
what is the proper length of a steering column that I need to buy in order to swap this out with little to no modification. I see them ranging online anywhere from $200-$1200.

i値l take a picture of it later but I知 fairly sure that I have the Saginaw steering box

The column will depend on what type of PS gearbox you have (Bendix or Saginaw) and the flange at the lower end of the steering shaft will be determined by if it's a fixed column or if it's a tilt wheel column.

The fixed column will have a splined shaft at the lower end but, the flange is (TIGHTLY) pressed onto the splines --the flange isn't meant to come off.

The '78/'79 tilt wheel column has a splined and bolted flange that attaches to the lower end of the steering shaft. At the time I got my '78 tilt wheel column, I wasn't aware that there was a difference and, naturally, my column didn't come with the splined/bolted flange and none could be found. So, I went to plan-B, got rid of the rag joint altogether and installed a Borgeson stainless steel steering joint instead.

The stock splined/bolted flange that attaches at the lower end of the tilt wheel column.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...c307e1cef.jpeg

Photo of when I was in the process of installing the tilt column and the Borgeson joint in my truck in 2014.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...83890552d2.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...5c649c35d1.jpg

JEFFFAFA 01-27-2019 01:11 PM

One note here. Before a column, rag joint, or Borgeson joint is installed one should check their cab mounts and rubber insulators. Replace as necessary. If the front of the cab is sagging, this puts weight and pressure on the rag joint. Which makes it hard to steer. A rubber rag joint has flex. The Borgeson does not. But in either case, the column and joint should not be holding the front of the cab up.

Mikulh 01-29-2019 01:38 PM

I have a automatic power steering column from a '78 parts truck that I'd sell, but it isn't a tilt column.