Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   Such a deal! (not) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1569834-such-a-deal-not.html)

GlueGuy 01-22-2019 11:07 AM

Such a deal! (not)

We got a promotional flier in the mail yesterday from the dealer that we bought our 2015 from. At the top, it lists the pertinent details of our 2015 F-150 supercrew. In the middle, it lists the details or the more-or-less equivalent 2018 model (yes, last year's truck).

At the bottom, it says "Only $547 for 84 months."

Wha ?!?!

That comes to just under $46,000 ($45,948).

That has got to be a mistake.

xzsbkn 01-22-2019 11:23 AM

Which model? It would be high for an XLT, but not for a well equipped Lariat, or Platinum and a GREAT price for a 2018 King Ranch.

Plus, at an interest rate of 3.39% the principle loan balance would be $41k

GlueGuy 01-22-2019 12:06 PM

How does that value my 3-year-old XLT? Seems like almost nothing. I could practically walk on the lot and pay about that much with no trade at all. Am I missing something here?

Wiggums 01-22-2019 01:06 PM

If it's a $50k XLT, this is actually a pretty good deal with no trade-in. See if you can get them to do that.

Lone Wolff 01-22-2019 01:42 PM

Most of the time those deals are based on a down payment of x amount of dollars in the fine print. Depending on what x equals, it may or may not be a good deal. But I would imagine most 2018's left on dealer lots are being marked down significantly. One local dealer has over 30 2018 SuperCrew XL's on their lot. I think they would somebody a heck of a deal if they didn't need a lot of bells and whistles.

xzsbkn 01-22-2019 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by GlueGuy (Post 18433798)
How does that value my 3-year-old XLT? Seems like almost nothing. I could practically walk on the lot and pay about that much with no trade at all. Am I missing something here?

Oh - you think the flyer meant if you traded in your 2015, you could get a 2018 for only $542/month. I don't think the price included your trade in. I think that price is for a 2018 with minimal (or nothing) down or traded in.

GlueGuy 01-22-2019 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by xzsbkn (Post 18434068)
Oh - you think the flyer meant if you traded in your 2015, you could get a 2018 for only $542/month. I don't think the price included your trade in. I think that price is for a 2018 with minimal (or nothing) down or traded in.

Got to be something like that. The confusing part is that they listed both my existing truck and the "new" truck along with the payment (84 months?!? Really?!? That be 7 years!).

onug 01-22-2019 08:53 PM

Those are total bait and switch ads. The guy I bought my truck from is a friend from Church and he entered my Explorer into their system while we waited for my truck to arrive from the factory. The week my truck arrived, I got an ad in the mail saying “We need your Explorer!”. When I told my friend about it, he just laughed. They had a bunch of used Explorers on the lot already.

Eighty-four months for an auto loan? Last time we saw stupid loans like that we were a short time away from the last economic crash. I remember seeing boats that listed for about $80k being sold on 144 month loans. To this day, I want to smack a Salesperson that says “Don’t worry, we’ll get the monthly payment to something you’ll like...”

tseekins 01-23-2019 07:02 AM

One must also consider that they are factoring in FMC financing at a higher rate than anyone with any sense would agree to.

When my truck was in recently getting a O2 sensor replaced, I got the exact same thing on my front seat. Same payment as I had two years ago when I paid my truck off but no where did it mention an offer for my truck. Needless to say, I spit that hook out real quick!

2.7EcoBoost 01-23-2019 07:57 AM

In general, the prices on every truck/suv/car has gotten out of hand. I have a real good job, so does my wife, but......I refuse to pay $50-60k for something that will be worth $25k in 4 years. Maybe I'm just getting old and losing touch with "reality". I have been browsing various car shopping sites and finding some nice, cream puff trucks that are 10 years old with low miles for $15k. As the price of comparable new trucks continues to the next stratosphere, I figure a $15k truck will never depreciate....:-X24
It's easy to sit here and see company's like Ford in a mad rush to make the next super lucrative high profit truck/suv and then fall flat on their face when, not if, the next recession happens. Wash, rinse and repeat. That's the American automakers motto.

GlueGuy 01-23-2019 09:18 AM

I guess my point is that for this to have been even a little bit enticing, they would have spit-balled the value of my 2015 and factored that into the proposed monthly. An estimated payment in the neighborhood of $250 might have gotten me to look twice before I shredded it.