Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Wheel Bearings - which ones to get? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1569797-wheel-bearings-which-ones-to-get.html)

mbeards 01-21-2019 11:49 PM

Wheel Bearings - which ones to get?

Hi all -- I've tried using the forum search to no avail. I'm planning on replacing the rear drum brakes on my early 77 4wd F-250 and figured since I'll have it all apart I may as well replace the wheel bearings and seals. They don't appear to be that expensive, so I thought I may as well buy the fronts too. When I replaced the locking hubs on the front a few years back after I bought the truck I didn't replace the front bearings.

I understand Timken is a good brand? I'm struggling to figure out exactly what I should buy. As best as I know the truck is a "standard" hi-boy. Manufactured in November of 76 for the 77 model year with disc brakes in the front and drums in the rear. Serial number is O (oh) 29,927. I'm assuming it's a Dana 44 in front and Dana 60 in the rear.

Anyone have any part numbers to suggest? Front and rear wheel bearings and whatever other pieces I'd need (races, seals, etc...). Looks like Timken Set 45 but I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can confirm.

painterguy 03-04-2020 11:28 AM

I was wondering the same thing as I was looking at what the local NAPA, Advance, Autozone and Oreileys carries and I dont see Timken.

John89 03-04-2020 01:16 PM

Just so you know, the front is pretty labor intensive if you do it all. Might at least prepare to do the front brakes also.

I would go with Timken. I see several options listed on RA. Double check your type/axle code. Don't forget the spindle bearings while you are in there and the wheel seals.

I've never done rear bearings, so I don't have any advice there.

fordguy2100 03-04-2020 02:40 PM

I just swapped a 76 front dana 44 into my truck and here are the bearings I just bought for the front (inner and outer are different)

Edit* I cant say for sure on yours but my 74 Dana 60 rear used the same inner and outer and it was

fordguy2100 03-04-2020 02:44 PM

Also here is the inner seal that you will have to remove to replace the inner bearing
If you're going to replace the u joints and spindle needle bearing and seal here are those too.

If you want the ball joints just let me know and I can link the moog ones on amazon as well

Mark8man 03-04-2020 03:09 PM

I will often get the bearing numbers and look on ebay or Amazon for old stock Made in USA Timken's. I imagine though the big bearing companies like Timken or SKF probably have a handle on quality no matter where they are made. Its just that if you get a Made in USA Timken it gives a little peace of mind when you are trying to go to sleep at night. :-X22

Tedster9 03-04-2020 05:21 PM

Look on the side of the bearing, there will be some #s. "Industry Bearing #", any parts house can cross this # to a gazillion different manufacturers parts. Front wheel bearings, inner and outer sets, are pretty common.

Clean off the original bearings with solvent and inspect carefully. Look for excessive wear, corrosion damage, fretting, etc. When tapered wheel bearings are installed correctly they last a LONG long time, whatever is in there from 1976 should be good stuff. There are also excellent products available today, too, but it's a gamble. If the originals are in good shape there's no reason to replace them. Clean, repack with fresh wheel bearing grease and reinstall.

440 sixpack 03-04-2020 05:35 PM

Anymore SKF is probably the best bearing you can buy. I've yet to see an SKF made in a 3rd world nation. Timken used to be the best and if you can get a US made one I still use them. but a lot of them are made in Mexico and elsewhere.