Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Shame on Ford Motor Company (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1569465-shame-on-ford-motor-company.html)

Retiredout 01-18-2019 06:32 PM

Shame on Ford Motor Company

I thought I would be saving some money by buying a F 250 gasoline engine Vice the Diesel engine. After reaching 500 miles (on my 2019 F250 XLT FX4 6.2 L CC 6 speed auto 6.75 bed) I found this forum. I read in the forum about 91 octane gas and said to myself really. Then I finally opened my trucks owner manual. I have had ford trucks all my life. My last truck was a 2015 F 150 Lariat with all the latest technology. I am familiar with the gadgets and technology. My owners manual confirmed what I read in this forum about 91 Octane gas. So I can use 87 octane when it’s not hot outside or when I am not towing which means, 9 months out of the year I half to use 91 octane gas per Ford Motor Company’s 2019 F 250 owners manual. I do not want to pay the high price for diesel. This is why I bought a gasoline F 250. Here in Eastern North Carolina, 91 octane gas is not mid grade it is premium. I will be paying the same amount of money as if I was buying diesel but actually buying gasoline. Here in Eastern North Carolina the gas prices currently are:
87 octane 2.19 per gal
89 octane 2.49 per gal
93 octane 2.89 per gal
I wish I had known about this before before I bought this 2019 F 250 6.2 L. I did research on internet about fuel mileage and potential problems and nothing about having to use 91 octane gasoline until now. Ford Motor Company’s 2019 F 250 brochure does not mention 91 octane gas. The window sticker did not mention this and the labeling on the gas cap and cover does not mention this.
Years ago my wife fell in love with a new Nissan Maxima and I went to look at it with her. Everything was great till I opened the fuel door and in bold print it said premium fuel only. So we walked away and wife was upset. Well now I am the one upset. In my opinion this is what I call deceptive advertising on Ford Motor Company’s part. Who tears open a new vehicles owners manual and reads it before buying a new vehicle. Hell you spend enough time in the dealership as it is when purchasing a new vehicle.
If had known this beforehand I would have not bought this F 250 6.2L. I knew I would eat the mpg going from a F 150 with 5.0 to this F 250 6.2L.
I am really going to spread the word about the 6.2L and 91 octane gas to any and all that will listen.
I was really looking forward to saving 70 cents per gallon on fill up but not now.
Thanks Ford Motor Company!

69cj 01-18-2019 06:39 PM

Shame on you for not doing your homework. You bought something for towing. Towing takes power.

Tricon 01-18-2019 06:41 PM

Its like what, maybe $400-500 more per year in fuel cost? If you were worried about fuel costs, you bought the wrong vehicle.

And you do not have to run 91, your truck will run fine on 87 if that's all you ever put in it. It will tow and run better in certain situations, probably get better mileage in those situations as well. But its not Ford's responsibility to do your due diligence for you.

Tricon 01-18-2019 06:46 PM

I just checked, this is what it says in the manual, where exactly does it say you HAVE to run 91? I only see a recommendation for the best possible performance?

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing (page 268).

ncl 01-18-2019 06:51 PM

You know why you never heard anything about it? Because very few actually use high grade. I do not. I tried and didnt notice any difference. The 6 4 hemi in the Ram is the same way. I tried it in my 2015 Ram and again no difference. Mpg towing was no better either. Whatever benefit there is you will not feel in the seat of your pants. I pull around a 38ft. TT around 10klbs. Yield 8-9mpg and have no concerns of more power. Just use the 87 and move on.

ncl 01-18-2019 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tricon (Post 18426857)
I just checked, this is what it says in the manual, where exactly does it say you HAVE to run 91? I only see a recommendation for the best possible performance?

I bet a beer we never see a response from the OP? Any takers?

Chinookman 01-18-2019 06:59 PM

The ECU will determine timing and adjust to mitigate pre-ignition events for the fuel/combustion process.
I would not sweat it. We drove a 94 C280 and was told to run premium. Never have never will.
A little more due diligence and then deal with your comfort factor.
As mentioned already it's a few hundred bucks a year extra, no biggie.
Just towed 10.2k on regular and never broke a sweat.

heymrdj 01-18-2019 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ncl (Post 18426876)

I'm in :). That or we come back intentionally obtuse about the wording.

BlackSTXFL 01-18-2019 07:35 PM

First world problems.

ncl 01-18-2019 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by heymrdj (Post 18426921)
I'm in :). That or we come back intentionally obtuse about the wording.

Agreed. We shall see.

Retiredout 01-18-2019 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ncl (Post 18426876)

The word recommended in warranty work actually means we recommended this and you did not use it so we are not going to honor the repairs under the warranty. The legalities of certain words used to define if warranty work is actually authorized verses the owner having to pay out of pocket for repairs. I’ll take that cold Miller now.

claf 01-18-2019 07:53 PM

I know what you mean! Last month I bought a puppy from the pet store and NO WHERE in the brochure or on the web site did they say it was up to me to maintain the puppy's health! Shame on PetSmart!

Motown82 01-18-2019 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Retiredout (Post 18426966)
“I’ll take that cold Miller now.”

You guys owe this man a beer!🍺

bobv60 01-18-2019 08:19 PM

This made me read my owners manual. Do you know Ford expect you to change the oils, filters, and check tire pressure, and YOU have to pay for it? There was NOTHING said about this or anything posted on the window sticker.
Mybe we need a class action law suit.

serously, think about all the paper work the op is asking for when buying a vehicle. "And this page is notifing you what the recomended tire pressure, please sign here and here, initial here and here. Next page page, this acknowledges the proper oil, only 40 more pages to go"

ford390gashog 01-18-2019 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by bobv60 (Post 18427016)
This made me read my owners manual. Do you know Ford expect you to change the oils, filters, and check tire pressure, and YOU have to pay for it? There was NOTHING said about this or anything posted on the window sticker.
Mybe we need a class action law suit.

serously, think about all the paper work the op is asking for when buying a vehicle. "And this page is notifing you what the recomended tire pressure, please sign here and here, initial here and here. Next page page, this acknowledges the proper oil, only 40 more pages to go"

I am pissed, just found out you have to use special washer fluid in freezing temperatures :-arrgh:-missingt