Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Asking for a friend.........seriously! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1569447-asking-for-a-friend-seriously.html)

HP junkie 01-18-2019 02:07 PM

Asking for a friend.........seriously!

Actually my neighbors friend (National Guard buddy) has a 2005 6.0 auto SRW that misses at idle. Sorry I don't know many specifics about the truck or too many details about the issue but bear with me. I was told it misses at idle but drives fine. He thought it was turbo and cleaned it and no change. He said when the VGT wire is unplugged from turbo it stops missing. He replaced VGT solenoid and still misses. He ultimately took it to a Ford dealership and they hooked it up to computer and their professional opinion was you have a gremlin and charged him the diagnostic fee. They were unable to determine the cause of the miss. He is reaching out to other 6.0 owners in hopes someone has come across this issue before. ANY help would be appreciated.

Tedster9 01-18-2019 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by HP junkie (Post 18426317)
... took it to a Ford dealership and they hooked it up to computer and their professional opinion was you have a gremlin and charged him the diagnostic fee.

That's not a diagnosis though, that's just a "Somethin' ain't right. That'll be Fifty bucks."

diesel_dan 01-18-2019 03:44 PM

Sounds like he has some basic 6.0 knowledge -- does he have anything to read live data? I can't believe a Ford dealer wouldn't run an uncompensated cylinder contribution test and at least have given him a place to start. If he doesn't have knowledge/tools/time to do more diagnostics, I'd reach out to the chapter in his area or tell us where he is located, and see if we can't find him a better place to take it... Best of luck to him...
Scott

HP junkie 01-18-2019 03:53 PM

Oops sorry, I asked about a cylinder contribution test already and he said it passed. From the sounds of it they ran tests while it was running so they SHOULD have been able to see the misses IMO. I also believe he replaced IPR. I asked him what dealer as I want to avoid them at all costs. Haven't heard back yet.

diesel_dan 01-18-2019 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by HP junkie (Post 18426590)
Oops sorry, I asked about a cylinder contribution test already and he said it passed. From the sounds of it they ran tests while it was running so they SHOULD have been able to see the misses IMO. I asked him what dealer as I want to avoid them at all costs. Haven't heard back yet.

Does he have time to work on it, and if not since it sounds like he is local to you, can you find him a better shop?

markw365 01-18-2019 04:54 PM

If he doesn't have monitoring on the truck yet, he needs to do that. It is a great aid in troubleshooting when you can see what all the running engine parameters are.

FL SuperDuty 01-18-2019 08:00 PM

bad ICP/EBP could cause a miss at idle. try unplugging.

SmackDaddy 01-18-2019 10:03 PM

Cam and crank sensors can go bad or have faulty connections and cause some crazy surging, especially the crank sensor. He needs to get some diagnostics for us and scan for codes.

87crewdually 01-19-2019 12:21 AM

Next test I'd do (since we have limited info here) is a bubble test.
Let it idle until it is missing.
Then shut it down and pull the secondary fuel filter on the top of the engine.
Next crank it using the starter trigger wire on the passenger side firewall by unplugging it and touching it to the positive battery terminal.
While cranking watch inside the fuel bowl for bubbles.
Post results.

HP junkie 01-19-2019 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by diesel_dan (Post 18426612)
Does he have time to work on it, and if not since it sounds like he is local to you, can you find him a better shop?

i do know a couple and can certainly do that. Sounds like he his mechanically inclined and can fix it himself just looking forms direction to look.

HP junkie 01-19-2019 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 18427239)
Cam and crank sensors can go bad or have faulty connections and cause some crazy surging, especially the crank sensor. He needs to get some diagnostics for us and scan for codes.

yeah im gonna see if has capabilities or has more info