Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   99 F350 7.3 - NO BOOST (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1569429-99-f350-7-3-no-boost.html)

JoeLawrence73 01-18-2019 10:59 AM

99 F350 7.3 - NO BOOST

My 7.3 currently has no boost. The truck has a brand new Garrett Powermax turbo, an 8 month old S&B cold air intake, Industrial 75+ injectors. It was chipped but I took that out and installed an Edge Evolution CS2 tuner. The tuner did nothing impressive so I sent it back. Before I removed the tuner I restored the setting back to stock. I now have NO boost and I am blowing black smoke like crazy and I cannot get the truck over 25 MPH. I think I have a leak because I was only getting about 12 lbs of boost before. At this point I would be happy with 12 because when I say NO I mean ZERO. I also changed the EBP sensor. I have not cleaned or replaced the EB line yet but I doubt that would totally kill boost. When the powermax went on it had a new wastegate so I do not think that is the issue. I removed the tube from the wastegate and there was no difference.

I am at a total loss. Please help.

Walleye Hunter 01-18-2019 11:26 AM

You have an air problem and I wouldn't drive it until you get it ironed out, the exhaust will get hot without air to cool it. Is your turbo frozen up? Is there a rag in the intake from when you were working on it? Is your EBPV stuck closed? Are all your intake hoses connected and tight?

JoeLawrence73 01-18-2019 11:36 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I am not mechanic so I apologize if my questions are basic. I doubt there is a rag in it. Nothing has been opened up for that to happen since the turbo was put on and that was several months ago. That was done by a professional. How would I check if the turbo is frozen or the EBPV is stuck? All the intake hoses seem fine. I am building a boost leak tester

Colorado350 01-18-2019 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by JoeLawrence73 (Post 18426046)
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I am not mechanic so I apologize if my questions are basic. I doubt there is a rag in it. Nothing has been opened up for that to happen since the turbo was put on and that was several months ago. That was done by a professional. How would I check if the turbo is frozen or the EBPV is stuck? All the intake hoses seem fine. I am building a boost leak tester

Im with Mark.
Remove the air intake at the turbo, does the turbo spin freely? Has this been going on since the install or this something new?

Walleye Hunter 01-18-2019 02:19 PM

You'll be able to check the tubo when you pull the intake tubing off for your boost leak test and be sure that you get past the plastic collar that the crankase vent connects to or your test won't work. The exhaust back pressure valve (EBPV) is inside the exhaust side of your turbo and connects to the actuator, which is inside of the pedestal. I have no experience with that thing other than removing mine so I don't know how to check it. The connecting rod for that is under the turbo to the passenger's side. I guess you could try working it back and forth but again, I don't know.

beef tits 01-18-2019 02:51 PM

It it's a new turbo you have to adjust the wastegate arm. I recall having a similar problem with mine when I first installed it.

timmyboy76 01-18-2019 03:05 PM

Collector aligned, correct-lee ?

JoeLawrence73 01-18-2019 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado350 (Post 18426161)

Im with Mark.
Remove the air intake at the turbo, does the turbo spin freely? Has this been going on since the install or this something new?

No. It started after I took the edge tuner off and replaced the ebp sensor

Colorado350 01-18-2019 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by JoeLawrence73 (Post 18427035)
No. It started after I took the edge tuner off and replaced the ebp sensor

Joe, Since you already sent the Edge tuner back and it started after you removed the tuner, I’d contact Edge and explain the issue with them and see if they have any suggestions. Does anything change if you unplug the EBP sensor? Is the tube clean?

'88 E-350 01-19-2019 10:58 AM

Always start with the last thing that was messed with. If the problem started immediately after removing the Edge that's the most likely cause. I've heard that tuners can mess up the programming when re-loading it. Since it's blowing black it's getting enough fuel, but maybe the timing is way off or something.

If it was initially ok after removing the tuner and then crapped out it's not that. I'd pull the intake hose off the turbo and make sure it's not seized. It should spin very easily with your fingers. If there was a big enough boost leak to have 0 boost I think you'd hear the air blowing. If the exhaust back pressure valve is stuck closed the exhaust should sound funny, it'll usually have a hiss type sound to it.

RigCity 01-20-2019 01:18 AM

“Industrial 75+ injectors. It was chipped but I took that out and installed an Edge Evolution CS2 tuner. “
Did you drive the truck in between removing the chip and installing the edge? If so how did it drive? Can those injectors run off a stock pcm calibration? Seems there is a programming issue and air leaks in the system.

HD Rider 01-20-2019 08:32 PM

Also make sure you didn't blow an intercooler pipe off. They are hard to see at the intercooler end.

JOHN2001 01-20-2019 11:18 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f1e1260967.jpg
here's a good example of what you don't want to see when you pull your intake piping off.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...0e4bc9f163.jpg
and here's a good example of what you don't want to see when you pull your exhaust off :eek::-missingt
same truck 2 different turbos :-X09

HD Rider 01-21-2019 07:15 AM

Holy cow! What did those turbos eat for lunch?
Besides themselves I mean.

Walleye Hunter 01-21-2019 07:33 AM

I wonder if it was making any noise. :-X06