Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Gas in Diesel fixed. Now the fun begins. Help Needed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1569377-gas-in-diesel-fixed-now-the-fun-begins-help-needed.html)

aklim 01-17-2019 05:50 PM

Gas in Diesel fixed. Now the fun begins. Help Needed

Excursion was running fine till we ran low on fuel and dumped 10 gallons of gas into the tank. Drove less than a mile before we figured it out. Towed to a shop where they dropped the tank, sucked all the fuel out and put 15 gallons of fresh fuel in and new filters. Advised me to drive for a week and change the filters again. Drove the truck home and filled up with fresh fuel from Costco on the way. Life is good or so I thought.

Last Sunday, I took the truck out for a long drive to run the fuel or tried to. Along the way, the "Water in Fuel" light came on and it started dying out. Restarted. Drove a bit more, died out. Drained the bowl and tried to continue but it kept dying out so we drove back home, all the while it tries to die out. Before it dies, it goes well. When it dies, it dies suddenly or the rpm drops very drastically and might recover. Sure, it looked like the CPS so I took out the spare one I had. I thought it was fixed. Took it to work today, about 6 minutes away. Warmed it up as a test and it worked. On the way, it died. Restarted and continued to work. About lunch time, I idled it for 10 minutes and it was fine. Drove home, died again. Kept it for the rest of lunch idling and it was fine. Drove to work and it tried to die again.

This evening, I took it home and it also died. The CPS is the gray one. I don't think I should be throwing yet another CPS at it. Stopped by Autozone for a scan and no codes. Borrowed their more complete scanner but still no codes. It will idle but driving it isn't reliable. Below are the mods. TIA for any help.

01 Excursion. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BDP Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear. 203* thermostat and billet housing

seville009 01-17-2019 06:09 PM

Did you change the filters again? If not, I’d do that first

are you getting more water too? If so, maybe the Costco diesel is bad.

bigb56 01-17-2019 06:10 PM

Well it does sound like you are running out of fuel, I wonder if they replaced the pickup foot or if the gasoline caused deterioration of the foot or something else in the fuel system to disintegrate /break loose and clog things up. A fuel pressure gauge would be a huge asset right now.

aklim 01-17-2019 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by seville009 (Post 18424547)
Did you change the filters again? If not, I’d do that first

are you getting more water too? If so, maybe the Costco diesel is bad.

Haven't even put 100 miles on it and was planning to change the filters after a full tank. I'd say no more than 50 miles so far.

Not sure. The first time it died, the "WIF" light flashed. After that, it didn't except for this afternoon and that's that. Just a flash. Next time it dies, no light. RPM drops. Almost felt like when my accelerator pedal went bad except there were codes then, IIRC but nothing now.

aklim 01-17-2019 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by bigb56 (Post 18424549)
Well it does sound like you are running out of fuel, I wonder if they replaced the pickup foot or if the gasoline caused deterioration of the foot or something else in the fuel system to disintegrate /break loose and clog things up. A fuel pressure gauge would be a huge asset right now.

No. We removed the filter there and have the ITP in tank mod so everything is going out to the Baldwin 1212 filter and water separator before the pump. Pressure seems to be ok when I checked but I don't have a long enough hose to try at more than idle. Also have the regulated return from ITP so you can hook up a gauge to the regulator.

Bonanza35 01-17-2019 10:40 PM

Well did you check for water in your fuel? Sounds to me that's what it is. If you have fuel pressure, good fuel it should run. Hows your HPOP oil pressure? Did you check the tin nut?

Colorado350 01-17-2019 11:00 PM

How full is your tank right now?

dn29626 01-18-2019 05:13 AM

Well...changing the filters is/was a waste of filters, money and time. (It's just a feel good moment.)
You should have driven back to the filling station and topped the tank with diesel. The problem would have resolved itself. You might be surprised at how tolerant these engines are with fuel.
I question the capability of the shop. Did the shop leave something in the tank while cleaning it?
At this point, I expect you are going to have to pump the tank dry and start over.

What year is your vehicle?

aklim 01-18-2019 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado350 (Post 18425154)
How full is your tank right now?

With the gas pumped out, it is full of fresh diesel

aklim 01-18-2019 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by dn29626 (Post 18425308)
I question the capability of the shop. Did the shop leave something in the tank while cleaning it?
At this point, I expect you are going to have to pump the tank dry and start over.

What year is your vehicle?

At 10 pm at night, I did not have any choice. Still, I watched them work so tank was empty installed and filled with 15 gallons of diesel and I topped it off at Costco.

2001 Excursion

Wes444 01-18-2019 10:20 AM

Unplug the fuel bowl heater/water in fuel plug? Wonder if the gas ate the heater's wire insulation and is messing with the pcm. When my heater went bad it had your symtoms too, but didn't blow the fuse like most mention theirs doing

aklim 01-18-2019 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Wesley Green (Post 18425856)
Unplug the fuel bowl heater/water in fuel plug? Wonder if the gas ate the heater's wire insulation and is messing with the pcm

Good point I think I'll try it tonight

aklim 01-18-2019 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wesley Green (Post 18425856)
Unplug the fuel bowl heater/water in fuel plug? Wonder if the gas ate the heater's wire insulation and is messing with the pcm

What happens when you Unplug it? Does the ECM get crazy?

Colorado350 01-18-2019 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 18425868)
What happens when you Unplug it? Does the ECM get crazy?

‘Nothing happens, it just eliminates a potential issue, when the fuel bowl heater shorts out it blows fuse 30 under your dash in the truck won’t start. You can unplug it and leave it unplugged as many of us do. Although I was thinking this could be karma for advertising for Bilstein shocks...}>. Seriously though, have you tried taking a sample of fuel putting it in a clear glass to see what it looks like?

aklim 01-18-2019 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado350 (Post 18425986)

‘Nothing happens, it just eliminates a potential issue, when the fuel bowl heater shorts out it blows fuse 30 under your dash in the truck won’t start. You can unplug it and leave it unplugged as many of us do. Although I was thinking this could be karma for advertising for Bilstein shocks...}>. Seriously though, have you tried taking a sample of fuel putting it in a clear glass to see what it looks like?

I think I will go drain both the filters tonight and see what I get.