Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   Oil Filter O-rings (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1569211-oil-filter-o-rings.html)

khadma 01-16-2019 03:03 AM

Oil Filter O-rings

While changing the oil on my ʻ15 F150, I dropped the little O-ring and it landed inside the grille somewhere. I had to go to the store to get another complete oil filter to scavenge out the little O-ring.

(I also bought a pick set which made installing the O-ring easier)

Does anyone know if just the O-ring set is sold?

Or does anyone know the exact size of the small one?

ford390gashog 01-16-2019 08:46 AM

Go to the dealership and ask. They rarely change the o rings and there was plenty of them in the service bay for me to have spares.

smokewagun 01-16-2019 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 18421513)
Go to the dealership and ask. They rarely change the o rings and there was plenty of them in the service bay for me to have spares.

Me thinks you are misinterpreting the OP... or maybe I am,
The gasket or o-ring that comes with the oil filter is ALWAYS changed. Why it came off the OP’s filter is beyond me, but they can come loose. They are usually always “adhered” to new filters with adhesive in the groove, tension dimples, or just a snug fit in the groove. I have them fall off regularly when pulling off old filters during a change. Sometimes tthey even stay on the truck when the filter is removed. Had a leaky experience there... once.
The OP wouldn’t just find spares lying around the Ford Garage on the filters these new trucks use. They aren’t just tossed in the box like a “use me or not” part.
NOW, if you are thinking o-ring on the stupid quarter-turn plug the new trucks use, I agree. They are almost never changed.
I could be wrong, but I’ve never seen in over 800 filters on Gords a gasket on an oil filter for the F150 that comes intentionality unattached to the filter from Motorcraft, Fram, AC Delco, Purolator, Wix, etc. My past 6.0L and 6.4L diesels had separate o-rings, but they were for the cover, and came as a standard part with the filter.

Tdog02 01-16-2019 12:49 PM

I'm assuming that you are talking about the 2.7 cartridge filter, correct? If so, I've been changing my oil since new and went 4 oil changes on the O rings with no issues whatsoever. Next time you change the oil, leave the O ring that you scavenged from the new package and drive on with confidence.

I imagine that there are a lot of the O rings left laying around the oil change stations at the dealership because I doubt they change them. I have not found a source or part number for them individually.

ford390gashog 01-16-2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by smokewagun (Post 18422034)

Me thinks you are misinterpreting the OP... or maybe I am,
The gasket or o-ring that comes with the oil filter is ALWAYS changed. Why it came off the OP’s filter is beyond me, but they can come loose. They are usually always “adhered” to new filters with adhesive in the groove, tension dimples, or just a snug fit in the groove. I have them fall off regularly when pulling off old filters during a change. Sometimes tthey even stay on the truck when the filter is removed. Had a leaky experience there... once.
The OP wouldn’t just find spares lying around the Ford Garage on the filters these new trucks use. They aren’t just tossed in the box like a “use me or not” part.
NOW, if you are thinking o-ring on the stupid quarter-turn plug the new trucks use, I agree. They are almost never changed.
I could be wrong, but I’ve never seen in over 800 filters on Gords a gasket on an oil filter for the F150 that comes intentionality unattached to the filter from Motorcraft, Fram, AC Delco, Purolator, Wix, etc. My past 6.0L and 6.4L diesels had separate o-rings, but they were for the cover, and came as a standard part with the filter.

I was referring to the cartridge filter that's used on the 2.7. When the OP said small o ring I figured he meant the o ring for the stem. The 2.7 oil filter is a cartridge, the o rings are in a bag separate from the filter and in the box the filter comes in.

smokewagun 01-16-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 18422100)
I was referring to the cartridge filter that's used on the 2.7. When the OP said small o ring I figured he meant the o ring for the stem. The 2.7 oil filter is a cartridge, the o rings are in a bag separate from the filter and in the box the filter comes in.

Ahhhhh. I’m ignorant on the 2.7L. Sorry about that!

khadma 01-17-2019 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 18422100)

Yes, It was the new one that fell off my grille while I was moving things around. I CUT THE OLD SMALL ONE OFF.

It fell somewhere in the grille area, it will stay there for sure.