Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   Part ordering woes (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1569197-part-ordering-woes.html)

66merc100 01-15-2019 10:16 PM

Part ordering woes

Just wanting to know if anyone else has experienced this.
I had been eyeing a certain parts catalogue for many weeks. I finally decided to try and order a trial part just to check quality. Mind you this was a big company's catalogue. I picked out the part a drivers floor pan. I put it in the shopping cart and thought I would add another part too. Both parts total around 105.00 Not too bad. I hit check out ,put in my address blah blah blah canada. So I hit total or whatever it is. So they add 30.00 shipping ok that is not too bad. So next page is total. Imagine my surprise the total read 205.00. Really wipe my glasses yup still 205.00 no flippin way. So I go back a page and delete order. Rip off city. Any one else have that lovely experience?

Christmas 01-15-2019 10:39 PM

I always call them and place an order so I can ask questions. I would call them at first light.

wyrm73 01-15-2019 10:57 PM

Yeah, shop around. Sometimes it is just an odd sized item that makes shipping higher than usual. I have had orders do that and I pull selective items and the shipping returns to normal. Other sellers are just known for ridiculous shipping rates. I won't mention names, but it rhymes with LMC.

Tedster9 01-15-2019 11:42 PM

Be sure to shop around, many of the parts for our trucks are made by a specific company and are re-sold by several of the big catalog outfits. Sometimes marked up quite a bit. Find out who makes them or who the supplier is and buy direct. If the catalog co. has an eBay store sometimes I've had better luck through that in terms of service or "backordered" BS. Negative customer feedback tends to keep them on their toes a bit more, maybe. For NOS parts, most of them are usually pretty good and know what they are doing and are run by car guys.

6t6merc 01-18-2019 12:07 PM

Yes, I have had similar experiences here in Vancouver. I try to pay in US$ and, because I live close to Wa state, I pick up the parts and cross the border myself. Some shippers, notably UPS, add a "broker's fee" (for which you receive nothing) if they carry the package over a border. I always request that purchases be shipped by US Mail/Canada Post. Those two bodies are trying hard to compete with the couriers and do a good job, IMO.
Eric

66v8baby 01-18-2019 01:58 PM

If you buy enough parts from enough different sources, you're bound to run into that eventually, but it's probably worse when buying something from the US to ship to Canada. I lived in Saint-Sauveur, Quebec in '93 and bought a Mustang 5.0 distributor with the roller cam gear for a hot rod project I was working on. I ended up having it sent to a Post Office in New York and I drove down to pick it up because that was easier/cheaper than trying to send it direct to my house.

I had a blast that year but gained a whole new appreciation for what COLD really was!

66merc100 01-19-2019 10:36 PM

Wyrm73 yup that was the same company I was trying not to mention in my OP. Thank you all for the advise I have since ordered from another us company with a lot less bs. That company ryhmes with npd.