Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   2003 F250 Miles? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1569103-2003-f250-miles.html)

AndrewPowers 01-15-2019 09:24 AM

2003 F250 Miles?

I am looking to buy a diesel truck, I have looked at a few around the area, and found a 03 F250 with 265,000 miles. Is that too many? Is there anything I should be worried about?

Fefanatic 01-15-2019 10:18 AM

Can you get a maintenance history on the truck? It's not just the engine that has 265k miles on it. You need to check transmission, rear, front end steering components, wheel bearings, u-joints, shocks, springs, and just about everything else. I've seen a lot of trucks with those miles on them but some were decent and others were pretty rickety. I wouldn't be giving a premium price for it. JMO

AndrewPowers 01-15-2019 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fefanatic (Post 18419550)
Can you get a maintenance history on the truck? It's not just the engine that has 265k miles on it. You need to check transmission, rear, front end steering components, wheel bearings, u-joints, shocks, springs, and just about everything else. I've seen a lot of trucks with those miles on them but some were decent and others were pretty rickety. I wouldn't be giving a premium price for it. JMO

Premium? Seller is asking $3950 for it, I go to take a look and make the decision tomorrow.

I know this is a Ford truck forum, but I also have the option of a less than 200k 97 Check 2500 6.5l, would that be better? It's only 2wd and I'm looking for 4wd preferably because of snow here.

Batman7777 01-15-2019 05:36 PM

That's huge amount of time and miles..
2003 is 16 years old.. You'll be starting off with a vehicle that is on its last leg.
265,000 miles is long on use.. That's like an 80+ year old with only a little left.

I'm not gutsy enough for something that old and been around the block many many times. Maybe they will give it to you for $1,000

AndrewPowers 01-15-2019 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Batman7777 (Post 18420363)
That's huge amount of time and miles..
2003 is 16 years old.. You'll be starting off with a vehicle that is on its last leg.
265,000 miles is long on use.. That's like an 80+ year old with only a little left.

I'm not gutsy enough for something that old and been around the block many many times. Maybe they will give it to you for $1,000

They won't take that low for it, the problem is the truck market here is bad, and for a 4wd Turbo Diesel that's not rusted out that's about the specs of one, some going for the same price with 300,000+ miles.

So if everything does check out, looks replaced/newer parts and maintenance records, then it might be worth it?

Mike189677 01-15-2019 07:07 PM

What engine is in the truck there were 2 diesels available in 2003. If the answer is the 6.0 you need to do some more research on what to look for before purchasing. They can be a great motor but if you don’t know what your doing or get one that hasn’t been maintained well or some combination of the 2 your going to be spending far more than the purchase price to get it back up and running especially if you can’t do your own work.

AndrewPowers 01-15-2019 07:21 PM

It is the 6.0, I did some research and found the EGR Valve and Cooler to be very problematic. I find it hard to believe this truck has gone 265,000 miles without fixing/replacing or deleting the EGR completely, as well as other major maintenance such as the head gasket.

As I said earlier, the truck market is bad and I'd like to get something 4wd that's a diesel for hauling stuff.

So if I check everything well, no check engine light/codes, no rust, and after a test drive everything seems well what would be a good offer? Original asking was $3950.

AndrewPowers 01-15-2019 09:05 PM

Update: Just told they have service records since 120k and it has an EGR delete, oil cooler, and newer injectors.

Good buy for 3,900 or not?

Batman7777 01-15-2019 09:13 PM

Hope you don't live in an area that requires emissions check. You have to use your best judgement. Stand back and evaluate the item for what you know.

Take it for a ride, look it over. Get someone to look at it.

AndrewPowers 01-15-2019 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Batman7777 (Post 18420862)
Hope you don't live in an area that requires emissions check. You have to use your best judgement. Stand back and evaluate the item for what you know.

Take it for a ride, look it over. Get someone to look at it.

No emissions check here, thankfully. I have done a bit of research and know what to look for in terms of things failing, at least those that can be seen by the naked eye.

Colorado350 01-15-2019 09:59 PM

EGR Delete … so 6.0L? My understanding is the early 6.0 had the problems...

Mike189677 01-16-2019 12:20 AM

​​​​​At an absolute bare minimum you need to buy an obdii device that can dean live data and test drive the truck and check the charging system voltage ficm voltage and the oil and coolant temps and the difference between them which will give you a look at the health of the oil cooler. The coolant temp needs to reach 186° to be fully warmed up and perform the delta test. The procedure is on here you need to read up on it before driving the truck, it maybe in that thread I linked below. If you can’t find it through a search I’ll link it if your going to do it. I would also recommend you read through this https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12069409&postcount=6 there is a lot of good info in here. If your not willing to buy an obdii monitor to read data on the test drive do not buy this or any 6.0 your setting yourself up for failure, if you have to have a diesel find a 7.3 or go to a gas motor. If the live data checks out and it’s in decent shape it wouldnt be a bad buy but just like any used vehicle it could break on the way home or make it another 100k but when these break they ain’t cheap to fix. The chances of you having to spend more to fix the truck than you paid for it in the next couple years are pretty decent, and from your post and I could be wrong but it doesn’t sound like you have a ton of mechanical knowledge and less diesel know how so your likely going to be paying someone to do the work and that adds up quick.
Edit: that wasn’t the thread I thought it was that I linked above still worth reading though.I would spend some time here though lots to learn and I’ll see if I can find the one I was looking for later. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ch-folder.html