Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum287/)
-   -   Where's the Luxury 5th Wheel Toy Haulers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1568717-wheres-the-luxury-5th-wheel-toy-haulers.html)

stufarmer 01-12-2019 12:01 PM

Where's the Luxury 5th Wheel Toy Haulers

My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of buying a 5th Wheel Toy Hauler.
So far we've been disappointed with the lack of Luxury, or the appearance of Luxury offered by the Grand Design Momentum, Raptor, Fusion and Cyclone Toy Haulers. With the exception of the Drv Full House, they all share a common theme of Dark Grey and Brown Cabinetry with matching Upholstery. Missing the choices of Maple, Oak or Cherry Woodwork with the expected Beige, Taupe and Ivory Upholstery typically found in 5th Wheels. Are we the only ones wanting a (normal) 5th Wheel that has a Garage?

SecondChance 01-12-2019 12:32 PM

Luxe
DRV
New Horizons

HRTKD 01-12-2019 12:40 PM

Aluminum Trailer Company (ATC) supposedly can be customized. But the cabinetry is aluminum. You could cover it with whatever vinyl graphic you wanted. But it still ends up a very utilitarian looking trailer, not a luxury scheme.

I'm not a fan of the dark colors either. I like lighter colors but not plain white.

BBslider001 01-12-2019 12:51 PM

Plenty of "luxury" toyhaulers out there. Keep looking.

stufarmer 01-12-2019 04:59 PM

The LUX, DRV & New Horizons are well in excess of 20,000 lbs. and start at 44 ft long. We owned a Royals International in the 90's. Never again will I tow anything that heavy.

HRTKD 01-12-2019 05:11 PM

The weight of a toy hauler is the biggest negative for me. However, I've become spoiled with the amenities that come with a toy hauler such as big tanks and generator.

Army RET 01-12-2019 11:45 PM

I really like the DRV's, but ... there are no toys in my future and Interior trim colors would play a secondary place to me.

I like the idea of a premium /luxury 5th wheel but I want it to be compact (yet spacious) - w/ 3-4 slides, and maxing out at 32-34 feet.
That'd be plenty for the two of us (with large dogs) and an occasional overnight guest (or two young grandkids).

It'd be easier to pull - and easier to find an overnight spot.

We all have different needs. Best of luck in your search.

HRTKD 01-13-2019 12:22 AM

I had a thought to find the absolute shortest triple axle fifth wheel. I like the redundancy of a third axle. More maintenance though with an extra pair of bearing, brakes and tires.

CGMKCM 01-21-2019 09:53 AM

A hybrid Toy Hauler may be an option. I like the idea, but have not seen one in person.

https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-whe...h-fifth-wheel/

traveldawg 01-21-2019 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by stufarmer (Post 18413855)
My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of buying a 5th Wheel Toy Hauler.
So far we've been disappointed with the lack of Luxury, or the appearance of Luxury offered by the Grand Design Momentum, Raptor, Fusion and Cyclone Toy Haulers. With the exception of the Drv Full House, they all share a common theme of Dark Grey and Brown Cabinetry with matching Upholstery. Missing the choices of Maple, Oak or Cherry Woodwork with the expected Beige, Taupe and Ivory Upholstery typically found in 5th Wheels. Are we the only ones wanting a (normal) 5th Wheel that has a Garage?

I kind of feel you pain. My wife and I moved from a Class A to our current fifth wheel. I'm not saying you are doing the same, but we found no comparison to the nice finishes, color choices, fabric choices, etc. available in fifth wheels vs. Class A's. We finally settled on a Grand Design Solitude. There were a bunch of compromises but feel we did OK. Good luck.

wingedone 02-04-2019 04:20 PM

We are looking at getting a Solitude 374th. Toy box without the feel of a "toy hauler". Feels nice inside. And I can put the bed down, with my Goldwing still in the box. That is important to me. Most with this floorplan, the box is too low when the bed is down for my GW. I don't want to have to change out my tall windscreen. I don't want to have to get the bike out just to use the bed.

Another option is the Riverstone 39FKTH. Same configuration, and higher end, with a higher price tag (about 20k over the Solitude). Wife loved the front kitchen though.

There are several other brands now coming out with this configuration. The Jayco had very little clothing storage in the bedroom. The others we looked at either were to small in the box or had obvious quality issues.