Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Clear coat popping, anyone ever wrap? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1568690-clear-coat-popping-anyone-ever-wrap.html)

6_Myles 01-12-2019 07:14 AM

Clear coat popping, anyone ever wrap?

Hi all, the clear coat on a lot of my upward facing surfaces have bubbled or appear to be starting. Got a quote of $5-6k to repair.

Has anyone every wrapped their whole excursion? I would want it to be factory paint color.

Thanks!

unleashd 01-12-2019 04:26 PM

I did consider this and asked a couple of shops. Prices here in No VA are in the 4-6K rang and top of the line quality was upwards of 8K :-huh For now, I'll live with the various battle scars on mine.

6_Myles 01-12-2019 04:45 PM

yeah....seems to be just as expensive to wrap fully as it is to paint it fully.

Markken 01-12-2019 09:19 PM

From talking to the one shop I am willing to deal with, quality of work and all.

Around $5k is spot on for any truck or large SUV.

Another possible option would be to get the bedliner/under carriage spray from Raptor, they have a pretty decent stock of colors, some are really close to stock ex colors.

Nice thing about the bedliner spray is you don't have to be as skilled to make it look nice like with paint. Kid I bought mine from did it, and it actually looks pretty nice, I have gotten several complements and random "that is awesome what did you use?"

I wouldn't personally have picked black, and have been kicking around the idea of doing it over, since I repaired the rusty rockers, to a different color. And might as well spray the whole underside while I am at it.

96firephoenix 01-16-2019 10:10 AM

Even if you do go the route of a wrap, the flaking clear will still bubble underneath the wrap.

You're better off spot-treating it with a light wetsand and some rattle-can clear coat.

PHILIPBH1 01-17-2019 12:12 PM

We got ours wrapped in VA fro about 2500$, it has held up very well. its gloss black underneath and matte grey 3M wrap.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...8fe3063a65.jpg

unleashd 01-17-2019 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by PHILIPBH1 (Post 18423976)
We got ours wrapped in VA fro about 2500$, it has held up very well. its gloss black underneath and matte grey 3M wrap.

Where in VA? I remember asking this question earlier }>

Pirublues 01-18-2019 10:38 AM

Wrap it yourself. Vinyl isnt that expensive especially if you buy a lot. A friend and I wrapped his Tesla model S about 3 years ago. Still holding up well and only spot that doesnt look great is inside the door jam.

PHILIPBH1 01-18-2019 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by unleashd (Post 18424662)

We got it done in Fredericksburg VA. If thats close enough for you I'll get the contact info.

unleashd 01-18-2019 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by PHILIPBH1 (Post 18426094)
We got it done in Fredericksburg VA. If thats close enough for you I'll get the contact info.

Sure. Its about an hour drive for me.

uglypitbull 02-03-2019 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by 96firephoenix (Post 18421727)
You're better off spot-treating it with a light wetsand and some rattle-can clear coat.

How long will this last? I think the PO of my Ex did this...if I look at it closely, I can see the tape line still. I plan on using the white Raptor liner in the future, but I am looking for something in the meantime that will keep any rust from forming if the paint gets scratched. I had to have my windshield removed and the metal sandblasted/primed in order to stop the leaks. That's when I was told about the "hatchet paint/clear job" from the PO.

00t444e 02-03-2019 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Markken (Post 18414899)
Another possible option would be to get the bedliner/under carriage spray from Raptor, they have a pretty decent stock of colors, some are really close to stock ex colors.

Nice thing about the bedliner spray is you don't have to be as skilled to make it look nice like with paint. Kid I bought mine from did it, and it actually looks pretty nice, I have gotten several complements and random "that is awesome what did you use?"

I wouldn't personally have picked black, and have been kicking around the idea of doing it over, since I repaired the rusty rockers, to a different color. And might as well spray the whole underside while I am at it.

Raptor liner is the cheapest option and its easy to do. I Raptor lined my Dakota for $300-400 and it looks great, I get complements on it all the time.

charles adams 02-04-2019 12:18 PM

How many cans would it take to do an entire X? 7 or 8?