Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   07 F-150 one issue after another now I'm stumped (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1568537-07-f-150-one-issue-after-another-now-im-stumped.html)

dyson77 01-10-2019 04:02 PM

07 F-150 one issue after another now I'm stumped

So I have been having issues with my truck lately 07 F-150 4.6 V8 STX
it started with a miss on #7 so I started to change the plugs and saw the entire right side was covered in oil.
So I took it to my shop to replace the blown gaskets ( honestly it was in the middle of a snow storm and I didn't want to do it in the snow )
Ended up replacing all but 3 coils and all the plugs . then I went ahead and replaced all the fuel injectors
I had a slight stutter so I ran Seafoam and lost the stutter.
Then it was showing P2196 and p2198 But I cleared them out on the recommendation it may be left over from before everything was changed,
it popped a code saying EGR bank 2 so I went and changed the EGR because it was rusted pretty badly and I was hearing a high pitch whine when I was accelerating
and the EGR tube connecting to the manifold cleared all codes and drove it for two days about 100 miles
last night it popped a new code P0430

I ran torque pro live results and it failed two areas
MID $22 TID:$80
Catalyst Monitor bank 2
Min 0Ratio Max: 0.609ratio
Current 0.754ratio

AND

MID $32 TID$82
Egr monitor Bank 2
Min -32.768kPa Max : -32.659kPa
Current : -0.845kPa
So I am completely stumped . the only thing on the EGR I didn't replace is the dual rubber lines off the top. What else could it be?

steve(ill) 01-10-2019 08:20 PM

the 2196 and 2198 codes are for #1 bank and #2 bank O2 sensors... The code says you have excess fuel at the O2 sensor.. Normally a misfire, or leaking injectors, bad spark plugs etc.. You have no misfire, so lets assume its not the plugs. ( what brand of plugs did you install ?) Since you just replace all the injectors, I would make sure they installed the 4.6 size and not the 5.4 motor size. injectors........... the P0430 means the excess fuel is starting to effect you catalytic converter on the drivers side.

----------------or are you saying all the codes are gone except the 0430 ?? That is cat converter problems starting on the drivers side.... due to previous fuel problems.

dyson77 01-11-2019 10:50 AM

I apologize I worded it wrong in the original post the first two codes popped before I replaced the fuel injectors.
they are gone now. I installed auto light platinum plugs and Lifetime bwd coils.

yes the only code I am currently showing is the p0430
and when I run real-time information in Torque pro I get these two errors as well I can post a screen capture if you like
MID $22 TID:$80
Catalyst Monitor bank 2
Min 0Ratio Max: 0.609ratio
Current 0.754ratio

AND

MID $32 TID$82
Egr monitor Bank 2
Min -32.768kPa Max : -32.659kPa
Current : -0.845kPa

steve(ill) 01-11-2019 01:24 PM

Top Causes of P0430 in the Ford F150

https://i0.wp.com/www.700r4transmiss...esize=300%2C90

There are many things that can cause the P0430 trouble code in your F150. Here are the most common ones.
  • Oxygen Sensor– The P0430 codes is thrown when the oxygen sensors on both sides of the exhaust have very similar readings. When the oxygen sensor is bad, it can cause a false reading and trigger the code.If the engine does not exhibit any of the decreased performance associated with a bad catalytic converter, it very well may be the oxygen sensor (or you haven’t noticed the performance loss yet).
  • Catalytic Converter– A catalytic converter is responsible for scrubbing out as much pollution as possible from the F150’s exhaust. Over time, they can become clogged. Although, modern catalytic converters are supposed to last the life of most vehicles, os there could be some underlying problem if it has clogged.
  • O2 Sensor Wiring– Over time, the oxygen sensor wiring can go bad. It is especially volatile since it is right next to the hot exhaust at all times. The downstream oxygen sensor wiring is especially volatile since it is so far from the ECM (more distance to travel.

dyson77 01-11-2019 02:58 PM

So at this point would you recommend replacing both 02 sensors before I delve into the cats?

steve(ill) 01-11-2019 04:15 PM

Im no expert, but if it was the O2 sensor I would think there would be additional codes ? ........... but its any ones guess at this point........... I bet the Torque Pro data is trying to lead you to something, but I cant say what.

dyson77 01-11-2019 08:16 PM

very true but of the reason codes listed above the only ones left are the O2 sensor and O2 sensor wiring and the catalytic converter and since you are two sensors considerably cheaper I would think that might be the best bet

pdqford 01-11-2019 09:26 PM

MID $22 TID $80 is testing the rear to front ratio of the bank 2 CAT monitor tests and it failed.
How long has cyl #7 been misfiring?

MID $32 TID $82 is testing the upstream DPFE hose and it failed the test.

dyson77 01-12-2019 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by pdqford (Post 18413079)
MID $22 TID $80 is testing the rear to front ratio of the bank 2 CAT monitor tests and it failed.
How long has cyl #7 been misfiring?

MID $32 TID $82 is testing the upstream DPFE hose and it failed the test.

you may have to dumb it down a little bit for me here. does that mean I need to replace the rubber hoses on the egr?
and the bank to does that mean I should replace the cat or the o2

steve(ill) 01-12-2019 01:14 PM

not that simple.. it says the O2 sensors front and back ran a ratio test and it FAILED... Could be one of the O2 sensors was BAD, or could be they are reading correct and the CAT is not doing its job.

dyson77 01-12-2019 03:59 PM

well the question of the day is is there a way to test if your catalytic converter is working properly the only thing I've read is you can walk up to it and smack it and if you hear rattling it's bad. my only concern is if I take it to Joe Blow muffler shop would they be honest and tell me that it was actually bad or is there a way for me to check myself

pdqford 01-12-2019 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by dyson77 (Post 18413558)
you may have to dumb it down a little bit for me here. does that mean I need to replace the rubber hoses on the egr?2

I don’t know about a rubber hose on the egr.
But I would check the upstream hose on the DPFE.
Is it loose? Leaking? Completely plugged with carbon?
How many miles on vehicle?

pdqford 01-12-2019 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by dyson77 (Post 18413558)
and the bank to does that mean I should replace the cat or the o2

Typically you will get a code if an O2 sensor fails when the PCM runs an O2 test.
Try graphing both the upstream and downstream O2 sensors and see if they are different.
If they track one another the CAT isn’t doing much.

dyson77 01-13-2019 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by pdqford (Post 18414857)

I don’t know about a rubber hose on the egr.
But I would check the upstream hose on the DPFE.
Is it loose? Leaking? Completely plugged with carbon?
How many miles on vehicle?

it has 130,000 miles on it I just replaced the full EGR assembly and there was two plastic ports that connected t two rubber boots along with a stainless line that ran to the manifold that I replaced,
forgive me but I don't know what a DPFE is I am still learning the terminology

dyson77 01-13-2019 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by pdqford (Post 18414865)

Typically you will get a code if an O2 sensor fails when the PCM runs an O2 test.
Try graphing both the upstream and downstream O2 sensors and see if they are different.
If they track one another the CAT isn’t doing much.

I was reading some about removing the downstream o2 and then customizing the cat has anyone done this before? would it effect the performance of the truck. the upstream would still be there and that's the one that it bases the lean rich ratio correct?