Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/)
-   -   Problem here 5.4 2V (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1568523-problem-here-5-4-2v.html)

Richard S 01-10-2019 03:05 PM

Problem here 5.4 2V

Hi Brothers in grease ~ 2001 Lariat 150 ~ 5.4 ~ This morning started for town ~ overdrive light was showing: OFF ~ engine struggled to move out from a stop ~ the check engine soon light came on ``` What do you think ~ sure like to hear ~ I'm going out to look for a vacuum hose is off the modulator ( tranny )~ if the is a vacuum driven modulator on this ~ first sigh of trouble ~ seems like out of the blue ```

My code reader is down at the lower ranch ~ damn ```

Richard

Richard S 01-10-2019 05:17 PM

I checked the ATF ~ ashamed to say I had not checked the ATF ~ just got the truck ~ the ATF is just on the bottom of the stick I'll top it up ~ if that the problem ~ I'll change and filter ```

Richard S 01-11-2019 03:27 PM

Well wasn't that low on ATF ```

What I have is the dreaded Blinking OD light ``` I've read the thread on Blinking Overdrive Light ~ I'm going to change the Transmission filter first off ```

I don't have the truck here it's at the upper ranch ~ I'd like to get the filter and oil before I go back up Sunday ```

2001 Ford Lariat 150 - 5.4 would that be a: 4R100 trany ?????????

Thanks

Im50fast 01-11-2019 05:50 PM

Man I’m sorry no one is responding.
You hve a tough problem there. Have you hooked up a code scanner?

Sam I Am 01-11-2019 05:53 PM

Could have had either a 4R70W (U) or a 4R100 (E). Check the certification label in the drivers door jamb.
Changing fluid and filter is not going to fix the OD light blinking. Get the codes read. Anything else is just guessing.

Also, you may get more involvement in your threads if you don't use weird punctuation.
It's creepy and makes me want to go wash my hands after I look at one of your posts.

JWA 01-12-2019 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sam I Am (Post 18412689)
Also, you may get more involvement in your threads if you don't use weird punctuation.
It's creepy and makes me want to go wash my hands after I look at one of your posts.

Never thought of it that way but good point even if a bit humorous. :)

The OD light blinking is a code of sorts relating to the transmission operation. Counting the repeating flashes will reveal what DTC has been triggered. This should be a pattern of flashes something like one flash, a pause then three more flashes---and the whole pattern repeats itself.

Also my guess on your transmission is a 4R70W or possibly 4R75W----that light duty and year of a truck might not have received the 4R100 but as suggested read the door label.

projectSHO89 01-12-2019 08:11 AM

The OD light blinking is a code of sorts relating to the transmission operation. Counting the repeating flashes will reveal what DTC has been triggered. This should be a pattern of flashes something like one flash, a pause then three more flashes---and the whole pattern repeats itself.
Nope. It just flashes.but does not communicate any fault codes. You have to use a scan tool that includes manufacturer-specific codes reading support to pull all of the possible transmission-related fault codes. A cheap code reader isn't going to cut it.

alloro 01-12-2019 10:56 AM

LOL, that's hilarious! :-missingt

Richard S 01-12-2019 12:28 PM

Thanks for coming by, I was thinking if the return filter or in pan filter is restricting the flow a Sensor might shut it down and put it in Limp mode
Over drive OFF light on Shift knob light on .
The truck is at the upper ranch I'll take the code reader up there Sunday , there is a Check Engine Soon light on, I understand it's limitations

What is you thought , I plan to check for burned wires , anything visual like the VSS sensor and others. I'll have a look I think and see what transmission it has by Vin and door label .

Any suggestions ???

Thank you Iam50fast

Richard

Sam I Am 01-12-2019 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Richard S (Post 18413897)

Any suggestions ???

Still the same one.

Get the codes read. Anything else is just guessing.

Originally Posted by projectSHO89 (Post 18413455)
Nope. It just flashes.but does not communicate any fault codes. You have to use a scan tool that includes manufacturer-specific codes reading support to pull all of the possible transmission-related fault codes. A cheap code reader isn't going to cut it.

dogdays 01-22-2019 11:09 AM

Go ahead and change fluid and filter

Changing fluid and filter won't make the problem go away. Remember that the truck has to be idling in Park with transmission warm when you check the fluid.

That the truck struggles to get started tells me that it is in 2nd gear, meaning it's in limp home mode.

Read the codes, my O'Reilly's has a reader that does it, I imagine most parts stores do. It's a pretty comprehensive system, wouldn't be there except that Uncle Sam said it had to be.

R.