Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   North Carolina Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum88/)
-   -   Spring 2019 BS thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1568375-spring-2019-bs-thread.html)

Sparky83 01-09-2019 11:54 AM

Spring 2019 BS thread

Since Josh closed the 2018 winter thread and forgot to open a spring one for 2019... Heres the spring one... Little early for spring but better early than never lol...

Sparky83 01-09-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Crossing threads there Sparky? Couldn't sleep so got up around 4 and headed to the shop this morning.. Now I'm getting down to work... and I could really use a couple more hours of sleep. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/i...ies2/sleep.gif

and to answer the question.. yeah i wasnt wanting to fill up the what your working on thread with chittery chattery... thats what the BS threads for.. :)

Benztechnc 01-09-2019 05:02 PM

Thanks Shawn, I asked the mods to close out the 2018 thread, not realizing we were still chatting on the 2018 thread. Guess I lose a point as chapter leader on that. Oh well, I don't know who is keeping score..

Wow.. that early morning has wiped me out..

Sparky83 01-09-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Benztechnc (Post 18408817)
Thanks Shawn, I asked the mods to close out the 2018 thread, not realizing we were still chatting on the 2018 thread. Guess I lose a point as chapter leader on that. Oh well, I don't know who is keeping score..

Wow.. that early morning has wiped me out..

lol no worries Josh... i thought the CL had the ability to close threads in their own sections?? mehh ohh well.... i think last year the winter thread was 2017/2018 mix... but this year it was only 2018... so well just start the spring one early... lol

Benztechnc 01-10-2019 08:35 AM

I'm fine with that, I could use an early spring. I could also use an EASY button when trying to decide on this new toy. Right now, I want to get the one ton back on the road, and put the big trailer and the Jeep behind it. See how it does towing. I have a plan, but I'll need that thing driving. Still not sure if I am crazy for planning a long road trip in a 30 year old truck, or just a miser...

Sparky83 01-10-2019 04:08 PM

30 year truck will be happy to pull it... :) says give me work... lol

i finished the waterpump job today... what shoulda been an hr took me 4 to finish... every piece i had left fought me trying to go back in... and with the strong COLD wind blowing across the property we setup a little wind break for me to work under...

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...53482ae8d0.jpg

while i was waiting for the engine to warm up i crawled under the back to look at the u-joints... its looking like ill need to change them... the center one seems to be leaking now... got that trail of dirt coated grease around the joints.. but also need to change one of the hubs and get new batts... least the hubs under warranty... batterys and u-joints are another story.... need to see what the u-joints will be... the ones that were in the forward shaft were EXPENSIVE!!

Sparky83 01-11-2019 08:49 AM

test post to see if we can post today...

Benztechnc 01-11-2019 09:22 AM

test post since I can't post today

Sparky83 01-11-2019 09:49 AM

looks like your out of post jail lol

Benztechnc 01-11-2019 09:55 AM

Yes, I am. Must have hit yesterday at some point, as I wrote several different posts yesterday on different threads, and I see that none of them actually went through. I guess I better watch my P's and Q's. I appreciate you taking the time to bail me out! Did you get the truck done under the makeshift wind break?

Sparky83 01-11-2019 11:16 AM

its back together and refilled... but theres still the dieing batteries, one of the 2 front hub bearings seems to be going... and noticed yesterday when i crawled under the truck waiting for it to warm up to finish refilling it that one of the u-joints on the rear driveshaft has started to leak its grease out... went out and dropped the shaft from the center joint today to measure the joint... apparently they have 2 different sizes for my truck... but mines the more expensive larger one... i like the non-servicable/non-greaseable ones because i have a hard time remembering to grease things lol.. plus the fitting always ends up in the wrong places to get them.... unfortunately theyre $33 each and need 3 of them since i like to replace them in sets instead of just 1 at a time...

GLR 01-11-2019 06:48 PM

Was having trouble posting earlier too. Just renewed my 3 year subscription and couldn't post...
Nice windbreak, Shawn. I do know how that "open air garage" is.

Sparky83 01-11-2019 06:50 PM

gets a little annoying when ya got hurricane force winds blowing across the property making it even colder than it already was... lol

btw george.. you ever run greaseable u-joints in any of your vehicles??

GLR 01-11-2019 07:01 PM

Shawn, I like to run greaseable joints when ever they get changed. Some times more expensive, sometimes less expensive than no-grease ones.
The thing is to situate the u-joint so the fittings all line up and so a grease gun tip will fit in. I have messed up a few times so I bought a grease gun adapter tip to reach the fitting.

Sparky83 01-11-2019 07:41 PM

ive always run the non-greaseables because im horrible at remembering to grease them things.. (ntm that fitting always seems to be in the most inconvenient positions every time i need to hit them)... but with still being without work the greaseables are about $14 cheaper and would be changing 3 of them.. so was going to throw them in till i got back to work.. but since ive never had them personally i was wondering how often you were supposed to greased them.. do you pump till the grease comes out the seals??

every time ive worked on a vehicle that did have them the one thing i always found was the grease was flung off onto everything surrounding the joint and gathered dirt and other crap with them... thats the other reason i like the non-greaseables...