Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2021+ Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum293/)
-   -   Bronco units sold? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1568325-bronco-units-sold.html)

hd4ever 01-08-2019 08:16 PM

Bronco units sold?

How does ford tally up numbers to know if it is worth bringing back the Bronco? If It is suppose to compete with the Wrangler it better be big. If it is like the Blazer it will tank big time.

PrescottIce 01-09-2019 09:54 AM

I don't know how they do it specifically, but I'm sure they look at their competitor's numbers as a key metric. Jeep is killing it because the Wrangler is marketed as the only machine in the hardcore offroad-capable market segment, and almost everyone believes that to be true. If the new Bronco is truly a stout, capable competitor, it will still have an uphill climb (pun intended) as Jeep already owns that space - Ford will have to convince and convert customers, not an easy task when dealing with Harley-Davidson/Corvette-style brand loyalty found in many Jeep owners.

Not sure a Blazer-like car would "tank" - look at all the Explorers out there. Ford would have to be more concerned with competing with themselves in the small to midsize SUV market - how many do they already have in their lineup? A Blazer clone will tank with us enthusiasts, but we're almost (if not entirely) insignificant to Detroit. Even the vast majority of the most capable enthusiast model of Wrangler out there, the Rubicon - most are just "look at me!" mom cars that accomplish daily tasks more closely aligned with the capabilities of a Kia Soul.

Stampede.Offroad 01-09-2019 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by hd4ever (Post 18407075)
How does ford tally up numbers to know if it is worth bringing back the Bronco? If It is suppose to compete with the Wrangler it better be big. If it is like the Blazer it will tank big time.

Fortunately Ford doesn't need the Bronco to be a crossover, they have several of those already, of all different sizes. What Ford doesn't have is a rugged offroader that is nimble and maneuverable. Sure, there is the F150 Raptor, which is their go-fast offroader, but that thing is over 7 feet wide, 20 feet long, and over 3 tons.

I've read several things that have said Ford is going after Jeep with the Bronco, but it has been fan speculation that they meant a head-to-head battle with the Wrangler. Only a recent "spy" shot of a 2-door Wrangler at the Ford proving grounds lent any credence to that hope.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...99eb1662b4.jpg
Ford Benchmarks Jeep Wrangler - Is It For The 2020 Bronco?

Most of the Jeep lineup is just more crossovers with wishful thinking "Trail Rated" packages that dress their unibodies up with decals. The Wrangler is the only model that has real off road capability and it lends that image to the rest of the Jeep lineup -- and that is exactly what Ford needs the Bronco to do for their fleet of unibody independent suspension crossovers, which is part of why I hold some hope that the Bronco will have some genuine and impressive capability.

The Bronco could also serve to draw customers into the showroom or onto the lot the way a Raptor or Mustang would, and have them leaving with a more modest, affordable, or practical unit like an Escape, Edge or Explorer. Maybe they like the idea of going way offroad in a retro styled Bronco with rugged hardware, give it a test drive and decide they need a little more space, better fuel economy, comfy ride, etc. and try out one of Fords 'E' models which just happen to be right there.

DieselBeast01 01-09-2019 08:16 PM

If this thing is anywhere near as capable as the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, it will be a great step in the right direction for Ford. Like said above, Ford doesn't need anymore unibody crossovers, they have plenty, so they don't need another one to compete in sales with the ones they already have. Most people are leaning towards the new Bronco to build more like the trucks. Frame and body seperate, which would allow for things like solid axles, high ground clearance, etc. Things that the Jeep has. Hopefully, this is the route that Ford is going, but yet again, there have been no updates out FoMoCo about the Bronco other than "yeah, we are building a new one", so no one actually knows what it will be/look like/do.