Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Electrical Gremlin Help, I have DTC's (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1568301-electrical-gremlin-help-i-have-dtcs.html)

J.WebsterDesigns 01-08-2019 05:23 PM

Electrical Gremlin Help, I have DTC's

Hey everyone, I have been having some electrical issues with my truck. They have been around a while. But I just sold my pick up truck, so this will be my daily driver and I need to get these sorted. Any help is much appreciated.

Truck is a 2001 Excursion 7.3L

Problem #1 - Get in truck, Key on, Engine off, Everything works properly, all electrical items function as intended. Start the truck, immediately the windows and I believe a few other items do not work for approximately 1 minute. This problem is consistent, happens every time without fail.

Problem #2 - Ignition on, does not matter if the engine is running or not running. But I notice it most while the engine is running. If you bump the key in the ignition, or barely turn it, it will disable the windows and some other functions. The symptoms are similar to the temporary disable described in Problem #1. The windows and other functions will come back after an amount of time. Additionally, if you fidget with the ignition switch, you can sometimes get it to restore electrical function.

Problem #3 - I installed a double din kenwood. The unit worked great for quite a while. I then developed intermittent blowing of the #8 under dash 5 Amp fuse for the radio. This eventually developed into the fuse blowing immediately a new fuse was installed. Obviously there is a short in this system somewhere causing the blown fuse. Just wanted to give the whole story in case any of them seem to be related.

After running FORscan, I have the following DTC's related to the GEM module.

#1 - Code B1575 - Parking Lamp Switch Circuit Failure

#2 - Code B1359 - Ignition run / Accessory Circuit Failure

#3 - Code B1352 - Ignition Key in Circuit Fault

#4 - Code B1323 - Door Ajar Warning Lamp Circuit Failure

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

J.WebsterDesigns 01-08-2019 06:16 PM

To add to the equation, I just pulled the radio and dash bezel. I started checking the wiring and is looking good near the radio. I started messing with some wires near the right side of the column and the door chime randomly started going off. I guess I wasnt paying attention to the fact that the door chime hasn,t been working. I can make the door chime go on and off intermittently by moving the ignition switch vertically and releasing. So first order of business would be to go grab a new ignition cylinder.

PrescottIce 01-09-2019 09:28 AM

I think you're on the right track - I'd at least be taking it apart and cleaning, inspecting. There are also several connectors that could be the culprit.

On the "one minute" inop windows, is the key just "on" or in the "run" position (wait-to-start light on)? I'm thinking that could also be a low voltage situation on the accessory side with the glow plugs drawing down a weak battery. I'm always a fan of ensuring the batteries, wiring, and charging system is at 95+% before diving in to diagnostics, but the clues offered sure sound like a switch problem.

My guess is the radio is unrelated, but stranger things have happened... resolving your electrical faults in the other area(s) may just resolve the radio issue.

pirate4x4_camo 01-09-2019 01:10 PM

@projectSHO89 is the resident electron guru, maybe he can help.

the easy one should be your door chime, likely the pink wire and black clip on the iginiton cylinder, you can remove them to disable the chime but if not secured it could be working intermintinetly

J.WebsterDesigns 01-09-2019 08:42 PM

Prescott - The "one minute in-op windows is always present after a start scenario. so the key would be in the run position after releasing it from starting the truck. The batteries are new, the alternator is new and I dont seem to be having any low voltage issues in any other systems.

Pirate - Roger that. I will check out that pink wire you mention. I'd like to get the chime working consistently and then I will disable it. haha. Right now I am using it as a diagnostic tool.

J.WebsterDesigns 01-11-2019 08:05 PM

Problems solved. They were all interconnected in ways and causing issues with one another. But all had their own main issues.

Resolution to Problem #1 - The blowing of Fuse #8 seems to cause the accessory delay relay to take excessive time to allow accessory power. I did not realize this issue due to the fact that the accessory power never quite worked right since I bought the truck. Once the blowing of fuse #8 was remedied, it would send power to the accessory delay relay and allow it to energize quickly allowing for quick access to any and all accessory items like the windows and radio.

Resolution to Problem #2 - While I was replacing the ignition switch assembly, (which really could have been passed on knowing what the real issue is now) I noticed that the contact housing for the door chime was falling apart. After some research. It seems that this is a common failure item on these trucks and the super duties. Due to this failure, the switch was making intermittent contact and therefore intermittently completing the circuit. While this may not seem like anything other than the door chime not working. Upon digging further I found that the truck actually relies on this signal in certain ways that effect the GEM and the PCM to know that the key is in the ignition. Not just that it is in the run position or accessory position. After fixing this issue, I no longer have intermittent issues in regards to accessory delay related to accidentally bumping the ignition switch.

Resolution to Problem #3 - After doing a bunch of wire chasing and power probing with my Power Probe and Tone Generator. I found that there was an internal break in the reverse camera wiring allowing an internal short to ground. I would have never found this just by inspection due to the break being internal within the multi-strand wire insulation. Because of this, The fuse was constantly blowing and therefore effecting timing of the accessory delay relay.

All is well in the world again.

Markken 01-11-2019 08:22 PM

Nice to hear you found the issues and got them all fix.

I love happy endings.

unleashd 01-11-2019 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by J.WebsterDesigns (Post 18412897)
Resolution to Problem #2 - While I was replacing the ignition switch assembly, (which really could have been passed on knowing what the real issue is now) I noticed that the contact housing for the door chime was falling apart. After some research. It seems that this is a common failure item on these trucks and the super duties. Due to this failure, the switch was making intermittent contact and therefore intermittently completing the circuit. While this may not seem like anything other than the door chime not working. Upon digging further I found that the truck actually relies on this signal in certain ways that effect the GEM and the PCM to know that the key is in the ignition. Not just that it is in the run position or accessory position. After fixing this issue, I no longer have intermittent issues in regards to accessory delay related to accidentally bumping the ignition switch.

I have to work on my intermittent door chime issue some day when the sunshine feels warm.

J.WebsterDesigns 01-11-2019 09:40 PM

Unleashd - I would start at the ignition switch with how easy it is to access. 3 Philips screws to separate the column trim halves, remove the ignition switch assembly by depressing the detent and its right there in your face. very quick to verify if that is your issue or not.

PrescottIce 01-12-2019 09:54 AM

Nice troubleshooting! Congrats on good fixes.

unleashd 01-12-2019 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by J.WebsterDesigns (Post 18413107)
Unleashd - I would start at the ignition switch with how easy it is to access. 3 Philips screws to separate the column trim halves, remove the ignition switch assembly by depressing the detent and its right there in your face. very quick to verify if that is your issue or not.

Thanks for the tips. I have watched some videos and read this up as well. This is low on the priority and will get done sometime in the summer mostly