Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   2014 F150 EcoBoost Screw Woes (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1567832-2014-f150-ecoboost-screw-woes.html)

tararidesbikes 01-04-2019 02:03 PM

2014 F150 EcoBoost Screw Woes

I purchased a used 2014 3.5L EcoBoost Super Crew Cab Lariat in April of 2018, at the time it had 61,xxxx on it. At first we were very happy with it and got 21.7 MPG on our first trip, driving 55-60MPH on highways for 2.5 hours. After that trip I have never seen mileage above 17.1MPG and now the truck is the bane of our existence. Right now, we're trying to decide if we should keep it and dump more money into it or sell it and cut our losses. Here's the issues:

November - December 2018
  • In late November the truck started making awful banging noises from the transfer case, like it was going to fall out. The truck was out of warranty (70,xxx miles), so we took it to our mechanic. The fluid in the transfer case had metal shavings in it and basically the transfer case was shot. We had a brand new transfer case installed in mid-December 2018
  • The mileage dropped from 16-17MPG combined mileage to 11MPG combined
  • At the same time the transfer case was going bad, the left turbo was making noise. Me, being a first time truck owner thought it was normal, not at all. The left turbo had oil in it and was dirty, so a new turbo was put in. Afterwards the truck seems to have more power, but MPG still not great at 16-17MPG
  • The differential fluid was changed and it had an oil change
Late December 2018
  • After all the repairs we go on a road trip from MN to CO, we average 16.x MPG on highway, no exactly great
  • While trying to pass a slow car on the interstate in Denver the engine looses all power and the check engine light flashes, we get off the highway, make some phone calls and go to a garage. The truck has a misfire in cylinder 6, code P0306. The engine light is no longer on, it does not misfire again under load and the mechanic suggests tossing in a can of BG44K and waiting to see if it does it again. We drive it cautiously to get to our destination.
  • Going up a pass the NEW transfer case makes a banging noise in 4H, it does it again 500 miles later on a flat without 4x4 engaged
  • Mileage from CO to MN is 15.8 on the highway
January 2019
  • Mileage is now at 14.4 combined, temps in MN are in the 40's. The truck is scheduled to go in Monday to be looked at again.
Other
  • Stock 2014 3.5L Ecoboost, Super Crew Cab, Larait, no mechanical mods
  • Has topper on it
  • Have owned it for 11,000 miles, currently have $4,300 in repairs in the truck, which is more than I have ever spent on fixing a car .
So, my question is keep it or dump it? Right now. I'm not exactly stoked on it.

Tom 01-04-2019 06:47 PM

Fuel eonomy will vary tremendously depending upon driving conditions, weather, altitude, and a bunch of other factors. It's very tough to troubleshoot a problem based on economy numbers alone.

It almost sounds to me like your transfer case misdiagnosed, we won't hear of these failing very often. Was your old case ever torn down to identify the failure? The odds of killing to transfer cases the short time seem astronomical to me, I'm thinking something else is causing that banging noise.

What did you have before you got this truck? What kind of fuel economy did you get during similar driving in the winter?

tararidesbikes 01-04-2019 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 18399277)
Fuel eonomy will vary tremendously depending upon driving conditions, weather, altitude, and a bunch of other factors. It's very tough to troubleshoot a problem based on economy numbers alone.

It almost sounds to me like your transfer case misdiagnosed, we won't hear of these failing very often. Was your old case ever torn down to identify the failure? The odds of killing to transfer cases the short time seem astronomical to me, I'm thinking something else is causing that banging noise.

What did you have before you got this truck? What kind of fuel economy did you get during similar driving in the winter?

The transfer case was looked at by two mechanics who both agreed it was shot, the banging was bad. It has since gone away except those two instances in CO, and it has a warranty on it. Our local Ford dealer also keeps transfer cases in stock, which seems suspect.

Prior to the F150 I had a 2010 Audi Q5 with a 3.2L, it got between 22/25 winter and 24/27 summer. I have the same commute as when I had the Audi, and if anything I drive the F150 way more conservatively, the Audi was super fun to drive. So, I would expect a couple of MPG loss due to winter, but not this much.

Fordtrucktexan 01-04-2019 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by tararidesbikes (Post 18398881)
  • Going up a pass the NEW transfer case makes a banging noise in 4H, it does it again 500 miles later on a flat without 4x4 engaged

Going up a pass in 4x4? Were you driving it in 4x4 on pavement?

tararidesbikes 01-04-2019 08:57 PM

Yes, I was using 4H on snow packed, icy roads going up a mountain pass which are typical 4H conditions.

jdunk54nl 01-04-2019 09:54 PM

Did you have it in 4H or 4A? Just curious as 4A will make a noise when it engages the front wheels after it sense slipping on the rears.

tararidesbikes 01-04-2019 10:39 PM

It was in 4H, 4A is crap. By the time it engages it's too late.

steve(ill) 01-04-2019 11:19 PM

I have a 2013 Eco with 3.55 gears... Driving on the FLAT highway in 30 degree ambient, I get 20.5 MPG at 55 MPH , 19.0 MPG at 60 MPH, 17.5 MPG at 65 MPH and 16 MPG at 70 MPH... the turbos seem to pickup strong between 1500- 2000 RPM and make a big difference...... put 1000 pounds in the bed, and it drops more.

ford390gashog 01-04-2019 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl (Post 18399598)
Did you have it in 4H or 4A? Just curious as 4A will make a noise when it engages the front wheels after it sense slipping on the rears.

Front wheel ends are locked in 4A all the power transfer is done through the clutch in the transfercase.

ford390gashog 01-04-2019 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by tararidesbikes (Post 18399644)
It was in 4H, 4A is crap. By the time it engages it's too late.

In 4A there is always power front and rear and this can be monitored on the dash. There is no delay in power transfer and if there is there is a problem elsewhere. You truck is capable of 80/20 split power with the TOD transfercase.

ford390gashog 01-04-2019 11:23 PM

Misfires don't go away and at 60k you are past due for spark plugs and coil boots. Most of us don't get 45k before the gaps widen past spec.

tseekins 01-05-2019 05:42 AM

To the OP,

I greatly appreciate your input here sir and I am sorry for your issues. Sadly, based on the issues that you're having with a used Ford, you most likely now feel that all Ford trucks are crap. Simply not the case sir. As a matter opinion, I don't think that any newer truck on the road is crap, I think that people make them crap with poor treatment / maintenance.

At 61K miles, it's difficult at best to determine how the truck was treated, used and maintained without personally knowing the original owner. The truck was ready for plugs and boots when you bought it and the fact that it made it 70K miles is a testament in my opinion.

The failure rate on the components that you mention are rare as hens teeth. I hate to say it but, the original owner dumped this truck and you got stuck with his issues.

Personally, I'd cut my losses and walk. This small thread alone makes me feel that the original owner drove the hell out of it, neglected it's maintenance, dumped it and is doing again to another truck.

Good luck in what ever you choose sir.

jyarosz 01-05-2019 08:46 AM

My son has the identical truck with 80k miles. His mileage dropped off about a year ago.We changed plugs,didn,t seem to help.Recently I cleaned the three mass air flow sensors,cleaned the throttle body,and changed the air filter.I drove the truck afterwords and it definately ran better.Haven,t heard back from him yet about the mpg.

jdunk54nl 01-05-2019 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 18399674)
Front wheel ends are locked in 4A all the power transfer is done through the clutch in the transfercase.

Yup, and sometimes those clutches can cause a slight noise when the engage power depending on what you are doing and how they mesh together.
I have noticed mine makes a noise, much like clutches when you don't shift properly in a manual only not nearly as severe, when I am going slow or stopped and hit the gas and the back wheels slip causing the front to be engaged. Reading around the interwebs, this seems to be fairly normal for this system.

Dr. Phillips 01-06-2019 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by steve(ill) (Post 18399673)
I have a 2013 Eco with 3.55 gears... Driving on the FLAT highway in 30 degree ambient, I get 20.5 MPG at 55 MPH , 19.0 MPG at 60 MPH, 17.5 MPG at 65 MPH and 16 MPG at 70 MPH... the turbos seem to pickup strong between 1500- 2000 RPM and make a big difference...... put 1000 pounds in the bed, and it drops more.

Mine on 35's 355 gears ends up at 15 @ 70 mph from CO to OK.