Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Excursion V10 and V/X codes pics (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1566861-excursion-v10-and-v-x-codes-pics.html)

danno676 12-26-2018 07:58 PM

Excursion V10 and V/X codes pics

I have been doing lots of research on here and have decided to replace the front springs on my Excursion. It looks as though the front is just starting to sag, or the rear is sitting high, however you want to look at it. I don't want a harsh ride, as it is my wife's primary driver, just a little stiffer, sportier, more stable, etc etc. I was wanting to put the v codes on there, purchasing them from ATS. From what I have seen the ex codes sit a little high for my liking, and from what I have read maybe a little too stiff for the V10. We don't do any towing with it as I have a 7.3 super duty for that, so I intend to leave the rear springs alone and put a heavier-duty sway bar in.
I I would like to request pictures of the v codes in excursions that have the V10 engine. I have seen tons of pictures of them installed, but for some reason if people have listed in their signature what engine is in their truck it does not show up on the mobile site.

Thanks!!

danno676 12-26-2018 08:03 PM

Saggy britches
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...62d693c8be.jpg

andym 12-26-2018 08:08 PM

I’d take some measurements and compare. That doesn’t look like a factory ride height. They may already have been swapped.

danno676 12-26-2018 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by andym (Post 18382453)
I’d take some measurements and compare. That doesn’t look like a factory ride height. They may already have been swapped.

That is kind of what I was thinking, about the rear anyway, but the front to me looks like a typical low Excursion. That being said the front does sit higher then my 2002 f250, but that has 270,000 miles on it and the springs are arched backwards, x codes for that next. unfortunately I won't be home for another week and the measurements will have to wait till then.

seijirou 12-26-2018 10:07 PM

C\X on mine with drop shackles in the front as well.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/yp...=w1042-h781-no

WE3ZS 12-27-2018 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by danno676 (Post 18382483)
That is kind of what I was thinking, about the rear anyway, but the front to me looks like a typical low Excursion. That being said the front does sit higher then my 2002 f250, but that has 270,000 miles on it and the springs are arched backwards, x codes for that next. unfortunately I won't be home for another week and the measurements will have to wait till then.

The best place to start this quest is to get your exact measurements and go from there, this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...easurents.html has the stock measurements as well as those from a wide variety of modified setups. You want to measure from the hub center to the top of the wheelwell arch, that takes out any tires size variations.
And remember, the shocks play the biggest part in determining the actual ride feel, springs are just there to carry the weight (but of course way too much spring will stiffen it up).
V-10s came from :oval with C code front springs rated at 3680lbs (per pair), replacing those with a set of V codes (5200lbs) should net a 1.77" increase in ride height, W codes (5600) +2.77" and X codes (6000lbs) +2.90".
You do realize that a properly geared V-10 will out tow a stock 7.3, right? ;) }> But I'm sure that your 7.3, like most, is not stock, so that is a non-issue and you are towing with the right truck. :-X22

danno676 12-27-2018 06:24 AM

^^^^^^^™ Awesome Thread!!!!

In reading this form for the past few weeks I have noticed that you and Stuart have deposited a wealth of information! That and ATS Junior, I have been able to make some very good and informed decisions about this excursion, and my f250. I can't say that I have any complaints about the way the Excursion rides with the current c codes, it does appear to have a recently installed set of Bilsteins installed on it. I just did not want to install the stiffest spring possible, or put it to high or put it too high in the air for our intended use of it.

​​​​​I can't say that I fully agree with the V10 out towing a 7.3, but I have never towed with a stock 7.3, and the V10's that I have towed with were not properly geared. I think my argument at that point would come in about fuel economy towing between the two. At any rate, the Excursion we just bought is very nice, and my super duty is mostly a work truck and commuter vehicle so it gets the abuse.

I checked "desktop site" on my phone and users signatures magically showed up, now I can see wjat I am comparing.

Thanks for the reply!!!!

WE3ZS 12-27-2018 07:04 AM

In my opinion, this forum is the best automotive forum on the web (at least in my experience) loaded with very knowledgeable and helpful folks that are willing to provide all sorts of info and guidance with very, very little of the drama or cliqueiness found on so many of the other forums around. I'm glad to be a small part of it! :-drink
These days finding a completely stock 7.3 is pretty rare, and finding a properly geared V-10 is nearly as rare, what was Ford thinking when they put 3.73 gears behind the 6.8? But yeah, once the PSD gets even a minor tune or tweek it will outshine the V-10 no matter the gasser's gears, and the 7.3 nearly always does better in the fuel mileage department. The Ohio Chapter here at FTE used to have an annual Get Together where they did a tow comparison between members rigs with a 15K lbs dump trailer loaded with gravel up a long winding hill. Some folks were surprised when the V-10 with 4.30 gears made the climb quicker than the stock 7.3 truck, the 3.73 V-10 didn't do nearly as well, unfortunately that's what most of them came with. I have towed a 12K enclosed trailer (28' loaded with Technical Rescue gear) with a stock 7.3 (4.88 geared) F-550, both Fire Dept rigs and I know my (mildly modified and geared) V-10 does a better job with our nearly 12K TT on the hitch. It's no match for any nicely modded PSD for sure, but it does the job pretty well. :-X22

danno676 12-27-2018 07:58 AM

Yeah, I will agree that a stock 7.3 it's not a super exciting towing machine. My first 7.3 towing experience was pretty disappointing, towing about 12,000 pounds of race car and trailer up in the mountains of West Virginia, it was struggling at best to maintain any type of speed upgrade. A couple of Banks options and a turbonetics turbo later and the truck had no problem maintaining 65-plus in overdrive. The Excursion I have now unfortunately has 3.73 gearing, that is another reason why I don't want to go to high because don't want to increase the tire size beyond a 285 75. I'm sure in the future I will upgrade to 4.30 or 4.88, but that is on down the road, at which point I may add a set of 2 in hangers and increase the tire size too. I assume Ford was trying to gain some type of highway MPG rating with the 3.73 gears, that is the only thing that I can guess. I will say that my hand calculated mileage of 12.5 is not too bad, my 7.3 averages just shy of 17. When I average the cost per mile based on the price per gallon between the two trucks, the gasser ex is cheaper to drive than the diesel. That was quite a pleasant surprise.

This site surely has been awesome.

danno676 01-06-2019 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by WE3ZS (Post 18382909)
The best place to start this quest is to get your exact measurements and go from there, this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...easurents.html has the stock measurements as well as those from a wide variety of modified setups. You want to measure from the hub center to the top of the wheelwell arch, that takes out any tires size variations.
And remember, the shocks play the biggest part in determining the actual ride feel, springs are just there to carry the weight (but of course way too much spring will stiffen it up).
V-10s came from :oval with C code front springs rated at 3680lbs (per pair), replacing those with a set of V codes (5200lbs) should net a 1.77" increase in ride height, W codes (5600) +2.77" and X codes (6000lbs) +2.90".
You do realize that a properly geared V-10 will out tow a stock 7.3, right? ;) }> But I'm sure that your 7.3, like most, is not stock, so that is a non-issue and you are towing with the right truck. :-X22

My measurements are
F 23.75
R 24.00
I will post in the thread that you gave me the link to as well.

I believe I will be doing V's on the EX and X's on the F250 (7.3).
Thanks for you help again, yours looks great. What kind of fuel mileage do you get? I know it's a v10....we're getting ~12.5, hand calculated, all city/country driving.

WE3ZS 01-06-2019 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by danno676 (Post 18402556)
My measurements are
F 23.75
R 24.00
I will post in the thread that you gave me the link to as well.

I believe I will be doing V's on the EX and X's on the F250 (7.3).
Thanks for you help again, yours looks great. What kind of fuel mileage do you get? I know it's a v10....we're getting ~12.5, hand calculated, all city/country driving.

Thanks! :-wink
My EX doesn't see any daily driving these days, mostly all of its miles are logged with the 11,300 lb TT hanging off the hitch, there it gets 8/9 MPG on our mostly highway trips with a best yet of 9.5 over 420 miles. This past Summer we made a rare unloaded trip home near Philly from Columbus OH and it got 14.5 MPG with the cruise set at 65 MPH the entire way with the AC on about half the time. I always drive with an eye on the fuel mileage as I'm a hyper miler in real life where 63 MPG tanks are the norm in my '94 Geo Metro. :-jammin

danno676 01-11-2019 07:09 AM

94 Geo metro...wow!
Seems like my 12.5 avg is about on par. I do want to one day do some mods, but for now I just have too many projects open.
Thanks for your input.