Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Full Retrofit Headlights DIY (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1566438-full-retrofit-headlights-diy.html)

honda250xtitan 12-25-2018 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tricon (Post 18380063)
That's gonna come out awesome. For the pods, if you get hyper flash you can just add a resistor to the positive line and it'll look like a halogen bulb, they are cheap on Amazon. I used them on a couple of my KTMs when I switched over to LEDs.

i'm worried about the low beam being completely unused in the bottom socket wiring tho...or will the resistor compensate for zero load? the pod should pull enough to where high beams shouldn't be an issue.

i ran resistors on my titan for my led turn signals, worked great

EWeezY 12-25-2018 04:26 PM

Are the buckets deep enough that you didn't need to modify them,ie: sand or Dremel them out a bit..... and the projectors just set right in?

BillyE 12-25-2018 05:41 PM

Resistors not needed if you get in forscan you can turn the hyper flash off.

Tricon 12-25-2018 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by BillyE (Post 18380729)

That won't help in a zero load situation.

honda250xtitan 12-25-2018 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by EWeezY (Post 18380658)
Are the buckets deep enough that you didn't need to modify them,ie: sand or Dremel them out a bit..... and the projectors just set right in?

Yup should be. I'll be surprised if they aint.

Originally Posted by BillyE (Post 18380729)

I was wondering about that...

Originally Posted by Tricon (Post 18380961)
That won't help in a zero load situation.

If i do Quads none of this will be an issue, but then i'm having to spend money lol. the prize was ONE set of retrofits.

Kegme13 12-25-2018 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by honda250xtitan (Post 18380652)
i'm worried about the low beam being completely unused in the bottom socket wiring tho...or will the resistor compensate for zero load? the pod should pull enough to where high beams shouldn't be an issue.

i ran resistors on my titan for my led turn signals, worked great

If the bulb is completely not used, you will have esentially created an open in the circuit and installing the resistor on the positive lead isn't going to do much of anything at that point. You could instal the resistor in place of the bulb, just make sure that the truck will read the same resistace through that resistor as it would with an operable bulb.

Kegme13 12-25-2018 10:07 PM

Heres an idea, The link below is for prewired male H13 plugs, you could solder your resister onto the leads, heat thrink the whole thing up and boom, nice and clean with no hyper flash.

honda250xtitan 12-26-2018 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kegme13 (Post 18381158)
Heres an idea, The link below is for prewired male H13 plugs, you could solder your resister onto the leads, heat thrink the whole thing up and boom, nice and clean with no hyper flash.

https://www.amazon.com/PartsSquare-P.../dp/B00Q3UZURE

So do i tag one of those wires for the LED cube to run as the high beam and the two remaining go to the resistor? Or then I need a ground wire for the LED? As you can see, my wiring knowledge is maxed out on this project.

Kegme13 12-26-2018 02:53 PM

Deleted.....

Kegme13 12-26-2018 03:49 PM

You projectors have their own harness that is going to plug into the top headlight plug. Im thinking this might be how the bottom plugs will be wired. I've never done anything like this before but I really dont see why this wouldnt work. let me know if you have any questions.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...ae59a58aae.png

honda250xtitan 12-26-2018 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kegme13 (Post 18382122)
You projectors have their own harness that is going to plug into the top headlight plug. Im thinking this might be how the bottom plugs will be wired. I've never done anything like this before but I really dont see why this wouldnt work. let me know if you have any questions.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...ae59a58aae.png

Awesome thats what i was thinking. Yea top should be all good, running a LED cube as ONLY high is the only question and i'm thinking what you just posted should do the trick. One way to find out lol. Or go full baller, get the LED lights with a backlight and hook that function to the low beam wire,,,,

Kegme13 12-27-2018 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by honda250xtitan (Post 18382433)
Awesome thats what i was thinking. Yea top should be all good, running a LED cube as ONLY high is the only question and i'm thinking what you just posted should do the trick. One way to find out lol. Or go full baller, get the LED lights with a backlight and hook that function to the low beam wire,,,,

Full baller is always an option lol, all has to do with what your wallet will allow. My only concern would be the heat output from those resistors. I know space is limited but i'd try to put them in a well ventalated area. Im excited to see how this all turns out. Please throw all your pics up on this thread, in the case that I get a wild hair.....I'll be reffering back to this thread as I think your the first "non-professional" to try this out lol. What projectors are you thinking about throwing in there?

honda250xtitan 12-27-2018 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kegme13 (Post 18382832)
Full baller is always an option lol, all has to do with what your wallet will allow. My only concern would be the heat output from those resistors. I know space is limited but i'd try to put them in a well ventalated area. Im excited to see how this all turns out. Please throw all your pics up on this thread, in the case that I get a wild hair.....I'll be reffering back to this thread as I think your the first "non-professional" to try this out lol. What projectors are you thinking about throwing in there?

Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 or Profile Bi-Lens D2S with the "Square Lens" option. however the ds2 4.0 isn't on the site anymore so i'm not sure if they'll offer me that one. i gotta believe they have some in stock still since they just went to the 5.0.

Yea the resistor will need to be on the fender/under the hood mounted to a piece of metal. yea i'll keep everything here as theres no need to start another thread....I'm a PRO DAMN IT lol....still waiting on the retrofit source to get back to me regarding what exactly I won lol. Wild hairs get me into a lot of trouble. First it was a home built "overland" trailer, now it's headlights round 2.

EWeezY 01-03-2019 09:13 PM

Any update to this build?

honda250xtitan 01-04-2019 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by EWeezY (Post 18397657)
Any update to this build?

naw. Got both headlights opened up and the permaseal cleaned outta the channels. TheRetrofitSource.com emailed me and said late this week or probably early next week we will get what I won sorted out. At that point I hope they confirm the wiring for the LED cube in the bottom spot or else i'll see what they recommend. I wanna drop the stuff off for paint but it'll be wise to wait and get everything test fitted before paint lol. So probably nothing going on on for another 2 weeks depending on shipping.