Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   1963 Temp gauge (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1566055-1963-temp-gauge.html)

okie trucker 12-18-2018 02:16 PM

1963 Temp gauge

Ok. My new temp gauge is pegged to Hot. I remove wire from sending unit, the needle moves toward Cold But only half way. Running ground to sending unit wire has same result. Not sure if wire to sending unit is supposed to have power to it, but it does not. Anyone have instructions for dummy

Crop Duster 12-19-2018 04:13 AM

Everything you are asking is covered quite well in the shop manual. But I will say if you grounded that gauge and left it that way for any length of time you probably killed it. Any test of those gauges has to be done with the ICVR that you are going to use with the gauge.

okie trucker 12-19-2018 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Crop Duster (Post 18369259)
Everything you are asking is covered quite well in the shop manual. But I will say if you grounded that gauge and left it that way for any length of time you probably killed it. Any test of those gauges has to be done with the ICVR that you are going to use with the gauge.

Doh ! So that's what the manual is for. Thanks man

TA455HO 12-19-2018 08:44 AM

I'm not sure if they made a full 1962 or 1963 manual. They might have just been supplements to the 1961 manual. But, the 1961 manual says to test the Temperature Gauge itself in the same way as the Fuel Gauge and that method is to use two 1.5 volt flashlight batteries in series giving a total of 3 volts. Meanwhile the ignition switch is left in the OFF position. Like CD says, if you applied full voltage to the gauge for more than a second or two you have probably already cooked it. I hope not, but if it you disconnect it and it does not drop back down to it's original setting when you bought it then it is likely bad now.

I also always recommend the shop manuals, too. Certain precautions and procedures are covered in there that can keep a person from making fatal mistakes.

Chad

okie trucker 12-19-2018 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by TA455HO (Post 18369538)
I'm not sure if they made a full 1962 or 1963 manual. They might have just been supplements to the 1961 manual. But, the 1961 manual says to test the Temperature Gauge itself in the same way as the Fuel Gauge and that method is to use two 1.5 volt flashlight batteries in series giving a total of 3 volts. Meanwhile the ignition switch is left in the OFF position. Like CD says, if you applied full voltage to the gauge for more than a second or two you have probably already cooked it. I hope not, but if it you disconnect it and it does not drop back down to it's original setting when you bought it then it is likely bad now.

I also always recommend the shop manuals, too. Certain precautions and procedures are covered in there that can keep a person from making fatal mistakes.

Chad

It's pegged to hot with ignition on or off. If I disconnect from sender the needle only drops back to the middle. I have a manual, I just forget to use it. Thanks for your help.