Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Broke down - truck won’t start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1565739-broke-down-truck-won-t-start.html)

zhicks16 12-15-2018 06:05 PM

Broke down - truck won’t start

hey guys! Been a while, in a bind and need a direction to go in, I’m in a parking lot so I am safe.

1992 Ford Disel 7.3 - Automatic

truck won’t start:
I turn the key, and hear a single clunk coming from passenger side.

my truck sometimes will have to be placed in 1-2 and then back into park to start but I don’t think the neutral safety switch is bad yet? The starter is 2 years old, so i am about to get the wife to take me to get a new one. but before I go replacing a starter in the rain, am I missing anything? I tried jumping the truck but she seems to have all the power she could ever need, nothing looks dim, it just does a single clunk again.

90Ford73 12-15-2018 06:17 PM

Does it crank? If so you might have lost power to the FSS on the top of the IP. Turn the key on and disconnect/reconnect the front connector on the drivers side. You should hear an audible click. If not, connect battery positive (12Volts) to it and try to start it. This is just a random pic from the web. If no crank at all then maybe the neutral safety switch finally went out, as you say you need to move the shift lever to start it sometimes. You should still be able to bypass the safety switch and jump it from the relay on the passenger fender (make sure it is in NEUTRAL or PARK before trying), but IDK which terminals to cross. Somebody should be along soon that knows more than me about this and the safety switch itself; I don't have an auto lol
https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...t-ippinout.jpg

zhicks16 12-15-2018 06:28 PM

Thank you! I think before I try and bypass the switch I will determine if it is simply a bad starter. That clunk makes me think it isn’t getting enough power (although I tried to charge/jump the truck, connections are tight, no corrosion) or that the starter is bad

FORDF250HDXLT 12-15-2018 06:41 PM

Sometimes when cold,a solenoid will stick.Did you try tapping gently on the fender mounted solenoid? If so,you could also try tapping the one on the starter.

zhicks16 12-15-2018 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT (Post 18363155)
Sometimes when cold,a solenoid will stick.Did you try tapping gently on the fender mounted solenoid? If so,you could also try tapping the one on the starter.

I like the way you think, I took a pipe wrench to the main body of my starter, but I never thought about lightly taping the solenoid on the fender or on the starter, let me drive back down there and give that a try (My wife has since rescued me, and I have a new starter ready to go if need be)

zhicks16 12-15-2018 07:19 PM

Tried to tap it, nothing but a clunk still!

I will wait a bit until the parking lot is empty and swap the starter and see if that works. The only thing I can think of to try besides that is jumping the truck again, It seems like it has plenty of power and hasn't given me battery issues ever, but I am unsure how to tell without a voltmeter if the truck has enough power. The lights are not dim. Any other ideas before I swap this thing?

PlumCrazy7 12-15-2018 07:29 PM

The clunk you hear when turning the key to start is most likely the solenoid activating. I'd say starter swap is a good move.

Leroy Unlisted 12-15-2018 07:37 PM

If it's turning over fast it should start, make sure fuel is at the filter shrader valve, and not air. If it's got air it won't start.

If it turns over slow with a good batt and a jump, well then that's your starter.

Make sure the spade connector at the front of the ip has 12 v.. When key on or your shut off solenoid won't open to run, I cringe but if you have no meter, briefly tap it to the pump body /metal to ensure there is a spark.

If it's got wet fuel and cranks moderate speed, and the pump gets 12v it will run, not sure about that saftey switch thingajigger thou I have 4sp.

Glad you were rescued, keep us posted - good luck..

Vegetable0 12-15-2018 08:14 PM

The clunk I would think is the bendix engaging. Which means the starter motor it's self is what is not doing anything. Power making it to the starter and no ability to jump it to start it, means the starter is bad. Everything else has to check out for the starter to clunk even. Replace starter in the parking lot, and drive away :D

zhicks16 12-15-2018 10:45 PM

I replaced the starter, still a clunk. So I am going back to step one, checked all my connections, trying to charge it for 15 minutes on jumper cables to ensure it’s not a power issue, and I looked at the nuetral selector switch and it looks fine? The truck is engaging in park and nuetral and rolls. I personally just think she is being moody because it’s cold and raining. But I drive this truck 500+ miles a week no issues so this is confusing. Thanks for everyone who has helped so far!

Vegetable0 12-15-2018 10:54 PM

Its not the Neutral Safety. Clunk means everything up to the starter is working. Maybe your batteries are dead?

zhicks16 12-15-2018 11:26 PM

I pray it is something that simple! Now... I know this is a boot question. But if I get a voltmeter, how do I tell which battery is bad? You can haze me later, but I don't mind doing a midnight run to Walmart. One battery is 2 years old, the other could be anywhere from 3-15 years old? Lol...

Also.. what batteries do I need?

Vegetable0 12-15-2018 11:28 PM

You can not tell with a volt meter. You need a batttery tester, as it can be at 12.8v and have 300cca. Which is not enough. Pull batteries, or try to jump it and see.

zhicks16 12-15-2018 11:30 PM

I hooked my wife's Subaru up to the passenger side battery for 20 minutes and it didn't help. The lights aren't dim though, like you said that one battery could be really old.

Vegetable0 12-15-2018 11:31 PM

Yeah, one bad battery will drain the other. And a subaru might have 400 cca. Your truck should have 1600cca to draw from.