Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   Sync 3 black screen - Should I be scared? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1565508-sync-3-black-screen-should-i-be-scared.html)

SJMaye 12-13-2018 09:08 AM

Sync 3 black screen - Should I be scared?

Yesterday my truck did something it had never done before. I had turned off the truck and then restarted it. The Sync 3 screen had the Ford logo on it for what appeared to be an unusually long time, then the screen went black. The screen remained black and began playing the music I had been playing from my USB drive. The steering wheel controls would not do anything to change songs or raise and lower the volume. I could lower the volume via the radio knob. but the on/off button did nothing. The HVAC controls seemed to work, but nothing was on the screen. I tried turning the truck off and restarting, but still nothing. Luckily later that day when I restarted the truck everything was working again.

I am running Sync 3 v.3 Build 18025

I am afraid this issue will happen again and the screen stop working completely. My truck has very little time left on the factory warranty. Is this a fluke or should I talk with the dealer?

Wiggums 12-13-2018 09:10 AM

You still have warranty? Go STRAIGHT to the dealership!

ford390gashog 12-13-2018 09:14 AM

That's a common thing with the bootloader in the APIM, it's the equivalent of doing a forced shutdown of a PC then a Boot. The sync 3 uses the Ford logo as a way to hide the fact its starting up. It doesn't have the fastest processor. Unless it was a fault there will be no stored fault in the APIM.

GABAR 12-13-2018 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by SJMaye (Post 18358856)
Yesterday my truck did something it had never done before. I had turned off the truck and then restarted it. The Sync 3 screen had the Ford logo on it for what appeared to be an unusually long time, then the screen went black. The screen remained black and began playing the music I had been playing from my USB drive. The steering wheel controls would not do anything to change songs or raise and lower the volume. I could lower the volume via the radio knob. but the on/off button did nothing. The HVAC controls seemed to work, but nothing was on the screen. I tried turning the truck off and restarting, but still nothing. Luckily later that day when I restarted the truck everything was working again.

I am running Sync 3 v.3 Build 18025

I am afraid this issue will happen again and the screen stop working completely. My truck has very little time left on the factory warranty. Is this a fluke or should I talk with the dealer?

Your APIM is starting to fail and it`s a common problem that most dealers should know about.
The only fix is to get it replaced.

Are you still under the factory 3/36K warranty?

I hope so because if you have to come out of pocket, you`re going to be at the 1K mark for the dealer to replace and program a new one.

In case you`re wondering, these APIM`s are vehicle specific and the dealer has to program each one to each vehicle if a replacement is needed.

2ndStroke 12-13-2018 09:23 AM

I’d take it to the dealer for sure, my 2017 escape titanium screen went black and the dealer had to replace a couple things.

SJMaye 12-13-2018 09:37 AM

Holy Cow. I will go today. Thanks for the insight.

SJMaye 12-13-2018 12:50 PM

The guy at the Ford dealer was well aware of the issue. He wrote it up and said I would have to bring it back with the black screen before he could do anything. He said as long as it was written up before the end of the warranty it should be covered.

This thing is making me rethink buying the extended warranty. Does anyone have any thoughts the Ford extended warranty?

smokewagun 12-13-2018 01:10 PM

Oh, GREAT! Now I have to get rid of my truck before the warranty runs out? The wife's not gonna be happy.

Do they typically go before a certain amount of time? $1,000 would have me installing an aftermarket head and telling Ford and Sync to scratch. Is the screen required for any operations?

ford390gashog 12-13-2018 01:34 PM

Yes a Ford premium ESP is a great investment. Look at Lombard Ford they do great prices and no interest installment plan. I paid 1860.00 for 7/125k. In regards to the sync 3, the APIM modules are a lot more reliable than they used to be. The black screen upon shutdown and reboot is a lag in the bootloader. You should be able to confirm this by duplicating it. Even if it does die I would not pay a dealer 1k to replace it. It's a 20 min job and the used APIM can be had for 200.00 or upgrade to a Nav APIM for 300. All you need to do is copy the As built data from old to new and you are back in action.

miner999r 12-13-2018 02:31 PM

My 2016 did that twice. My resolution was to shut off the truck for about 10 minutes and the screen came back.

But to be safe I would want the dealer to have a record of the event.

I had cell phones that would go brain dead. Resolution was take out the battery and re-install.

Got to love the computers.

SJMaye 12-13-2018 02:59 PM

Thanks, ford390gashog. I will check Lombard Ford out. That price is quite a bit lower than the $2,400 he quoted at my dealer. He mentioned Premium Care. Is that what you are referring to? Does this warranty cover the truck as if it was still onder full factory warranty or are there deductibles and items not covered?

SJMaye 12-13-2018 03:06 PM

In a way I have to say this issue hits me like it does smokewagun. I had a 2002 F-150 with zero issues until about 125,000. Since buying this 2016 I had a stuck sunroof which dealer says, yeah, that's a problem we know about. PVD wheels peeling which dealer says, yeah, that's problem we know about and now the APIM which the dealer says, yeah, that's a problem we know about.

This is a beautiful Lariat with 25,000 miles. This scares the bejesus out of me as I think to the future.

smokewagun 12-13-2018 04:39 PM

Yeah, pretty foolish that after the 12,000 mile warranty or even the 60,000, if that's applicable, we are possible owners of large invoices to fix crap manufacturers know could be ticking away. It's NOT a wear and tear item. There are no moving parts. It's a dumb computer screen. I drop my cell phone 10x a week on the job without issue, and this screen barely gets josseled around from contraction joints in the highway... and it goes bad? (Rant over)
Seems plain foolish to me. One way or another, we pay. Replace it? $$$$. Install aftermarket? $$$$. Leave it dead in the dash? $$$$$ when no dealer takes the truck on trade because the screen won't work. (Oh boy. I'm sure it's NOT just Ford, but I did just open the door for F350 1990).

ford390gashog 12-13-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by SJMaye (Post 18359532)
Thanks, ford390gashog. I will check Lombard Ford out. That price is quite a bit lower than the $2,400 he quoted at my dealer. He mentioned Premium Care. Is that what you are referring to? Does this warranty cover the truck as if it was still onder full factory warranty or are there deductibles and items not covered?

You need the premium care warranty to cover these electronics. https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com see the premium ESP coverage. I have found it to pay for itself on the last seven trucks.

ford390gashog 12-13-2018 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by smokewagun (Post 18359760)
Yeah, pretty foolish that after the 12,000 mile warranty or even the 60,000, if that's applicable, we are possible owners of large invoices to fix crap manufacturers know could be ticking away. It's NOT a wear and tear item. There are no moving parts. It's a dumb computer screen. I drop my cell phone 10x a week on the job without issue, and this screen barely gets josseled around from contraction joints in the highway... and it goes bad? (Rant over)
Seems plain foolish to me. One way or another, we pay. Replace it? $$$$. Install aftermarket? $$$$. Leave it dead in the dash? $$$$$ when no dealer takes the truck on trade because the screen won't work. (Oh boy. I'm sure it's NOT just Ford, but I did just open the door for F350 1990).

It's not the screen that goes bad, the screen is fine. The APIM is on the back of the screen and is a separate component. Just like the ACM is mounted and hidden below it in the dash. There is three major components in the radio systems now and this is due to can bus protocols. I can safely say the majority of APIM units I have had to replace are not bad but corrupt because the program isn't perfect. The hardware is fine and just needs the As built data wiped and reloaded.