Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Looking to purchase a 2003 F350 V10 Lariat (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1565438-looking-to-purchase-a-2003-f350-v10-lariat.html)

IcebearLars 12-12-2018 04:40 PM

Looking to purchase a 2003 F350 V10 Lariat

Hi all,
reading since a longer time in this amazing forum and now I am just a few steps away to pull the trigger for my first Ford Truck.
Today I inspected a 2003 F350 V10 SRW Lariat with long bed, 3" lift and 35" BFGoodrich's.
Two tone color in green/beige.
Truck has 200k miles and has absolutely no rust since it ran the bigger part of its live in a dry state and was not driven in winter conditions - checked that with a creeper underneath the truck.
Have to admit that this truck looks gorgeous and clean underneath - have not seen one car or truck ever since which looked that clean an rust free underneath after 15 years on the street.
Engine had a blown out spark plug which was repaired with a repair kit (?) (information by the seller) and runs smooth cold and warm and has no broken header studs (so far).
Some stuff is not working on the truck such as left outside mirror, overhead console display, adjustable pedals and the rear window is not opening (window latch is broken off).
The interior in a worn shape - both front seats have tears and the seat belts are not anymore rolling up - the privacy glass on the rear passenger window has tears as well.
Headlights are blind and the tail lights have holes in them.
Oil was changed 2 years ago and was driven in the last 7 years by this owner 45k miles.
Trans is a 4 gear and shifted w/o any issues today during the test drive.

Seller is asking 12,5k for it but I am more than uncertain id that is a reasonable price and need your advice since I didn't found much in the WWW to compare to.

Looking forward to hear your opinions about this F350 and thanks in advance

IcebearLars 12-12-2018 07:04 PM

Forgot to mention that it is a crew cab F350 - hope that helps better to give you more chance to tell me if the asked price is to high for a 200k F350

wizkid00104 12-12-2018 07:56 PM

I think it is high because I paid $12.5k for 2002 F250 CCLB Lariat 4x4 5.4L in 2013 with 97k. It was also very clean underneath. Not perfect, but immaculate for Pennsylvania. It did have a broken head stud. No spark plug issues to report. Stock wheels and tires. My interior was in nice shape and the only thing that didn't work was the OD button on the shifter.

Based upon my experience, and mine was bought on a trade in at a Ford dealer, this guy is asking way too much. I would pay that if everything was fixed. Start adding up the cost to get everything working and start subtracting from the selling. Rust free is tempting, but only to a certain extent. And 2 years on an oil change concerns me...

ashleyroachclip 12-12-2018 08:57 PM

I bought my 99 super cab short box with a manual trans , 5 years ago for 6k .
it is 4x4 , with 35 x 22.50x 16 and a lift .
had nothing broken , body and paint were very nice for a truck with 135k miles .
today it had 245k miles , and is still in the same condition and worth the same 6k resale .
I would look for another truck , for that kind of money .

IcebearLars 12-12-2018 09:34 PM

Thought it is too much as well but was not sure - so thanks for your info on that.
What would be a price I should head for - I like the truck and if I get it for the right price it is worth to fix all the stuff listed above - can do that on my own - would be 8-9k more reasonable?

wizkid00104 12-12-2018 09:45 PM

8-9k sounds better. I really would take the time to price out the parts so you have a fair idea. I would also price out replacing all fluids in the estimate.

One other thing to look at the axle code. My truck has 3.73 gears and an open rear diff. My opinion is a limited slip is a minimum for any use in winter or off road. These trucks are too heavy for an open diff to be useful. Gas trucks fair a lot better with 4.10s or the V10 could have 4.30s which are great for towing. This also weighs in for larger tires.

Finally, check every surface for rust. Underside looks good, But check door bottoms and cab corners too. And if the truck has fender flares, they are probably masking rust.

IcebearLars 12-12-2018 10:16 PM

Truck has
  • Limited slip rear axle.
Further it has the options
  • Reverse sensing system
  • Electric shift on the fly 4-wheel drive system with auto locking hubs
  • Heated seats
  • Camper package

wizkid00104 12-12-2018 10:22 PM

Check the front hubs. Mine also has ESOF but when j got it the auto hubs were replaced with manual which I don’t mind. Make sure the knobs turn. They can get really tight and need pulled, disassembled, cleaned and lubricated or just replaced.

Also a fair bet at this mileage the limited slip friction discs are worn out. They can be replaced with a fluid change.

Sam I Am 12-13-2018 10:50 AM

$5000 US sounds generous for the truck as described.

CousinJordo 12-13-2018 11:16 AM

Seems really high to me as well, especially with 200k on the truck.

Some repeats here but check the following very well:
  1. Rust - Cab supports, frame internals, bed supports, above fuel tank, wheel wells, engine bay
  2. Steering link bushings - these rot over time
  3. Body mounts - notorious for rotting and crumbling
  4. ESOF may appear to work when you turn the switch and hear the transfer case. Make sure it actually locks into 4x4 and the vents dont switch to defrost as soon as you engage 4x4
  5. Make sure those seat heaters actually work. The light may come on but theres a good chance they wont ever warm up due to a burned through element.
Either way, you need the seller to be in the $7k-9k range to even have a conversation about this truck.

CousinJordo 12-13-2018 11:19 AM

For reference, I got my one owner 2005 King Ranch with half the miles and the newer, more powerful 3V V10, 5R110w transmission and 4.10 gears for $12k.

SuperDutyScaler 12-13-2018 01:46 PM

12.5k is outrageous price for the truck described. Blue book value is around 6-7k tops and trade in youd get less

SoCalAngler 12-16-2018 09:04 AM

As reference....My 2003 F-350 XLT, 2WD, Crew Cab, 6.9' Bed, 4R100, 3.73 LS, with 64K miles, (2 owners), NO RUST, in XLNT condition cost me $12K last year.
IMO....I think $12.5K is pricey considering the mileage and the work it needs.

IcebearLars 12-16-2018 09:45 AM

Hi folks,

called the seller and offered 8K for the truck explaining him that I go 1k ofer the 7k Kelly Blue Book honoring the flawless underbody of the truck.
Additional I told him all the issues which have to be fixed and the pure material costs of around 4k w/o labor to have an reliable daily driver.
Some guys out there know everything better - his response was if I want to have a museum condition truck his one is the wrong one.
Even the oil changes every 2 years are normal for him since he is using synthetic oil.
That said I ended the call wishing him good luck with the sale and I am on the search again.

Thanks for all your help!

Chuckfx4350 12-16-2018 10:31 AM

Sounds like it will be quite a project and if it were me based on your description I would be in the neighborhood of $5000 to $7000 range. With everything you know that needs to be fixed I would be prepared for a few other issues to pop up after taking ownership. Just my $0.02!