Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Rent your truck? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1565240-rent-your-truck.html)

ALBUQ F-1 12-10-2018 05:37 PM

Rent your truck?

I got an email from Hagerty today, whom I insure with, about some new features they have added. One of them is a discount on "classic car rentals" thru DriveShare. Never heard of it, so I checked it out. https://www.driveshare.com/

Didn't find any of our types of trucks in a brief search, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are available somewhere. Definitely some interesting cars to be rented, many for around $200 - $300/day. This one is the closest Ford to me: https://www.driveshare.com/car/407/s...i=0&v=list&o=0
Only $185/day, that would be a fun day! Buena Vista is is gorgeous country, lots of high mountain passes. There's a McLaren closer for $1200/day, I don't think I'm worthy tho...

My question: Would you even consider renting your truck out like that, assuming it would bring in about $200/day?
Not me...

seaves46 12-10-2018 07:23 PM

No way would I rent mine out .
Ever heard the expression "drive it like you stole it ", well the same goes for most rental cars .

3twinridges 12-10-2018 07:54 PM

I have rented my truck out a couple of times for photos. Nothing like a couple of kids crawling all over it, sitting on the fenders, etc. No way I would rent out a fully restored truck for a shoot.

JB

hulleywoodworking 12-10-2018 08:00 PM

Nope.

Not gonna happen.

John

abe 12-10-2018 08:14 PM

I would not out my truck for someone to drive. I might rent it for a photo shoot, but I would have to be there.

On the way home from taking our Christmas card pic my wife said I should rent out this truck for other people to take Christmas pictures with. But then she said, no, I don't want others to have cards like ours...... Good point. So I'd rent out my 55 F350 for pictures butnot my 54.

52 Merc 12-10-2018 08:24 PM

I have a rule about never loaning my vehicles to people, friends or family. Even my wife doesn't drive my daily. No way, for any amount of money, could I rent out any of my cars/trucks, especially ones that I've invested a million dollars of sweat, blood and tears.

bobbytnm 12-10-2018 09:26 PM

Nope, I don't think I'd rent mine out. Besides, my truck is unfinished and has a few quirks and can be a bit twitchy in certain circumstances. If I wanted to see it in a ditch, I'd put it there myself.....LOL

Bobby

Mixer man 12-10-2018 09:40 PM

Nope. I'd be afraid they might use it for it's intended purpose.

ALBUQ F-1 12-10-2018 10:04 PM

What struck me about the cars for rent is that they are renting them darn cheaply. $185/day for that '65 Mustang (which has been modified a fair amount) just isn't enough money to make it worth the hassle to me. Even if he rented it for a solid week, that's only $1300. He must have $30k at least in the car. There's a '47 Woodie Wagon (not completely stock) that has to be a $50k car renting for $300/day in California.

On the other hand, someone gave one of my sons a ticket to drive a McLaren MP4-12C around a course in Phoenix. I don't like to let him drive my cars! But he didn't break it.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...4ba986a73.jpeg

cruisetopdown 12-11-2018 06:56 AM

I'm with Wayne on this, too much sweat equity to turn it over to someone who has no clue what it took to get one of these trucks in the condition it's in. I think that a lot of us see these trucks for their stories and history, as much as for their steel glass and rubber.....
w

hooler1 12-11-2018 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 3twinridges (Post 18353709)
I have rented my truck out a couple of times for photos. Nothing like a couple of kids crawling all over it, sitting on the fenders, etc. No way I would rent out a fully restored truck for a shoot.

JB

If you don't mind me asking...how much do you ask for when renting your truck out for photo shoots? Every now and then I'll get a call from a professional photographer and they will try to get my truck out to a shoot for free. I'll politely ask $50 for the first hour and $25 for each hour after, for the time I leave and return back to the garage. I then automatically get attitude or they simply hang up. Guess I figure, (just like them) my time is worth something, it takes gas to get there, and even just having it on the road there is a risk for an accident and damage.

Tedster9 12-11-2018 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by hooler1 (Post 18354397)
Every now and then I'll get a call from a professional photographer and they will try to get my truck out to a shoot for free. I'll politely ask $50 for the first hour and $25 for each hour after, for the time I leave and return back to the garage. I then automatically get attitude or they simply hang up.

That's pretty cheap too, and they get all pissy? What a bunch of wankers. Tell them it's $300 for the first hour, maybe they'll bite.

abe 12-11-2018 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by hooler1 (Post 18354397)
If you don't mind me asking...how much do you ask for when renting your truck out for photo shoots? Every now and then I'll get a call from a professional photographer and they will try to get my truck out to a shoot for free. I'll politely ask $50 for the first hour and $25 for each hour after, for the time I leave and return back to the garage. I then automatically get attitude or they simply hang up. Guess I figure, (just like them) my time is worth something, it takes gas to get there, and even just having it on the road there is a risk for an accident and damage.

Are they selling pictures to make money? Are they professional photographers? Then by all means they should pay for a prop!

Two years ago I let two girls from my church, who I've known since 1997, and one was dating my son, use my 55 F350 for a fall photo shoot for free. She loaned me her car to run errands and to drive home until they were done.

And this fall I loaned my truck to the local SPCA for free. Since it was used as a fundraiser for them I didn't want any money. The president drove me home and afterwards she gave me a picture of my truck in a cardboard frame.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...bb70a9533c.jpg

EffieTrucker 12-11-2018 07:52 AM

A few of the guys on the Steelsoldiers forum (military trucks) have rented their trucks out to be used in independent movies. Typically they're not to happy with the condition of the trucks when they get them back. Especially the guys that have painstakingly restored their trucks to as good as or better than original.

That said, our M35A2 (Deuce and a half) has been in a couple of parades. With me driving.

I would rent my '53, but I doubt anyone would be willing to pay the price it would take.

rusty48 12-11-2018 08:06 AM

If I recall, the Clint Eastwood movie Pink Cadillac quote. "Dont mess with another mans vehicles" I dont think anyone could every share the pain you feel when we make a mistake or accidentally scratch our own vehicles. At least we know who to blame. Renting, aint gona happen, photo shoot. Like Abe said , if im there.