Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   How many miles should be on an ordered truck? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1564938-how-many-miles-should-be-on-an-ordered-truck.html)

STX Screamer 12-08-2018 08:27 AM

How many miles should be on an ordered truck?

Just curious what others have found is the normal amount of miles to be on an ordered truck when picking it up from the dealer?

I know this probably seems petty to some. This is my first ordered vehicle and first F250. I was out of town for a week when it arrived. I won't be able to pick it up for a few more days until my wife and I can both go.

I also feel like there was some bait and switch tactics used with the price. When we ordered the truck, they claimed they were able to extend my PCO, but now say sorry, it has expired. I have not decided how I want to react. I can easily wait another 3 months to order another from another dealer.

Section179 12-08-2018 08:31 AM

I ordered a truck with a buddy. Both our trucks had less than ten miles. More than 25 I’d be suspicious. More than 50 I wouldn’t take it.

There’s driving on and off of trucks and around the train yards which can be quite big. Then the dealers are supposed to do a shake down. I asked my dealer not do drive the truck or wash it or anything. They told me they could leave the rail dust on and not wash t
it, but they absolutely had to drive it as part of the dealer QA required by ford.

The PCO should be usable on a custom order unless your dealer pooched it. I ordered in June on a PCO that expired in July for a truck that arrived in mid September. No issues.

Did you pay a deposit, and did the dealer put it in as for you, or did they just order as if it would be their inventory?

jimzpsd 12-08-2018 08:33 AM

Mine had 6 miles on it when I went in to get it.

HST 12-08-2018 08:36 AM

Mine was just made 11/18 but I purchased it off the lot with 6 miles.

STX Screamer 12-08-2018 08:51 AM

It had 29 miles on it.
It was ordered for me. It has the green window sticker and I was able to track it on the website as it was being built and delivered.
​​​​​​I did put a small deposit down. We signed an order agreement.
I forgot to mention, the window sticker was originally on the rear passenger window when they sent me a picture a few days after it arrived. But then a few days later when I got home and went there, the window sticker was removed and rolled up in the glove box. Seems like the only reason to remove the window sticker was if someone took it home for the weekend or something. They knew I would not be able to pick it up as I was out of town.

cmitter250 12-08-2018 08:55 AM

Mine was built in March, I bought it on June 27 off the lot with 7 miles.

Timtanium 12-08-2018 09:00 AM

Mine had 8.9 miles on it when I took it home from the dealer. I took it on a 1-2 mile test drive before that. Not completely sure, but I've read around here that some trucks are sampled for additional testing that can add something like 15 to 20 miles.

Pocket 12-08-2018 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by STX Screamer (Post 18349357)
Just curious what others have found is the normal amount of miles to be on an ordered truck when picking it up from the dealer?

I know this probably seems petty to some. This is my first ordered vehicle and first F250. I was out of town for a week when it arrived. I won't be able to pick it up for a few more days until my wife and I can both go.

I also feel like there was some bait and switch tactics used with the price. When we ordered the truck, they claimed they were able to extend my PCO, but now say sorry, it has expired. I have not decided how I want to react. I can easily wait another 3 months to order another from another dealer.

When you order a truck all rebates at the time of the order qualify at delivery. If rebates at delivery are better, you can use those instead.

I took delivery of my truck with something like 6 miles on it. No I did not test drive.

Timtanium is correct, a random sample of vehicles are driven by Ford employees on a closed course for a few additional miles as part of ongoing quality control.

2018f250stx 12-08-2018 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by STX Screamer (Post 18349357)

I'd tell them deals off unless it's for the price agreed on. It's Dec I doubt they want to lose the sale at the end of the year

fortheford 12-08-2018 09:15 AM

I did a factory order and also had a PCO. The original order was messed up and required a new order. Throughout the entire process it was clear my PCO would be valid *regardless* of when the truck arrived. In my case the PCO had to be extended (by the dealer) twice. There is absolutely no reason - and I have a specific thread on this forum related to the PCO being extended - that you should walk away from a PCO because your dealer says "it expired". Find a new dealer.

In the end my factory order truck had like 80 miles on it when I picked it up. I knew why and was ok with it, as the dealer actually picked the truck up at the rail yard, instead of waiting for trucking, and drove it to the dealership for me to pick up.

Good luck, hope everything works out for you.

'18_F250_4x4 12-08-2018 09:31 AM

For some perspective I did not order my truck and it had 26 miles on it (of which I put on about 5). The "delivered" paperwork had 6 miles on it so 15 miles were driven from the arrival time to pick up.

No way would I accept the truck without the deal in place being honored and may even say see ya and buy elsewhere... they at that point may start offering you additional items to keep your business.

2019er 12-08-2018 09:40 AM

Mine had exactly 5 on it when I picked it up at the dealer. I didn't order, it was on the lot. It had 5.5 after they went to the station to top of the tank for me. I think the rail line goes right into Denver likely, so it only probably had to take one train ride to get there.

harmanrk 12-08-2018 09:57 AM

Mine had 3 miles on it, picked up 4 days after it rolled off the line. Delivered from KY to MI by truck, was never on a train.

That said, my job takes me to a lot of automotive plants, and I have seen convoys of F150s rolling into the shipping yard at Flat Rock Assembly (where the Mustang is made). That had to be coming form the Dearborn plant, 26 miles away. Both times I have seen this, it is 10-12 F150s, with the full shipping plastic and sticker, followed by a Transit 15 passenger van with ford in plant shuttle logos (To take the drivers back to Dearborn). Drive around the Detroit metro are enough and you will eventually notice parking lots at plants that are no longer open, being used as holding lots. The vehicles rack up miles getting to and from such areas.

Also as was stated above, random samples are taking as they come off the line, and go for 'testing' at part of QA. Seeing a brand new vehicle hit a section of washboard concrete at 40MPH, to 'see what shakes loose' it probably something most owners don't want to think has happened to their new car, before it even left the factory, but it happens 2 or 3 times an hour, and someone ends up taking delivery of their brand new precious.

RGPolo 12-08-2018 10:21 AM

Ordered July 3, used a $3K PCO that expired July 9, Dealer locked it in, nothing down, arrived sept 6, picked up Sept 10, 4 miles on odometer.

acadianbob 12-08-2018 11:33 AM

6 miles on mine