Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   OBDLink MX Bluetooth freezes (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1564792-obdlink-mx-bluetooth-freezes.html)

HDSlowride 12-06-2018 08:58 PM

OBDLink MX Bluetooth freezes

I apologize for posting this in two different areas. Also in the 2011-2016 F350 threads.
I ordered the OBDLink MX Bluetooth last week and when it came in, I installed the OBDLink app on my Samsung S4. I also installed the Torque app with the Ford add ons. Both apps installed fine. I also downloaded the OBDWiz software for Windows onto my surface pro.
My phone and surface both paired with the obd when I plugged it in and both programs on my phone and the software on my surface will run just fine showing the dashboard gauges for a few minutes. Then the screens freeze and everything stops. The middle led's on the obd quit flashing (communicating, I guess) and when I try to reconnect, it just returns a connect error. I have unplugged the obd to reboot it several times and have restarted the phone and the surface but each time it connects and shows data on the gauge displays for a little while and then freezes.
Anyone else deal with this problem and have a solution?

UP_There 12-06-2018 09:21 PM

Sounds like an app compatibility issue with the phone to me. I don't think it is the obd adapter.

SmashinGas 12-07-2018 03:49 AM

I just bought and hooked up with a Blue Driver last night. I synced it up and did a code read - no issues. Then i set up some Live screens to look at on the road. Worked great until ran over a bad pot hole and I lost coms. Tried all you did while it was running and no dice. When I got home I shut down and started over - worked great/ I guess the pot hole knocked it down and required a fresh start and re-pair.

djousma 12-07-2018 06:24 AM

I cant tell for sure from your post, but it sounds like you are connecting your phone and your tablet to the MX at the same time? I don't think that is supported. I'd try just one or the other by themselves and see what you get. I've never had the MX freeze up, but in Torque Pro, I had the setting set to fast communication, and some of the gauges didnt work quite right.

HDSlowride 12-07-2018 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by djousma (Post 18347408)
I cant tell for sure from your post, but it sounds like you are connecting your phone and your tablet to the MX at the same time? I don't think that is supported. I'd try just one or the other by themselves and see what you get. I've never had the MX freeze up, but in Torque Pro, I had the setting set to fast communication, and some of the gauges didnt work quite right.

No, I tried them separately. I even unpaired from my truck sync thinking maybe it was having a problem being paired with two devices in close proximity. The reason I was thinking it must be the OBDLink module was even the OBDWiz program on my surface did the same thing as the app on my phone. After a few minutes the dashboard gauges just freeze and the middle the LED's on the module stop flashing. When it is communicating I've noticed those two (OBD and Host) are blinking rapidly.

MPD56 12-07-2018 09:06 AM

Interesting!!

Could you try putting the OBDLink MX in a differrent FORD. I have a 2013 and when I start Torque Pro before applying power to the adapter, strange things happen.

Also let us know what the buad rate is set at. And maybe try at a lower rate.

Are the Green and Blue Light on solid when it crashes?

Try pushing the OBDLink button in for more then 15 seconds and this will set the adapter to Factory Default settings.