Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   How to identify Heavy Duty vs. Standard Suspension 2001 Ford Ranger (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1564784-how-to-identify-heavy-duty-vs-standard-suspension-2001-ford-ranger.html)

RhodyRanger 12-06-2018 07:44 PM

How to identify Heavy Duty vs. Standard Suspension 2001 Ford Ranger

I have a new to me 2001 Ranger XLT 4.0L AT 4x2 with what I believe is a stretched parking brake cable based on a parking brake light being stuck on. I don't think it is the switch because when I pull the release, I don't see the mechanism make contact with the switch assembly.

I'm beginning to research this and notice that the parts suppliers want to know whether I have a "heavy duty" suspension or if I have a standard suspension. Others list cables for "Payload Package", which I take to be the heavy duty suspension (I could be wrong...)

Can anyone tell me how I determine how to answer whether I have a heavy duty suspension or standard suspension? I don't have records for this vehicle and don't seem to know whether it had the Payload Package.

The VIN decoder here says the (rear) suspension type for this truck is a 2-stage multi-leaf rear (& coil spring front, which I think is irrelevant here). I'm not sure what the "2-stage" part of it is but I did notice that the leaf springs are a 3/1 configuration.

The sticker inside the door lists spring codes of "EC" (where I think the front is a spring code "E" and the rear are a spring code "C"), and a GVWR of 5020 lb.

Thanks for any and all clarifying help.

Conanski 12-06-2018 10:00 PM

You likely have a seized rear park brake cable, these things are too big to stretch but seize they do. As far as if your truck has HD suspension or not I don't know, I didn't think there was any such thing on a Ranger.

RhodyRanger 12-07-2018 07:14 AM

Ok, I hadn't considered the possibility that the cables were seized. Thank you for that.

According to the chart at this link, it appears that the 2001 Rangers were offered with either a 3/1 or a 4/1 leaf spring configuration. So I take those to be standard suspension and heavy duty suspension, relatively speaking. My truck has the 3/1, so that suggests I've got the standard suspension.

I don't understand why the number of leaves in the spring pack impacts the parking brake cable design.

RhodyRanger 12-07-2018 07:41 AM

I have been trying to find a 2001 model year brochure online, thinking that might list the different packages. Anyone know where such a thing might be? I tried here, with no luck for 2001.

ford390gashog 12-07-2018 07:50 AM

The HD was a fleet only option. It was mostly used on fleet orders by Orkin.

ranger pat 12-07-2018 09:00 AM

Ford calls these Payload Package 1 and Payload Package 2. If you have a 3/1 rear spring, it is rated at 1250 LB and the 4/1 spring has a 1750 LB rating. However, your problem is almost definitely what Conanski said about the brake cable either freezing or rusting up. You can try grasping the cable rearward of the cable spring and pulling forward to try to free it up. Be careful if you spray a deicer solution so nothing gets on the brake shoes.

ck1404 12-07-2018 09:15 PM

Have had this problem before on older vehicles. Have you tried backing up with some speed, hit the brakes hard to get it free? Maybe sometimes repeat forward and back a few times if needed. Might work.

RhodyRanger 12-08-2018 05:36 PM

Thanks all!

So, yes, I have a seized cable.

Backing up, I heard a brake shoe dragging noise. The noise is intermittent. This truck sat for a while before we got it, so it has had a couple of minor issue due to sitting.