Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Ceramic Coating - $499 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1564778-ceramic-coating-499-a.html)

cecilt 12-06-2018 07:18 PM

Ceramic Coating - $499

A local detailer in my town is offering a full interior detail, exterior paint correction and 5 year warranty on full ceramic coating for $499. My '17 F350 King Ranch sits outside uncovered 365 days a year. I take very good care of the paint and keep it clean but was curious if ceramic coating is a gimmick or worth it? When it wears does it cause the paint to look bad? Does it need redone after the 5 years? If you don't redo the ceramic coating after 5 years does it cause problems when you go to just normally wax it. Is $499 for what they are offering a good price? Is there different types of ceramic coatings where you can get a cheap product vs. a top of the line or is ceramic coating ceramic coating. Sorry for all the questions.

lawdogg149 12-06-2018 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can give you first hand knowledge. Their is only 3 true manufactures of ceramic auto coatings all three in japan. I have visited them. Their products are resold and branded to many companies throughout the world. The major cost in coating a vehicle is the prep work. You want the paint perfect before sealing it in with a coating. My guy usually spends 2 days just prepping the car. He coated both my car and bus.

snaproll 12-06-2018 08:27 PM

It’s a long, long day with a clay bar and buffer and hand “waxing” to do a synthetic coating on a well used vehicle plus probably at least $100 in materials. If he does a quality job and your truck shines better than new and beads water for years then that is a steal. Heck, for $200 down here they can’t even get the bugs off the grille! And trucks are huge and even more work than a car.

powersrp 12-06-2018 09:16 PM

Wow, I agree, it took two days to do my tundra, it will make your hands ache for a few days, I wish I would have bought my new 250 in September, it’s sits in the garage now but it’s virgin paint and I have to decide if I want to wash it a panel at a time then bar and polish it or wait till spring.

powersrp 12-06-2018 09:30 PM

I bought a ceramic coating kit, I do my own detailing, I was afraid to use it on my tundra, I may use it on the hood of my kubota this spring to c what’s involved, but I don’t think it’s an easy job, it’s a 2 day job just to get our trucks ready for a process like that, it’s like a clear coat on a paint job, if it ain’t perfect your going to see it.

7591250sd 12-06-2018 09:35 PM

499$ worth of OCD

ford390gashog 12-06-2018 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by lawdogg149 (Post 18346971)
I can give you first hand knowledge. Their is only 3 true manufactures of ceramic auto coatings all three in japan. I have visited them. Their products are resold and branded to many companies throughout the world. The major cost in coating a vehicle is the prep work. You want the paint perfect before sealing it in with a coating. My guy usually spends 2 days just prepping the car. He coated both my car and bus.

Just for comparison what did the car cost to do? Local place here charged me 1400.00 to do my neighbors navigator. They spent 3 days cutting and buffing out the factory orange peel and the micro swirls before they coated it.

lawdogg149 12-07-2018 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Just for comparison what did the car cost to do? Local place here charged me 1400.00 to do my neighbors navigator. They spent 3 days cutting and buffing out the factory orange peel and the micro swirls before they coated it.

I use to work in the coatings industry and sourced for several big names. Local guy is close friend. Car was $400 and motor coach $1300. I did both when new. Prep was much easier. Different vehicles come from factory with different quality paint jobs. Audi is one of the best. And motor coach was bought at RV show so it was prepped mostly already.

I will say guys and gals don't buy into the 5 year if its more than 20% of the cost of 3 year. I can't get into much conversation of the products specifics. I usually do all my vehicles when new and put 3 year on mine.

LiquidSteam 12-07-2018 04:44 AM

I had mine done for $500...... it did take a full day.... a few spots of paint correction from the dealer "prep" lol..... I did not receive an interior detail for that price however. I also keep my truck outside 24/7/365 and I did it just for the peace of mind at least. How will it hold up? Not sure. It's been a year and the truck still looks great. Pics are from early summer after I had it done.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...0e21c05a9c.png
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...a66468307e.png

mattymax 12-07-2018 06:23 AM

Can you still apply WAX over the Ceramic coating or once its done, its done ?

matt

GABAR 12-07-2018 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by cecilt (Post 18346850)
A local detailer in my town is offering a full interior detail, exterior paint correction and 5 year warranty on full ceramic coating for $499. My '17 F350 King Ranch sits outside uncovered 365 days a year. I take very good care of the paint and keep it clean but was curious if ceramic coating is a gimmick or worth it? When it wears does it cause the paint to look bad? Does it need redone after the 5 years? If you don't redo the ceramic coating after 5 years does it cause problems when you go to just normally wax it. Is $499 for what they are offering a good price? Is there different types of ceramic coatings where you can get a cheap product vs. a top of the line or is ceramic coating ceramic coating. Sorry for all the questions.

Well, since you said that you take care of your truck and instead of jumping on this offer, why don`t you just purchase a quality car/truck cover. Depending on which one is chosen, you`ll have some dent protection. Check out the CoverCraft website.

RandyinTN 12-07-2018 07:51 AM

My thoughts are it depends on the owner. My 2002 never seen the inside of a garage as it was to big. When I sold it in 2013 the paint still looked fantastic because twice a year the truck would be clayed and waxed. Same for my 2013 Tundra. It stayed out in the sun at 7,000 feet for over 2 years yet everywhere I went people complimented me on the looks.
If you dislike claying and waxing and your truck sits outside 100% of the time it could be worth it. If your like a lot of folks who take pride in making their truck shine and store it under cover then I see little need for a "ceramic" coating.
One of the reasons people like "ceramic" is not because of the coating, but because of all the attention to make the paint look its best before the coating is applied.

powersrp 12-07-2018 08:29 AM

We had a 2015 thor fourwinds 33 ft motor home, it was built on a f550 chassis, loved that power stroke, the conversion was a piece of crap, front fenders didnt fit right, nor did the lower bumper valance, it basically was self distructed driving down the rd, (typical of thor products, and now they own airstream) beautiful paint job, but the truck cab was covered in overspray and it had sum buffer burns, it took a lots of clay barring to get that beast looking good, Sold it as soon as our new house was completed, I told my wife if we didn’t sell it in 6 months I was going to unbolt the Fiberglas conversion, strap it to a tree and rip it off, then I would put a flat bed on it. Don’t buy thor products, they are junk

Maiden666 12-07-2018 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by lawdogg149 (Post 18347314)
I use to work in the coatings industry and sourced for several big names. Local guy is close friend. Car was $400 and motor coach $1300. I did both when new. Prep was much easier. Different vehicles come from factory with different quality paint jobs. Audi is one of the best. And motor coach was bought at RV show so it was prepped mostly already.

I will say guys and gals don't buy into the 5 year if its more than 20% of the cost of 3 year. I can't get into much conversation of the products specifics. I usually do all my vehicles when new and put 3 year on mine.

I got a quote from a place here in SLC for $1650...PLUS, ESTIMATED 12 hrs at $75 per hour paint correction prep for my Ruby Red 350 with 158 miles!!!

RandyinTN 12-07-2018 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by powersrp (Post 18347569)
We had a 2015 thor fourwinds 33 ft motor home, it was built on a f550 chassis, loved that power stroke, the conversion was a piece of crap, front fenders didnt fit right, nor did the lower bumper valance, it basically was self distructed driving down the rd, (typical of thor products, and now they own airstream) beautiful paint job, but the truck cab was covered in overspray and it had sum buffer burns, it took a lots of clay barring to get that beast looking good, Sold it as soon as our new house was completed, I told my wife if we didn’t sell it in 6 months I was going to unbolt the Fiberglas conversion, strap it to a tree and rip it off, then I would put a flat bed on it. Don’t buy thor products, they are junk

What does your post have to do with ceramic coatings?