Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   MOONROOF PROBLEMS (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1564207-moonroof-problems.html)

BigTexDiesal 12-12-2018 02:04 PM

Pano roof was last thing I wanted but it was a left over 2017 in correct color and options I wanted. I love opening the shade but not the roof. Especially in the winter. My plan was to never open the roof, if you don't highly unlikely you will ever have an issue. That being said on a nice clear dry day I open it, lol. I have had sunroofs in past. Never opened them, always hated them and here I am with another. Maybe we boycott all cars with sunroofs and the manufactures will stop pushing them down are throats.

NWnative 12-12-2018 02:04 PM

I specifically ordered my 2019 without the sunroof based on the numerous issues reported on this forum and the F150 forum. I never really used it anyway....one less thing to have issues with.

JD'sBigredv10 12-12-2018 02:22 PM

The sunroof on my 2016 F150 was repaired under warranty but that would not detract me from ordering one...actually it didn't because I have the same sunroof on my Super Duty. I love to have mine open.I do believe that these panoramic sunroofs may be disproportionately problematic but if you are looking at trucks where it's an option, there are probably lots of fancy features that could break. My truck is so complicated that I am certain that at some point there will be problems with some of the features. Almost everything is fancy and prone to failure in 2018!

A&Pmech 12-31-2018 06:10 PM

So a couple weeks ago my sunroof was completely stuck, would not slide back at all. I had press the vent button and it popped very hard and then I could slide it back. So I ordered a tube of this door ease and I finally received it today. Although I just applied it I could immediately tell a difference. Before, it would always have a slight pop, even immediately after closing it. Now, it's nice and smooth. Hopefully, it'll stay that way even after going awhile after uses.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...134ad8f1cf.jpg

2019er 06-04-2021 06:04 AM

Update, mine is having issues now. About 30k miles on it, with a three month cross country road trip planned. I don't dare let them try to fix it now since we head out in two weeks. It's closed, and will stay that way til we return. But will be out of warranty by then. Can I put in the claim now and have the work done later? Ha, wait, I'll call the Ford dealer and ask them. I just don't want to let them out of my sight with my truck. I don't want things fixed other than what I tell them to fix. I don't care about other recalls, etc. They aren't causing issues.

SRock123 06-10-2021 10:38 AM

My Raptor track broke and my 2017 Superduty leaks and the dealer has tried 2 times to fix it. The local dealer, Pompano Ford, told me since I am in Florida which gets heavy rain they will leak on occasion and this is completely normal. Yes that is what I was told...and it let to an ensuing BS argument but they stood their ground on the comment. If I park nose down I get water through the headliner switches, if it's very slightly uphill no water. Having rarely used the Raptor sunroof I only got the one on the Superduty because the package of options I wanted was less expensive. What a mistake. Personally I think the big sunroofs are stupid in South Florida. Between hot temps, sun, and traffic noise they are not so great.

shadowSVT 06-10-2021 12:13 PM

My 05 had a sunroof.
My 08 had a sunroof.
My 11 had a sunroof.
I've was never a sunroof fan before the 05, but after having to convertible Mustangs, I felt that I needed a sunroof, and bought trucks with the sunroofs.
I didn't have any problems with any of them, and they were used almost daily! I'd say that my 11 had the sunroof cracked open 85% of its life - Hope in, turn key, open sunroof, fasten seat belt, drive.
So I ordered my 21 with the pano sunroof, and me and the wife love it.
Only sunroof I've ever had a problem with was in a Pontiac, but I had problems with EVERYTHING in that rolling pile of crap.
One of my best friends does auto glass and always shakes his head at me when I get a vehicle with a sunroof....But I think these are much better than the ones in the past, or anything GM has to offer.

SRock123 06-10-2021 01:34 PM

I can tell you in Florida it is extremely rare, like .00001 times do I seen a sunroof open on any car. Must be our weather.

shadowSVT 06-10-2021 02:36 PM

Must be the weather.....
Not much rain here. I've even left it open (cracked, not wide open) during light rain without getting any water inside.

Flyct 06-11-2021 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by SRock123 (Post 19920756)
My Raptor track broke and my 2017 Superduty leaks and the dealer has tried 2 times to fix it. The local dealer, Pompano Ford, told me since I am in Florida which gets heavy rain they will leak on occasion and this is completely normal. Yes that is what I was told...and it let to an ensuing BS argument but they stood their ground on the comment. If I park nose down I get water through the headliner switches, if it's very slightly uphill no water. Having rarely used the Raptor sunroof I only got the one on the Superduty because the package of options I wanted was less expensive. What a mistake. Personally I think the big sunroofs are stupid in South Florida. Between hot temps, sun, and traffic noise they are not so great.

Having lived in the South Florida area I agree. The last sunroof I had was in my new 2000 Ford Expedition. At that time the model I wanted had a sunroof standard. I left it open one night and we had torrential rains. What a mess. Destroyed the leather seats.

Every Suoerduty I’ve had since required a special order to get the options I wanted WITHOUT a sunroof.

Ding126 06-11-2021 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by shadowSVT (Post 19920920)
My 05 had a sunroof.
My 08 had a sunroof.
My 11 had a sunroof.
I've was never a sunroof fan before the 05, but after having to convertible Mustangs, I felt that I needed a sunroof, and bought trucks with the sunroofs.
I didn't have any problems with any of them, and they were used almost daily! I'd say that my 11 had the sunroof cracked open 85% of its life - Hope in, turn key, open sunroof, fasten seat belt, drive.
Only sunroof I've ever had a problem with was in a Pontiac, but I had problems with EVERYTHING in that rolling pile of crap.
One of my best friends does auto glass and always shakes his head at me when I get a vehicle with a sunroof....But I think these are much better than the ones in the past, or anything GM has to offer.

I believe the majority of owners who have moon roof issues are the ones who Don't use them on a regular basis...When not used, baked in the sun for months and months, things tend to stick which causes things to break. I use Krytox on all the rubber seals and open the moon roof on every drive. Just one owners opinion.

RubenZ 06-11-2021 08:36 AM

Friends don't let friends get SunROOFS or Cab Lights in their trucks LOL. They almost always leak. Especially if your truck sits out in the hot Texas sun!! Them rubber seals lose their sealing ability's pretty quick.

17 Oaks 06-11-2021 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by shadowSVT (Post 19920920)
My 05 had a sunroof.
My 08 had a sunroof.
My 11 had a sunroof.

My first sunroof was in my '74 Monte Carlo and I did use it back then but it was very popular and demand was high, but since then I have rarely opened mine at all and my 6 Superdutys have it WISH I could delete it but its included in a package option.

hansenlink 06-11-2021 09:21 AM

2005 Taurus
2011 Super Duty
2013 Optima
2014 Sorrento
2015 Explorer
2015 F150
2017 Lincoln MKX
2017 Super Duty
2019 F150
2021 Sonata
2022 Super Duty (on order)
Never had a single issue with any of them. Both the wife and I love em! Would not think of having a vehicle without em.

17 Oaks 06-13-2021 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by hansenlink (Post 19922116)
2005 Taurus
2011 Super Duty
2013 Optima
2014 Sorrento
2015 Explorer
2015 F150
2017 Lincoln MKX
2017 Super Duty
2019 F150
2021 Sonata
2022 Super Duty (on order)
Never had a single issue with any of them. Both the wife and I love em! Would not think of having a vehicle without em.

LOL, other than the F 150 and the Superdutys I have no idea of what the rest are. I have NEVER owned a sedan in my life, Jeeps, Corvettes and Superdutys.