Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   MOONROOF PROBLEMS (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1564207-moonroof-problems.html)

RandyinTN 12-02-2018 07:52 PM

When I was searching for a replacement truck for my Ford buy back the one stipulation was the truck did not have a moon roof. I see no reason to burden myself with an option that has such a high failure rate and could be expensive to repair.
That's my two cents.

Mkos1980 12-02-2018 07:58 PM

No issues on my 19... then again I've never opened it yet as it's been mostly in the 20s since I got the truck....

sc954rr 12-02-2018 08:11 PM

Have an 2018 with no issues so far and maybe opened it a dozen times or so, plus it has been raining like crazy last two months with no leaks.

LiquidSteam 12-03-2018 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Meterman1993 (Post 18337936)
I read few other treads on this Super Duty forum and it seems there have been some problems with the moonroof option? I plan on purchasing this option in a 2019 is this a bad option to have? Do they leak frequently? Does the track get stuck?

Are you talking about the panoramic roof of just a standard moon roof? I have the standard moon roof and have had no problems. I have read some threads about the panoramic moon roof leaking.

SCOTTx88 12-03-2018 06:00 AM

Ordered my 19 with it, It's rained since I've had it,pretty much every/other day. No leaks or issues, But ditto on the sliding cover, close it, No sun.

hansenlink 12-03-2018 10:12 AM

Have had them on my 15 Sorento, 15 Explorer, 17 Super Duty, and wife's 15 Lincoln MKC. Not one issue. And for the me the novelty has not worn off and would not consider a vehicle without it. Really opens up the interior.

Dockmaster1 12-03-2018 10:37 AM

I have it on my 17. I had problems and the track broke (I did a thread on here about that). The dealer replaced the track and despite the track issue I love the panoramic roof and would order again. I don't drive my truck daily and it is parked in a garage so obviously this helps. I really like the amount of light coming in especially since my truck is black on black.

SESWIM 12-03-2018 12:05 PM

No leaking or sticking here. No issues at all.
Sam

Mixerman90 12-03-2018 05:38 PM

My 17 has a pano roof. I love it. I had it for about 2 years before I had problems. It started out by sticking and then popping. Then "crunch"! That was it. It was all kitty wampus and wouldn't close straight. Dealer replaced the whole frame and track system under warranty.

GoldenDomer 12-07-2018 07:25 AM

Well, it finally happened. I thought I was one of the lucky ones as I've had my truck since last July, almost 18 months and yesterday my son noticed water dripping off the handle on the passenger side front seat. Don't know if the hose is clogged or somehow disconnected but I put a bucket in the floor overnight and thank god I did. The floor would have been standing in water had the bucket not been there. Time to get in to the shop.

telly9987 12-12-2018 12:44 AM

No leaks and no sticking on mine. Had the truck 2 months now and live in SoCal and am out in the desert quite a lot. No sticking issues.... Truck gets washed and detailed every other week and no water leaks noticed either.

bushpilot 12-12-2018 06:03 AM

'17 Platinum here - purchased in April 2017 - no problem w/ the roof. The truck sits outside when parked and has seen 100s of inches of TEXAS hurricane level rain.
I tinted mine to help keep the heat out a little - for those times I forget to close the sun shade. The ford factory sun shade makes a huge difference in keeping the heat out.

17 Oaks 12-12-2018 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by cficare (Post 18339315)
That's true. I've also heard of several posters here (mostly Texans) add some sort of tint because that space between the glass and the sunshade becomes a hot, shallow oven.

Living in S Tex, there ain't enough tint to put on it that will stop the heat...BUT what does is at Home Depot they carry rolls of reflective bubble insulation. I had some left over from the insulation of the 2 nd floor stairwell and I cut a couple of pieces to fit and slid them in over the shade between it and the glass, works GREAT...

TireFryer426 12-12-2018 11:05 AM

I was in the same boat. Didn't want the moon roof. Ordered a Lariat Ultimate minus that option. For some unknown reason, the truck showed up with a moon roof.
And I actually kind of like it now. Haven't had any issues with it.

D3thM3tal 12-12-2018 12:51 PM

I love the extra head room, the light and it sure is a wow factor when getting in the truck. I love it and wouldn't be without it.