Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Charging system issue! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1562428-charging-system-issue.html)

justinlb917 11-15-2018 07:12 PM

Charging system issue!

Hey guys, so I got myself into a little trouble and need to firgue out this issue. My friend had purchased a new crazy expensive snap on scanner and for ****s and giggles I was playing with it on my truck and i ended up doing some sort of damage to my charging system. I was performing a KOER test when in the middle of the test I smelled a burning smell and did see a little smoke. I immediately shut down the test and tried to find the source but couldn't see where the smoke came from. No codes came up no lights came up nothing so I didn't think anything bad had actually happened, next day driving the truck I noticed the radio would keep shutting off and my 12v and cig lighter no longer were putting power out. Then the truck died. Dash went dark, lights went out and completely went dead. Got it jump started and it seemed to have full power, started to drive home and it died again. I finally got it home and now see a battery light on the dash. I charged batteries and tested to see if I was getting a constant 14v from the batteries which I was not. Tried a new alternator and still no luck. I know I messed something up and I'm paying for it now. I'm here to ask where I should start looking for where the actual issue is. Also I did seem to find the source of smoke which looks like it came from the air intake heater. The wires that are bolted to it have charred Mark's and have an obvious sign of melting and overheating. Also I noticed even with a battery charger on my glow plug lights are taking 4x as long to shut off then before the test. Can someone maybe give me some insight on what I need to look for thank you !

justinlb917 11-15-2018 07:14 PM

Ps it's a 2002 4x4 crew cab 7.3l

Colorado350 11-15-2018 08:24 PM

Justin, fuse #10 under the hood is cigarette/ power point and obd port...at least it is on my 99. Are you getting charging voltage AT the alternator? If yes, is it getting to the batteries?

justinlb917 11-15-2018 09:33 PM

It's an 02 so fuse panel under the driver side dash. When I charged the batteries the outlets worked

burnthelight88 11-15-2018 11:08 PM

Not sure what it has to do with the OBD, but the intake air heater is connected to a relay. I'd replace the relay if its charred, shouldn't be incredibly expensive. Then go from there.

justinlb917 11-16-2018 09:25 AM

Got a pair of them sitting on another motor. Gonna try the swap with the relays and see if that gets me anywhere

burnthelight88 11-16-2018 07:45 PM

Guzzle had a great series of tests for the glow plug relay, I'm sure you could adapt it easily to the Air Intake Heater relay...

Welcome to guzzle's White-Rodgers (Stancor) GPR replacement Mod Web Page