Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   DEF issues (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1562048-def-issues.html)

projectnitemare 11-12-2018 07:06 PM

DEF issues

On a trip today in my 16 F250, I'm suspecting a sensor going bad but not sure. I get a warning message 36 miles until limited to 50mph. I had filled and successfully reset the tank last week with no issues. I pulled over to add more fluid and it was still full, ran a system check and it said the level was ok. Being 400 miles from home at that point, I kept driving and the message went away about 15 miles later. Anyone else have trouble like that before? I'm looking at my budget now debating between deletes and fixing other issues with the truck or trading for some more reliable.

agpopp 11-12-2018 07:57 PM

I hope this isn't too common of an issue. I just got my 6.7 after selling my v10 and passing on a 6.2 dually. How many miles do you have?

projectnitemare 11-12-2018 08:22 PM

Just turned 59k this trip

Overkill2 11-21-2018 10:40 AM

So you're saying the message came on and stated you had only 36 miles left in range instead of the 500 mile range warning?

The Bone 11-21-2018 11:58 AM

You have to let the computer reset itself. Its not a big deal. Had this happen to me while towing my 5th wheel. I was going nuts but truck cleared the message and no more issues. I tried to reset the computer with no luck. You have to let the truck do it. This is normal so I recommend not deleting your truck. If you live in a smog state that will be a problem and I personally not buy a deleted truck.

tradosaurus 11-21-2018 12:33 PM

If you do a delete plan on about $2600 for your budget. Compare that to whatever costs to deal with the sensor repair.

I just had my truck deleted and am so glad I don't have to ever worry about DEF.

The Bone 11-21-2018 05:32 PM

$2,600 2 = sets of tires. Money not well spent.
OP may not ever have to replace anything in the DPF system. No sense in fixing what isn't broken.

tradosaurus 11-21-2018 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Bone (Post 18319673)
$2,600 2 = sets of tires. Money not well spent.
OP may not ever have to replace anything in the DPF system. No sense in fixing what isn't broken.

Your opinion. If the OP were to have to pay a dealer to fix DEF sensor it would run about $800.

Definitely money well spent for me. More power, better mpg, more environmentally friendly, no worries.

HDSlowride 11-21-2018 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by projectnitemare (Post 18302301)
On a trip today in my 16 F250, I'm suspecting a sensor going bad but not sure. I get a warning message 36 miles until limited to 50mph. I had filled and successfully reset the tank last week with no issues. I pulled over to add more fluid and it was still full, ran a system check and it said the level was ok. Being 400 miles from home at that point, I kept driving and the message went away about 15 miles later. Anyone else have trouble like that before? I'm looking at my budget now debating between deletes and fixing other issues with the truck or trading for some more reliable.

The exact same thing happened to me last week. See my thread titled "exhaust fluid system fault", started on 11/10/2018

Chuck-B 11-22-2018 07:14 AM

There is a huge debate around topping off your DEF. Some say topping off the DEF causes these types of issues and you should wait until you get the warning, others say they do it all the time and have no issues at all. Not sure which is best, I wait for the warning and have not had any issues. If you are topping off you may want to try waiting until you get the warning and see if you are still experiencing the issue.

slorider 11-24-2018 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by tradosaurus (Post 18319828)
Your opinion. If the OP were to have to pay a dealer to fix DEF sensor it would run about $800.

Definitely money well spent for me. More power, better mpg, more environmentally friendly, no worries.

Curious as to how removing the emission system makes the truck more environmentally friendly?

Superdave71 11-24-2018 10:55 AM

I’m not sure how he sees it, but if you look at the big picture and consider manufacturing infrastructure, coal generated electricity, plus raw materials for the emissions equipment plus the distribution and manufacturing of DEF, and then consider mpg suffers because of this equipment, at best you’re a wash.

There’s a time and place for everything. If I operated my truck in an urban environment I’d consider keeping it soot free, but the 36 ricks of firewood I burn a winter probably add more soot than my deleted truck - but at least burning wood is CO neutral.

Dakster 11-24-2018 10:09 PM

Bringing mine in to the dealer for the same issue - I refilled it when I got the 500 miles to empty message, it reset. Then around 1000-1500 miles later it said 500 miles to empty, so I refilled it and it took around 2 gallons and overflowed- but reset the message... It did the same thing a couple more times so I figure I got a sensor out on the side of the DEF tank or the sending unit it bad. I have found some info on it searching around for it.

Delete, don't delete - personal choice. Not sure that burning extra fuel and distributing DEF is more environmentally friendly than not, but I will say that I do enjoy a soot trap as I trailers are no longer covered in soot. Also the back of the truck isn't either...

kper05 11-25-2018 03:58 AM

Has the DEF formula changed? I know, probably not but it seems there have been a rapid increase in SCR related complaints this year. I've certainly had my own expensive issues.

Just Strokin 11-25-2018 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by kper05 (Post 18324923)
Has the DEF formula changed? I know, probably not but it seems there have been a rapid increase in SCR related complaints this year. I've certainly had my own expensive issues.

You have to remember that forums magnify a problem that might not be a problem in the real world. You have a very limited subset of the 6.7 owners in a single forum and then they might be in other forums under a different name. If they post in all the forums they are members, you multiply the number of complaints about a problem.

And taking the membership of one forum is 5,000 for the 6.7 or even 10,000 members, that would be a mere drop in the bucket compared to the millions of vehicles with the 6.7 installed and most with no problems being reported.