Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   2013 ford f150 ecoboost torque converter issues (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1561589-2013-ford-f150-ecoboost-torque-converter-issues.html)

mandy2013! 11-08-2018 02:08 PM

2013 ford f150 ecoboost torque converter issues

I'm just a girl, don't really know much but need confirmation I'm being told right...
My baby is a 2013 FX2 ecoboost 160,000 miles. At highway speed 70-80 if I go to accelerate (too hard too quickly I guess) my truck begins to shudder, loses power & the yellow check engine light flashes for about a minute then all goes back to normal. Sometimes when the flashing light stops it will stay off other times it will stay on & that's annoying because then my remote start wont work till my husbands friend comes over with some computer thing & clears the code.
THEN other times when I'm just rolling slowly through a parking lot my truck will make the violent hard jerk 1 time then its fine. it literally feels like I just got rear-ended.
is this in-fact my torque converter yall think or...???
One sec., small history note: When this happened before FORD Dealer said it was a misfire of cylinder 3 & they "fixed it".
Um, no, NOT FIXED.
Ok any advise welcomed.
Thanks,

Mark Kovalsky 11-08-2018 08:37 PM

It certainly isn't the torque converter. The ONLY way the check engine light can flash is for an engine misfire. You have a misfire problem.

ford390gashog 11-08-2018 08:52 PM

You need to service the plugs and coils, also consider drilling a hole in the intercooler to drain the moisture. The 6r80 is a good transmission, when was it last serviced?

mandy2013! 11-08-2018 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 18295836)
It certainly isn't the torque converter. The ONLY way the check engine light can flash is for an engine misfire. You have a misfire problem.

Meaning the spark plugs? My husband replaced them all and the problem continued. Sorry, you have to really break this down for me lol.
Thanks, Mandy

mandy2013! 11-08-2018 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 18295872)
You need to service the plugs and coils, also consider drilling a hole in the intercooler to drain the moisture. The 6r80 is a good transmission, when was it last serviced?

Hi, my husband did replace all the spark plugs but the problem continued. That was after Ford said the fixed the cylinder 3 that was missfireing.
Not that my truck has warranty anymore but... Will making the hole you suggested make it to where the dealer won’t be willing to work on it in the future. I know probably a really really stupid question but lol had to ask.
Thanks, Mandy

ford390gashog 11-08-2018 11:49 PM

Has your truck ever had the misfire TSB done? It involves the shield on the intercooler. Some of us drill a small drain hole in the intercooler, especially in high humidity environments. It helps the condensation drain.

tseekins 11-09-2018 05:22 AM

On the ecoboost, you have to replace the boots and the plugs at the same time of the misfire problem could persist intermittently.

The hole that was referred to in the intercooler is a 1/16th size hole on the drivers side lower corner of the intercooler. The hole isn't large enough to lose any boost but just large enough to force out all moisture that otherwise may be getting drawn into the intake system. I did it about 40,000 miles ago and nary an issue.

Lastly, as asked before, when was the transmission serviced last? At 160K, you're due for a flush as per your owners guide.

mandy2013! 11-09-2018 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 18296219)
On the ecoboost, you have to replace the boots and the plugs at the same time of the misfire problem could persist intermittently.

The hole that was referred to in the intercooler is a 1/16th size hole on the drivers side lower corner of the intercooler. The hole isn't large enough to lose any boost but just large enough to force out all moisture that otherwise may be getting drawn into the intake system. I did it about 40,000 miles ago and nary an issue.

Lastly, as asked before, when was the transmission serviced last? At 160K, you're due for a flush as per your owners guide.

Hi, I’m so sorry I realized I didn’t hit that question after I had already replied.
No the transmission hasn’t been serviced so I’m sadly overdue.
Been holding out due to the expense of it & thinking I’m going to have the cost of the torque converter too.

As for the spark plugs, wires & boots I would hope that my husband did all three things!?!? The boots I assume are the black L shaped looking things right?

I definitely plan to ask him about making the hole. He’s a diesel guy & he’s done this that & the other to his turbos & DPF or something like that. Now it’s my trucks turn for some TLC.
I appreciate all the info! Thanks a bunch!!!

70f100longbed 11-09-2018 07:25 PM

Definitely need to do the coil boots at the same time as the plugs. The drain hole is a good idea too. You need to get it scanned again to see which cylinder is now causing the misfire and put another plug in that one. I normally replace the coil as well for good measure. What happens with worn plugs is the spark jumps between the plug and boot instead of the electrode. When that happens a small amount of rubber is vaporized and leaves a carbon track in the boot and on the plug. Now the spark has 2 routes to take instead of 1. When you just replace the plugs the track is still in the boot so the next time the spark jumps outside it makes a track on the new plug. Then if you just replace the boots or the coil thinking the plug is new so it has to be good the track remains on the plug. Have to do them as a set.

Mark Kovalsky 11-09-2018 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by mandy2013! (Post 18297450)
Been holding out due to the expense of it & thinking I’m going to have the cost of the torque converter too.

Replacing the torque converter will just waste a lot of money. There is nothing wrong with the torque converter.

The problem is in the engine, not the transmission or torque converter. Listen to what the others are telling you about the spark plugs/boots/coils. That's where the problem lies.

mandy2013! 11-09-2018 10:00 PM

Thank you so much to all you guys! Sorry I’ve been kinda weird or whatever on the messages. This is my 1st time on this site and trying to learn how to navigate it without ignoring anyone & on my cell has been a little trying.
I’ll definitely push my husband to revisit everything you guys advised on and put the torque converter out of his mind. Our neighbor says his truck had the exact same issue on his Expo as I’m having and the resolution was the TC so....
Thanks again!!!!

brokenleg 11-10-2018 09:56 AM

99% of the time its the engine causing the shuddering and vibration. The torque converter almost never gives problems.

ford390gashog 11-10-2018 05:06 PM

Also worth mentioning but when it misfires and the light is flashing you are causing damage to the catalytic converters and it's not cheap to replace them.

mandy2013! 11-11-2018 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 18298655)
Also worth mentioning but when it misfires and the light is flashing you are causing damage to the catalytic converters and it's not cheap to replace them.

Thank you! I think I’ve finally convinced my husband through all the info the others have provided me to look back into their suggestions rather than proceeding with the TC. I’m terrified now that the CAT will be trash due to how long we’ve put this off.
I appreciate everything from everyone!!!!

Lectrocuted 11-12-2018 04:43 AM

Cats may be fine. Solve the misfire with above advice and go from there.