Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   335 Series- 5.8/351M, 6.6/400, 351 Cleveland (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum54/)
-   -   351c Camshaft advice (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1560225-351c-camshaft-advice.html)

77custom408 10-27-2018 01:34 PM

351c Camshaft advice

Hello everyone I’m looking for some camshaft advice for my combo I’m putting together, I have a 1979 F-100 swb truck that I’m wanting to turn into a weekend cruiser/street truck and right now my truck has a 300i6 with a 3.03 3spd trans and a Dana 44 rear with 2.75 gears.
my initial goal was to put my F4TE roller block 351w with AFR 185 heads, scat crank and rods, roller cam, eddy air gap and Holley SA carb in it but I think I’m gonna save that for another project.
my goal now is to build a budget motor with my 351c I have laying around and my specs will be

-1971 351c engine block bored .30 over
- stock crank and rods with ARP bolts
-1971 4v cc heads with screw in studs, roller rockers
-Edelbrock performer intake
-Holley 670cfm Street Avenger carb
-pistons not sure yet looking for a streetable compression ratio don’t mind using premium fuel

I will be putting my 4spd toploader behind this motor and a 9’ rear not sure of gears yet.
the 2 cams I’m looking at are the Comp Magnum 270h and the comp XE262h and I’m wanting to know which cam would better serve my pourpose for my combo any experience or advice would be appreciated thanks

baddad457 10-27-2018 06:54 PM

351CC heads and flat tops yield an 11 to 1 comp ratio. You'll need a cam with lots of overlap to bleed off some of that. Is the intake a 4 bbl port model ? I would also go no lower in gears (numerically) than 3.50 with a Cleveland.

77custom408 10-27-2018 09:01 PM

Thanks I’m hoping I can find Pistons with a slight dish to get compression down without losing the quench effect I’m really just wanting to build a warmed over mild and reliable 351c for cruising if I wanted to go all out I would get a forged 377 stroker kit with some CHI heads and a big cam but I’m definitely not looking for a high rpm screamer just a weekend cruiser I’d be happy with around 350hp and good drivability

Destroked 450 10-28-2018 01:15 PM

Higher priced and I don't know the cams specs but my younger brothers 351C has stock compression, 71 4v quench heads and hyd roller cam.
Dyno'd 375 hp and 400 lb torque on pump gas, it's for a 69 Cougar he cruises around in, doesn't race it.
Cam was custom ground with wider duration split to work with the 4v heads.
I may be able to get the specs if your thinking of paying the higher price for a roller cam, we drilled and taped the cam valley to use 351W lifters and spider.

77custom408 10-28-2018 01:30 PM

Thanks for the reply I was thinking about using a Crane standard base hyd roller cam and link bar lifters but they are pricey and sticking with my budget build I’m gonna use a hyd flat tappet cam, I think the comp XE274h will be too much for my combo and the XE262h maybe too small? That’s why I was looking at the magnum 270h

baddad457 10-28-2018 10:51 PM

Well before you decide, keep in mind with a new roller you won't run the chance of a cam failure during break-in or later down the road. So those extra dollars are well spent for piece of mind.

dogdays 10-29-2018 11:51 AM

I'd suggest going stroker. The 393 using the 3.85" stroke will show a quite noticeable increase in power and use those big port heads more than the 3.5"stroke can. Besides the cubic inch jump, you get to pick pistons that get you the compression ratio you need and forged connecting rods.

baddad457 10-29-2018 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by dogdays (Post 18275817)
I'd suggest going stroker. The 393 using the 3.85" stroke will show a quite noticeable increase in power and use those big port heads more than the 3.5"stroke can. Besides the cubic inch jump, you get to pick pistons that get you the compression ratio you need and forged connecting rods.

Just FYI : ALL Ford pushrod V8's had forged rods. The Cleveland rods were among the best. And unless you've actually driven a 4 bbl headed Cleveland, you haven't a clue as to how they work with on a 351 Cubic inch motor. A stroker's never a bad idea though.

Destroked 450 10-29-2018 01:54 PM

I had a 71 Torino GT, factory 351C 4v, 4 spd, all stock but a 750 Holley double pumper.
It would run, more cubic inches is always nice but stroker kits can be budget busters for some people.

77custom408 10-29-2018 02:10 PM

I’m trying to do this motor on a budget that’s my whole point of this build, if I was to throw money at this build like I did my 351w I would get a forged 377 stroker kit and CHI heads but my crank, rods and heads are already at the machine shop, I still might go roller cam though

Destroked 450 10-29-2018 03:33 PM

351W oem roller lifters will work in a 351C, two holes need to be drilled and taped to hold the spider in place.
Summit Racing has Ford Performance lifters, spider and bones for around $175, using these is a big savings over buying aftermarket retro lifters and links.
You'll still need to select a cam and will also need a bronze dist gear or one of Cranes special gears.
Any aftermarket cam will require matching springs no matter if it's flat tappet or roller.

77custom408 10-29-2018 04:24 PM

Thanks but it’s either a hyd flappet or a standard base roller for me I’m not interested in using a retro-fit reduced base cam, I know the price of admission on a roller cam will be 1k+ and I know all the benefits of using a roller cam, I was thinking about going the budget route and using a flat tappet cam even though I’ve heard the horror stories, I still may go with the Crane roller I wanted but I was looking for experience from those who have stuck one of these flat tappets in their Cleveland and what the liked or didn’t like about it

mark a. 10-29-2018 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 77custom408 (Post 18276247)
Thanks but it’s either a hyd flappet or a standard base roller for me I’m not interested in using a retro-fit reduced base cam, I know the price of admission on a roller cam will be 1k+ and I know all the benefits of using a roller cam, I was thinking about going the budget route and using a flat tappet cam even though I’ve heard the horror stories, I still may go with the Crane roller I wanted but I was looking for experience from those who have stuck one of these flat tappets in their Cleveland and what the liked or didn’t like about it

In general Clevelands do better with split lift-duration cams. I think those cams are a little tight on lobe centers too for a street motor, 110* would be more like it imo.

Destroked 450 10-29-2018 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 77custom408 (Post 18276247)

I think you misunderstood me and I have no idea what a retro-fit reduced base cam is.
What I was saying was you use what ever hydraulic roller cam you want, but instead of buying to high priced lifters they offer you use the stock style roller lifters like those found in any of the roller 302 and 351W engines built during the late 80's and 90's. This can save you $2-300 over the aftermarket link bar roller lifters.

The term retrofit in hydraulic roller cam means they are for engines that never came with provisions for stock roller style cams

baddad457 10-29-2018 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Destroked 450 (Post 18276007)
I had a 71 Torino GT, factory 351C 4v, 4 spd, all stock but a 750 Holley double pumper.
It would run, more cubic inches is always nice but stroker kits can be budget busters for some people.

My brother had the same car, but with an FMX and a 3.00 geared 9" and it was no slouch. Motor was completely stock when he bought it.