Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   7.3 leaking lots of oil (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1560039-7-3-leaking-lots-of-oil.html)

'99F250 10-25-2018 06:00 PM

7.3 leaking lots of oil

Well maybe not THAT much but it's still quite a bit. Went on a 400 mile round trip last weekend to haul a small tractor home, when I got home I found oil speckled all over the front of the trailer and my tailgate, as well as along the sides of the truck and of course the whole underside had oil on it. While it's great rustproofing I'd like to not have to add any oil to this thing. When I checked the oil level after I discovered the leak it was about halfway down the checkered mark, seems like quite a bit of oil for 400 miles. So now I gotta figure out where the heck it's coming from. I have a buddy with a hot water pressure washer, but he can't do it for another week, so until then I might as well ask the 7.3 experts on what it could be. The valley is relatively dry, I just did a turbo rebuild and EBPV delete, and the valley looks the exact same as when I left it. Also, the gap between oil pan and tranny looks drier than the bottom of the pan so I don't believe it's a rear main or valley leak. The whole oil pan is wet, from front to back, so I'm guessing it's up front. Checked the HPOP reservoir and from the top it looks clean and dry. The oil pan seal itself LOOKS to be the culprit, but that's a lotta oil to be coming from the pan gasket. Most places I look it's relatively dry above the pan gasket, and wet below it. Is there anything else that could cause this much of a leak? I want to get out and do more checking but currently it's raining and I haven't had a chance to look yet.

DavenTn 10-25-2018 06:04 PM

Oil cooler is my guess... can't see it from here.

'99F250 10-25-2018 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by DavenTn (Post 18269728)
Oil cooler is my guess... can't see it from here.

That is one thing I don't think I checked, I will definitely look harder at that...

Walleye Hunter 10-25-2018 07:47 PM

How 'bout the dipstick where it enters the pan? That seems to be a fairly frequent problem.

'99F250 10-25-2018 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter (Post 18269921)
How 'bout the dipstick where it enters the pan? That seems to be a fairly frequent problem.

It is leaking from there, but it doesn't look like it was gushing out

Colorado350 10-25-2018 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter (Post 18269921)

. This would be my guess too. This is what mine looked like when it finally went...hemorrhaging oil!

The fix:

'99F250 10-25-2018 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado350 (Post 18270174)
. This would be my guess too. This is what mine looked like when it finally went...hemorrhaging oil!

https://youtu.be/xM2wEXIohzM

The fix:

https://youtu.be/8qRyEmNo5jg

Good gosh that's a leak, maybe tomorrow if I find time I'll just sit under it while it's running and watch some more.

Colorado350 10-25-2018 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by '99F250 (Post 18270208)
Good gosh that's a leak, maybe tomorrow if I find time I'll just sit under it while it's running and watch some more.

. LOL, I believe I said something different than good gosh but yeah it was a leak. I got very lucky in that I caught the leak literally in front of my house 5 minutes before leaving for a long weekend. But what you described is EXACTLY what I had, oil everywhere, coating everything …. Good luck!

'99F250 10-25-2018 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado350 (Post 18270230)
. LOL, I believe I said something different than good gosh but yeah it was a leak. I got very lucky in that I caught the leak literally in front of my house 5 minutes before leaving for a long weekend. But what you described is EXACTLY what I had, oil everywhere, coating everything …. Good luck!

No kidding you were lucky! You wouldn't have made it far with it flowing like that. Did you have to pull the pan off to fix it?
Is there an aftermarket setup that takes care of the dipstick leak? Seems to be a real common problem...

Colorado350 10-25-2018 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by '99F250 (Post 18270286)
No kidding you were lucky! You wouldn't have made it far with it flowing like that. Did you have to pull the pan off to fix it?
Is there an aftermarket setup that takes care of the dipstick leak? Seems to be a real common problem...

The engine needs to be pulled to remove the pan. So I used the repair kit from Strictly Diesel, ordered on Friday, received on Tuesday. Took 2 hours to fix, dropped starter and followed instructions. You will need a locking needle nose pliers.

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-269...epair-kit.aspx

Walleye Hunter 10-26-2018 06:42 AM

Here's a link to a current thread on the subject, there have been many over the years.
Dipstick oil leak

DavenTn 10-28-2018 08:23 AM

Dipstick tube leaks are usually pretty obvious. I actually had a leaking dip stick tube and replaced the insert at the same time. That isn't the easiest job. The monkey and football comes to mind.

One thing I would recommend before taking anything apart on the oil pan regarding the dip stick insert.... make sure the internal parts are secure before you begin. The male threads on my original part were badly corroded and when I began to loosen the large nut, it just fell apart. In other words.... remove the dip stick tube insert first and secure the internal parts before trying to loosen anything.

Walleye Hunter 10-28-2018 09:34 AM

My understanding is that you DO NOT want something there to fall into the pan but I don't know what part it is.

Colorado350 10-28-2018 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter (Post 18273796)
My understanding is that you DO NOT want something there to fall into the pan but I don't know what part it is.

It’s the o ring.

To get the o ring, Use a locking needle nose pliers to grip the flange through the opening for the dipstick put this on before even unscrewing the nut! Once the flange is secured unscrew the nut, gently push the flange in then use a pik to slowly remove the o ring and pull it out through the opening. FYI-It will be around the pliers. Either snip the o ring off or hang on to it then push the flange into the pan. Clean the outside of the pan to prepare for the new dipstick adapter.

Walleye Hunter 10-28-2018 01:09 PM

I was thinking more like the flange you don't want to loose but an O ring in there wouldn't help any either.