Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   How do I adjust my headlights? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1559899-how-do-i-adjust-my-headlights.html)

Zachary Noles 10-24-2018 01:36 PM

How do I adjust my headlights?

i bought a new 1986 f150 not to long ago and the headlights were so bad I couldn’t see 15 foot in front of me. So I bought led headlights and I had no problem installing them but I have no clue how to adjust them. Can anyone tell me how to thank you to anyone who does help me out

FuzzFace2 10-24-2018 02:20 PM

There should be 2 adjusting screws per light, 1 on top and the other to 1 side.
by turning say the top screw in or out will make the light aim higher or lower.
The one on the side to aim left or right.

Only thing I don't know is if you have to pull the head light doors to access the screws,
Dave- - - -

dakotajeep 10-24-2018 09:19 PM

My 86 F150 didn't have any doors. The screws were easily accessed with a simple phillips head screw driver

FuzzFace2 10-25-2018 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by dakotajeep (Post 18268200)
My 86 F150 didn't have any doors. The screws were easily accessed with a simple phillips head screw driver

In the field the trim around the head lights on older cars & trucks is called a head light door.
This trim needs to come off when replacing the head light.
Think our trucks use 4 screws to hold them on.
Some doors have notches to fit the screw driver in for adjusting, some dont.
I pulled my truck apart for ground up rebuild 3 years ago so I could not remember if you had to remove them or not.
Dave - - - -

Odisvan 10-25-2018 07:54 AM

theres some video on youtube how to line them up also, that might help you. Something about parking certain feet away from a wall, and measuring your headlight centerline, and so forth and so on. Also, the headlight trim panel, is also called headlight bezel by some folks.

dakotajeep 10-25-2018 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 (Post 18268458)
In the field the trim around the head lights on older cars & trucks is called a head light door.
This trim needs to come off when replacing the head light.
Think our trucks use 4 screws to hold them on.
Some doors have notches to fit the screw driver in for adjusting, some dont.
I pulled my truck apart for ground up rebuild 3 years ago so I could not remember if you had to remove them or not.
Dave - - - -

Both of my 1986 F150s headlights are adjustable without removing anything. My thumb and finger below show both the adjustment screws. There is a factory notch to allow access.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...0b31306ac2.jpg

Franklin2 10-28-2018 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Odisvan (Post 18268636)
theres some video on youtube how to line them up also, that might help you. Something about parking certain feet away from a wall, and measuring your headlight centerline, and so forth and so on. Also, the headlight trim panel, is also called headlight bezel by some folks.

What I do is find a level parking lot beside a large building (harder to find than you think) and you pull right up to the building wall. Turn the lights on high beam and mark the centerline of the beams on the wall with masking tape. Then back straight up 25ft. With the high beams still on, adjust the centers of the light beams till they line up with the masking tape you stuck to the wall. Then when you put on the low beams, the light should drop down and to the right.

82_F100_300Six 11-19-2018 11:47 PM

Franklin you left out the part where the cops show up during the headlight adjustment
:-X03

Franklin2 11-20-2018 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six (Post 18316614)
Franklin you left out the part where the cops show up during the headlight adjustment
:-X03

I used the side of the factory wall where I used to work.