Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   F250 6.2 Starting Problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1559035-f250-6-2-starting-problems.html)

sparks717 10-17-2018 01:59 PM

F250 6.2 Starting Problems

I have a 2011 F-250 with the 6.2 gas engine and have been having problems starting it recently. If the engine has been turned off for any length of time, the engine just turns over and over and either barely starts, or doesn't start at all. The second attempt usually works fine. I have also found that when I turn the key "on" for the first time, I cannot hear the pump. If I turn the key off and back on, I can hear the pump spin up. I usually have to cycle the key off and back on three times before it will start without hesitation.

If I stop for a short time and start the truck, it fires up on the first try. It's only after it sits for some time that I have to cycle the key. Has anyone else experienced this, and given the symptoms, does it sound like an electrical issue before the pump, or is the pump just going out. I am hoping to dive into it this weekend and wanted to get a jump on it from someone who has maybe already gone through this. Thanks in advance!

DieselBeast01 10-17-2018 02:52 PM

Mine does this after fill ups, but always manages to crank on the first try. It does sputter a little until the fuel pressure gets pumped up. I have read that it is fuel pressure problem. Apparently a lot of trucks do it after filling them up. I didn't look any further into the issue at the time, since I don't drive mine every day and only fill it up about once a month, but now that you have posted this, I will.

Mine only does it after I have opened the fuel filler cap. Never does after just sitting.

sparks717 10-18-2018 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by DieselBeast01 (Post 18255259)
Mine does this after fill ups, but always manages to crank on the first try. It does sputter a little until the fuel pressure gets pumped up. I have read that it is fuel pressure problem. Apparently a lot of trucks do it after filling them up. I didn't look any further into the issue at the time, since I don't drive mine every day and only fill it up about once a month, but now that you have posted this, I will.

Mine only does it after I have opened the fuel filler cap. Never does after just sitting.

Thanks for the reply. Mine is a daily driver and does this every morning coming into work and again in the afternoon when leaving work. In both of these cases, the truck has sat for several hours. Filling up and opening the gas cap does not seem to affect it since it fires right up when finished. It seems to only happen after the truck has been off for a period of time. It's like I am slowly losing fuel pressure.

I'm going to continue to research it, but after it does sit for a while, I'm curious as to why I have to cycle the key to prime the pump and build pressure. I'm leaning on it just being a bad fuel pump. The other thing that has me curious is why I do not hear the fuel pump spin up the first time I turn the key to the on position. This is why I am wondering if this is one of the symptoms of a fuel pump about to give up the ghost.

leadmic 10-18-2018 08:14 AM

To the OP and DieselBeast01, the both your problems sound like a fuel pump replacement. The OPs problem sounds like the fuel pump check valve (located in the fuel pump). DieselBeast01 your problem sounds like a worn fuel pump. When you fill up with furl the difference in fuel temperature causes a worn pump to try and lock up. To confirm this you can hook up a fuel pressure gauge and monitor it when the problem occurs.

jdnettles 10-18-2018 11:44 AM

My 2017 F250 6.2 does the same thing, sputters and spits while the starter cranks, then eventually (just a few seconds, actually) cranks and runs fine. 53,000 miles on it, no other issues.

sparks717 10-18-2018 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by jdnettles (Post 18257009)
My 2017 F250 6.2 does the same thing, sputters and spits while the starter cranks, then eventually (just a few seconds, actually) cranks and runs fine. 53,000 miles on it, no other issues.

From everything that I am hearing and reading, it sounds like the fuel pumps are to blame here. This thread might be useful to you https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tarting-6.html .

It looks like Ford released an updated fuel pump to correct these issues. Very informative thread. When I looked up the new part number, it says that it will not fit my truck, so the 2011's must be using another faulty pump. It looks like the new part number for the updated pump is HC3Z*9H307*U. It apparently replaced the one that ended in J. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

redford 10-18-2018 01:07 PM

There could be a few things that cause this, besides the fuel pump. Throwing parts at the problem without troubleshooting might not correct the issue and will only waste money.

Fuel pump control module - might be flaky

Fuel filter - might be partly clogged. Fuel pump sees pressure when pushing against filter blockage and stops pumping.

Start Enrichment - Something like an Ambient Air Temp sensor malfunction could prevent the engine from enterng into the enrichment cycle, preventing an easy start.

sparks717 10-18-2018 02:14 PM

Redford, you are exactly correct on that and I did not mean to insinuate that the fuel pump could be the only cause of the problem, just the most probable given the number of people with the same symptoms listing that as the ultimate fix. I am sure that I am due for another fuel filter anyway, so thank you for reminding me of that! I will add those to the list of things to check.

You are absolutely correct in that troubleshooting is very important and I appreciate your advice!

johnfist 10-18-2018 02:23 PM

Seems like checking the fuel pressure should be your #1 test. Get the results, check the specs, make your assessment. If it's zero pressure you'll know what it is. If it's just low, you may want to try the filter first.

DieselBeast01 10-18-2018 04:05 PM

I have done some digging on this issue. And everyone seems to say that if the problem is everytime you start the truck, then yes it is fuel pump. If it only does it after you fuel up like mine does, it is evap purge valve in the engine bay. purge valve is only 40 bucks and has 2 bolts that hold it on. I will be trying that first to remedy my problem.

leadmic 10-18-2018 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by DieselBeast01 (Post 18257382)
I have done some digging on this issue. And everyone seems to say that if the problem is everytime you start the truck, then yes it is fuel pump. If it only does it after you fuel up like mine does, it is evap purge valve in the engine bay. purge valve is only 40 bucks and has 2 bolts that hold it on. I will be trying that first to remedy my problem.

I would agree with the purge valve diagnoses except you said your truck exhibited these symptoms even when you didn't fill all the way up. The purge valve would probably only act up on a full tank. I have seen more than one fuel pump lock up with cold fuel. The only way to know for sure is to put gauge on it.

johnfist 10-19-2018 07:39 AM

I would agree. Why spend $40 if you can get a loaner tool to test it for free?

DieselBeast01 10-19-2018 04:00 PM

I will try to get my hands on a gauge. I found one thread where a guy was having the exact same issues as me, full tank or half or quarter, etc. and his was the purge valve. Like I said, I don't drive this truck much, so it may be next month before I experience this issue again when I put some gas in it.

ford390gashog 10-19-2018 04:07 PM

You guys keep saying to put a fuel pressure gauge on it? Where do you plan to attach that to? There isn't a test port on these, only way to read pressure is through the ECM.

DieselBeast01 10-19-2018 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 18258958)
You guys keep saying to put a fuel pressure gauge on it? Where do you plan to attach that to? There isn't a test port on these, only way to read pressure is through the ECM.

This is true. It didn't cross my mind that this truck won't have a test port until you just brought this up. I guess i'm just going to drop the 40 bucks on the purge valve and see if that works first.