Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Garage & Workshop (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum20/)
-   -   lexan versus tile ceiling for side yard garage/shed? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1558959-lexan-versus-tile-ceiling-for-side-yard-garage-shed.html)

eclectix 10-16-2018 07:12 PM

lexan versus tile ceiling for side yard garage/shed?

i am designing a side yard garage shed, about 10' wide x 40' long x 8' high.

A question i have is whether or not to use clear or translucent lexan for the roof. the presumed advantage is that it allows light to enter the windows of my living room, fwiw. the home was built in the mid 1970s and tends to be on the gloomy side interior-wise, so any window light helps. This is in Nor Cal where the max wind seems to be about 60 mph. OTOH, I am concerned that lexan might not be completely waterproof where it is fastened to wooden rafters with screws. So an alternative might be plywood, water resistant tarpaper, and tile which in theory could match the tile on my home if the rafters were made strong enough. Cost wise, both might be on the overkill side although of the two, lexan might be less so.

I have already taken to heart and implemented other advice on this forum which recommended keeping the floor as level as possible. This i have now done although it now necessitates a low concrete retaining wall since my home is on a slight incline.

right now i have a double car canopy with the fabric that lasts only a couple of years. (I am putting spare fabric on top of the original in an attempt to forestall major leaks.)

eventually the shed might house a restored 1966 bronco and/or other valuable vehicle.

thanks in advance for any constructive advice!

steve

-----

1968 ford f250 4x4 flatbed modified
1968 ford bronco wagon modified
1966 ford bronco roadster stock restoration project
2000 ford explorer 4x4 RIP

85e150 10-17-2018 10:28 PM

Rafters with a proper tile roof would be the first choice.

Lexan? Like so?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LEXAN-Th...MMBZ/205202489

My dad built a patio and pool house with this or similar stuff for roofing. Never leaked. The neoprene washer on the nail did the trick. You nail on the high ridge.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4424081234.htm

Easier than the lexan, and much easier and cheaper than the tile.

But the tile hands down has the advantage of durability and "value" in looks and for the long run.

ford390gashog 10-17-2018 10:53 PM

You said it was a side yard shed? What does that have to do with your living room? If you are going to do skylights I highly suggest not using lexan and doing a correct sunlight with proper flashing and framing. Look into the velux sun tunnel, what are you going to add for primary lighting?

85e150 10-17-2018 11:29 PM

A 400 square foot side yard shed..... I think OP might have windows opening into said shed?

eclectix 10-18-2018 09:51 AM

When I posted I had in mind clear corrugated lexan 8' sheets which I found on the shelf at home depot or lowe's. The flat bronzed lexan you reference is new to me (thanks).

I had forgotten about the neoprene washer on the nail on the high ridge trick. I think that is recommended for corrugated lexan, along with light colored wood rafters. Thanks for the info regarding how it works in practice.

A residual concern is how much damage could be done to an auto under a clear lexan or bronzed lexan roof. one of my autos is a 1966 bronco roadster which i have until now always kept under an opaque cover or roof. tarpaper or tile could be indicated if lexan or bronzed lexan is not sufficient protection against sunlight (maybe it might be best not to take chances).

my living room gets some morning sunlight from adjacent windows. i could never grow anything decent in the location since it never got sufficient sunlight, being in the shadow of my home in the afternoon.

eclectix 10-18-2018 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 18256142)
You said it was a side yard shed? What does that have to do with your living room? If you are going to do skylights I highly suggest not using lexan and doing a correct sunlight with proper flashing and framing. Look into the velux sun tunnel, what are you going to add for primary lighting?

no, not skylights. the living room window is double paned but would be on a shared wall with the shed once it is built.

eclectix 10-18-2018 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod (Post 18256189)
A 400 square foot side yard shed..... I think OP might have windows opening into said shed?

Other than the windows being double paned and permanently closed (milgard), yes. you are correct.

Aftrmidnite 01-23-2019 10:36 AM

I would put a Velux Roof window on the shed, that way you can open it to let the heat out, during the Summer. The Lexan Panels will yellow, turn brown and crack in a very short time. If you keep a good coat of paint on the Velux inside trim, expect 30 years out of them.