Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Is No Supplemental Cab Heater a deal breaker? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1558366-is-no-supplemental-cab-heater-a-deal-breaker.html)

agpopp 10-11-2018 10:31 AM

Is No Supplemental Cab Heater a deal breaker?

Sorry for cross post

I know this has probably been discussed, but I can't get anything to come up on search. I am moving from a v10 to possibly a 6.7 and have located a used 2016 truck that checks all of my boxes. However, after getting a look at the factory window sticker, it was ordered WITHOUT the aux cab heater (Texas truck) Living in the Northeast, and having owed a 24V cummins that made no heat until I was pulling in my driveway (8 mile commute) I'm looking for opinions on what to expect. Should I pass on this truck? Will it warm up on my commute?

PS, I'm also considering a new 6.2 gasser as opposed to a used diesel for the short commute reason. I do tow my 12,500 lb RV about 5K miles a year, putting on 10k a year average.

Thanks for any input, especially first hand.

Just Strokin 10-11-2018 11:35 AM

as I replied in the other forum

I live in the south where we have some cooler and cold temps. The supplemental heat is nice and yes, I would think for you it would be a deal breaker considering your winter temps.

ford390gashog 10-11-2018 11:42 AM

I honestly have yet to be impressed with the heater since it debuted in 2008. I generally get plenty of heat about 3 miles in when the weather is between 25 and 30 degrees. That's with no warm up just start and driving.

The Bone 10-11-2018 03:14 PM

A block heater would be a good investment. The dealer can install it for you . Would help with the truck warming up faster. My truck doesn't come off the C much in 8 miles. The block heater would help with that.

Dim Sum 10-11-2018 03:28 PM

8 mile commute with some highway....you may get some heat. If you plug it in, you'll get heat considerably faster.

I have a 25 mile commute and am very happy with the diesel, but I will say that if I had an 8 mile commute that I intended to use the truck for....I'd buy a 6.2L with the 4.30 gears. On top of that, the 2017+ truck is very much improved as well considering you live in the North East with salted roads.

I'd want the aluminum body, warm cab and emissions system that doesn't require any thought with an 8 mile commute. There are many times where I wished I could have test driven a 6.2 with 4.30s before I bought my truck.

agpopp 10-11-2018 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dim Sum (Post 18244530)
8 mile commute with some highway....you may get some heat. If you plug it in, you'll get heat considerably faster.

I have a 25 mile commute and am very happy with the diesel, but I will say that if I had an 8 mile commute that I intended to use the truck for....I'd buy a 6.2L with the 4.30 gears. On top of that, the 2017+ truck is very much improved as well considering you live in the North East with salted roads.

I'd want the aluminum body, warm cab and emissions system that doesn't require any thought with an 8 mile commute. There are many times where I wished I could have test driven a 6.2 with 4.30s before I bought my truck.

You're hitting a chord with what I'm thinking. The only reason to go diesel is the power gain. Specifically the last 350 miles to our house when we travel south is brutal through VA and WVA. Otherwise my v10 was awesome once we hit North Carolina. Even in the steepest hills it kept at 50 mph.

capt caper 10-11-2018 06:14 PM

Grab the 16... amazing truck.. I now have 107000 miles earned the hard way without any issues at all bumper to bumper.. I use the remote starter every day no matter what the weather and the heater starts up ok.

Dr Matt 10-12-2018 02:02 AM

It would be a deal breaker for me, but I live in Alaska and only have a 5 mile commute. Mine is only putting out good heat for the last mile and that is when night time temps are in th3 40’s. Temp is still not all the way to normal when I get to work.

Dim Sum 10-12-2018 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by agpopp (Post 18244610)
You're hitting a chord with what I'm thinking. The only reason to go diesel is the power gain. Specifically the last 350 miles to our house when we travel south is brutal through VA and WVA. Otherwise my v10 was awesome once we hit North Carolina. Even in the steepest hills it kept at 50 mph.

I wish I could tell you how well the 6.2 will do. JeepPuller has a 6.2 and lives in Pa, so he'd have a pretty good idea. I have the supplemental heater in my truck as well, but this is the first winter with my truck, so I can't give advice with that one. An 8 mile commute isn't enough to burn off the DPF either, but that is easily solved by taking the truck out once every 200ish miles for a highway run.

Painted Horse 10-12-2018 09:55 PM

This really depends on how you drive.
If you park in a garage, It's not a big deal.
If you park in a parking lot at work and want it warm on the drive home. Yes it's a big deal.

The supplemental heater is 1500 or 1800 watt element ( i forget which size it is) Basically it's a hair dryer.
It runs when your truck is cold and turns off as soon as your coolant hits 100°
Chances are it will change your Crew Cabs internal cab temps before your coolant comes up to 100°.

But what it will do, Is defrost your windshield a WHOLE lot faster than waiting for the engine to warm up.

Play ith your truck and see how fast you can get coolant from 30°F to 100°F I find almost ANY turbo action will heat the engine pretty quick.
If you idle out of the neighborhood at 1000 rpm with no turbo boost, It takes a long time to heat up your coolant.
If you can get a little turbo boost and higher combustion temps. The coolant heats up pretty fast. 5-6 bloocks

90pioneer 10-13-2018 12:38 PM

Bought my 2015 in Fairbanks, Alaska and it was ordered without the cab heater :-arrgh but as it turns out its really been a non issue.

just remote start for a few minutes. Truck will put out decent heat when the oil temp reaches 100* which only takes a couple miles.

capt caper 10-13-2018 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by 90pioneer (Post 18247572)
Bought my 2015 in Fairbanks, Alaska and it was ordered without the cab heater :-arrgh but as it turns out its really been a non issue.

just remote start for a few minutes. Truck will put out decent heat when the oil temp reaches 100* which only takes a couple miles.

Were have I heard of this before..Ha.

cangim 10-14-2018 01:44 PM

It would be a deal breaker for me, I have a 8 mile commute as well, all 45 or under driving, I plugin and have a blanket on the grill, sure is nice to not be cold...

my_crib_too 10-14-2018 05:13 PM

I had one on my 2011 and don't have one on my 2015. Not a major issue for me. I live in WI where there is actual cold.

Bruce

agpopp 10-16-2018 07:02 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. I did purchase the truck.