Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   LED conversion question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1558319-led-conversion-question.html)

PatsfanTN 10-10-2018 07:22 PM

LED conversion question

Hi all, new to the forum, hope this isnt a stupid question

Just bought a basically new 17 f250 Lariat. I am coming from a 16 F150 Lariat. My f150 had Led headlights but came with halogen fogs ( looked horrible ). I found and ordered some LED replacements for the fogs that matched the headlights. Plug and play, no problems looked great.

so this truck, the 17 f250 is halogen all the way around. I’m seeing all sorts of conversion and mods , wiring splicing, etc to convert the halogens to LEDs. Why is this so different than what I did with my f150s fog lights? Why all the need for kits and splicing wires?

The 3k price I’m seeing for OEM LEDs is absurd to me. I really miss the look of those LEDs, what’s the cheapest best way to do this?

mhoefer 10-10-2018 07:30 PM

There is no cheap way, there are alternatives like Morimoto. There is a good thread on here to convert to full LEd headlights and tails but the price is high versus just ordering on the truck. Personally, I like my LEds so much I would recommend the Ford parts over anything else. Your also going to need Forscan to adjust the settings in the BCM to recognize the different lights.

PatsfanTN 10-10-2018 07:49 PM

Ugh, that’s what I was afraid of. Thanks for the reply!

troverman 10-10-2018 08:07 PM

The LED fog lights on the Super Duty are also plug and play. The headlights and taillights use different electrical connector plugs for halogen vs LED, which is why the splicing occurs. Converting an F150 would be the same.

mhoefer 10-10-2018 08:22 PM

And the reason you need Forscan is because the LEDs use less power and have far lower resistance so the control circuits require different BCM settings. Any after market systems using LEDs must use circuitry fixes to address these issues such as resisters. This is why there are radio noise issues and other control circuit issues. Cheaper aftermarket not the way to go. There are some threads where aftermarket H13 LED bulbs can be used but you need 4 of them in the headlights and because the projector isn’t designed for it light apscatter and poor cutoffs will babe issues. Some of the better lights can be clocked and spaligned but still, the reflectors are not ideal or certified for on road use.

PatsfanTN 10-10-2018 09:25 PM

Thanks guys, looks like I’m staying halogen for a bit. Sigh.....

Poncho450 10-11-2018 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by PatsfanTN (Post 18242936)
Ugh, that’s what I was afraid of. Thanks for the reply!

There is a lower cost way that many of us on the forum have done. Many of us have gone to Beamtech LED replacement headlight bulbs. Good results and all 4 bulbs for around $80.
I've had mine in since around Christmas 2017. No issues. I've been flashed by others at most 3 times in all these months. If there's a problem with that issue the lights can be adjusted downward a bit. I've also used Alla and Beamtech in the fogs so that I didn't have LED headlights and yellowish halogen fogs. So far, so good.
I've also used various other brands in other spots and converted every light on the truck to LED. FORScan adjustments did have to be made when the turn signals were installed. From the exterior they flashed at a normal rate but the cluster indicator showed a hyperflash.

PatsfanTN 10-11-2018 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Poncho450 (Post 18243450)
There is a lower cost way that many of us on the forum have done. Many of us have gone to Beamtech LED replacement headlight bulbs. Good results and all 4 bulbs for around $80.
I've had mine in since around Christmas 2017. No issues. I've been flashed by others at most 3 times in all these months. If there's a problem with that issue the lights can be adjusted downward a bit. I've also used Alla and Beamtech in the fogs so that I didn't have LED headlights and yellowish halogen fogs. So far, so good.
I've also used various other brands in other spots and converted every light on the truck to LED. FORScan adjustments did have to be made when the turn signals were installed. From the exterior they flashed at a normal rate but the cluster indicator showed a hyperflash.

https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Head...amtech+h13+led

so no wire splicing or modifications when you installed them?

Poncho450 10-11-2018 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by PatsfanTN (Post 18243464)

so no wire splicing or modifications when you installed them?

Remove old bulbs, plug in new. They aren't the easiest to get at. Some have removed the grille, some of us did not. On my 2017 gasser I removed the filler neck to the washer tank on the driver side to access. Passenger side I managed to get my hand in enough to access.
Be sure to face the LED chips in the bulb to the 3 and 9 o'clock positions for correct orientation.

PatsfanTN 10-11-2018 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Poncho450 (Post 18243545)
Remove old bulbs, plug in new. They aren't the easiest to get at. Some have removed the grille, some of us did not. On my 2017 gasser I removed the filler neck to the washer tank on the driver side to access. Passenger side I managed to get my hand in enough to access.
Be sure to face the LED chips in the bulb to the 3 and 9 o'clock positions for correct orientation.

Awesome! I’ll give it a try, thanks!

GABAR 10-11-2018 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by PatsfanTN (Post 18242882)
Hi all, new to the forum, hope this isnt a stupid question

Just bought a basically new 17 f250 Lariat. I am coming from a 16 F150 Lariat. My f150 had Led headlights but came with halogen fogs ( looked horrible ). I found and ordered some LED replacements for the fogs that matched the headlights. Plug and play, no problems looked great.

so this truck, the 17 f250 is halogen all the way around. I’m seeing all sorts of conversion and mods , wiring splicing, etc to convert the halogens to LEDs. Why is this so different than what I did with my f150s fog lights? Why all the need for kits and splicing wires?

The 3k price I’m seeing for OEM LEDs is absurd to me. I really miss the look of those LEDs, what’s the cheapest best way to do this?

It`s hard to beat the OEM LED headlights but I can see how the cost would scare you away but as you have read, there are other options. Also as troverman said, THE OEM SD LED fog lights are a direct replacement for the halogen fog lights so that would be my first choice and the Morimoto XB`s would be my second choice.

Good luck to you.

brainofjjj 10-11-2018 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Poncho450 (Post 18243450)

https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Headlight-8000Lumens-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B06XHCQ8KY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539256623&sr=8-3&keywords=beamtech+h13+led

I'm seconding Poncho's recommendation. I just installed the 6 Beamtech lights this weekend by removing the grill. Whole process took 30 mins and i was moving slow. I can do it again in 15, easy. Orient them properly and you should be ok. Once i level my truck i'm going to need to align them since they shine a tad high right not anyway.

Oh and i almost bought the expensive bulbs from one of the vendors and i'm glad i didn't spend $300 on bulbs when these work great.

Poncho450 10-11-2018 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by GABAR (Post 18243654)
It`s hard to beat the OEM LED headlights but I can see how the cost would scare you away but as you have read, there are other options. Also as troverman said, THE OEM SD LED fog lights are a direct replacement for the halogen fog lights so that would be my first choice and the Morimoto XB`s would be my second choice.

Good luck to you.

I think if I were ever to order a truck again and if the [ ] type lights were a feature, I'd seriously consider OEM.
But for this go round, they weren't on the truck as it sat on the lot so I thought I'd try the Beamtech when I saw them on Amazon. For the money I'm happy with them. It also allowed me to spend money on other things for the truck.

troverman 10-11-2018 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mhoefer (Post 18242989)
And the reason you need Forscan is because the LEDs use less power and have far lower resistance so the control circuits require different BCM settings. Any after market systems using LEDs must use circuitry fixes to address these issues such as resisters. This is why there are radio noise issues and other control circuit issues. Cheaper aftermarket not the way to go. There are some threads where aftermarket H13 LED bulbs can be used but you need 4 of them in the headlights and because the projector isn’t designed for it light apscatter and poor cutoffs will babe issues. Some of the better lights can be clocked and spaligned but still, the reflectors are not ideal or certified for on road use.

Actually, the OEM lights *work* after completing the splicing but not properly. When I finished my conversion, it was midnight and I needed to drive home from the shop. I turned on the headlights without touching FORScan and I had low beams...so I drove home. You will get a "fast flash" of the green dashboard turn signal indicators, but your new LED turn signals will be blinking outside at the normal speed. FORScan fixes this issue. You will also get some flicker coming from the headlights. Using FORScan to switch to Linear Power solves this. The C-Clamp DRL LEDs will operate only in night mode (50% brightness) until you wire the new BCM pins and use FORScan to activate those pins.

The bottom line is you cannot beat the OEM lights for appearance or performance or quality. But unfortunately, they cost a lot of money.

wheresjames 10-11-2018 11:22 AM

I believe Anzo makes a pnp LED after market headlight assembly.