Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   starter solenoid sticking (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1558173-starter-solenoid-sticking.html)

jniolon 10-09-2018 12:23 PM

starter solenoid sticking

got her down off the jackstands, where she's been sitting for months and months... gas in the tank ...little gas in the carb and fired it up.. started right up but found I need to adjust carb floats (Quick Fuel 650)...little bit of over flow thru vent tubes.. so I shut it down...

Next try the starter solenoid stayed latched in . Luckily it didn't fire off.. killed the switch and it still turned engine.... slid under it and banged on the solenoid and it released.... Now my question is... what makes a solenoid stick ??? never had one do that. It's a new one so it should be good, right ???

yea, I know... little help ???

joihn

1954wrecker 10-09-2018 01:54 PM

Are you sure it was not your starter button that was stuck?

jniolon 10-09-2018 02:07 PM

dont think so... no separate starter button... starter solenoid is straight off the ignition switch. Cut off the switch and even removed the key and it still cranked... slid under it and hit the solenoid case with a wrench and it clicked off... seems like it's a common problem

looking for a better hi-amp solenoid now...,

john

F250Rob 10-09-2018 02:25 PM

I had a brand new Motorcraft solenoid stick about two months after installation on a Mustang. Fried the starter and the battery cables. I have a separate battery disconnect switch on the positive cable now. Can’t tell you why they stick. Had a voltage reg stick on my truck after shutdown and it fried the generator. Now the truck has a battery disconnect too!

Mixer man 10-09-2018 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by jniolon (Post 18240491)
dont think so... no separate starter button... starter solenoid is straight off the ignition switch. Cut off the switch and even removed the key and it still cranked... slid under it and hit the solenoid case with a wrench and it clicked off... seems like it's a common problem

looking for a better hi-amp solenoid now...,

john

This is what I use. Swear by them.
Standard High Current Relays - Littelfuse

bhalemail 10-09-2018 07:49 PM

I've bought no less than 3of repopulated 6v and everyone of them stick. Cleaned up the original and put it in, no problems now.

bobbytnm 10-09-2018 08:01 PM

John,
I take it this is the style of starter with the solenoid mounted on it? Is this a new or old starter?
It could be either a mechanical issue or an electrical issue. Mechanically, if its an older used starter with the solenoid mounted on it, the plunger can hang up inside the solenoid. Typically when these stick its the opposite situation where the starter won't work until you smack it with a hammer. The plungers are supposed to be able to freely rotate inside the solenoid, if they get where they don't rotate they can get a wear mark in the barrel of the plunger which can cause the stickage.. That or the pivot between the solenoid plunger and the starter gear might be hanging up.
I guess there could also be the case where the contact disc inside the electrical end of the solenoid could stick to the contacts keeping things engaged.

You might make sure that electrically, your ignition switch is only supplying a positive signal to the starter in the Start position.

Good luck
Bobby

ford390gashog 10-09-2018 08:11 PM

All the current reproduction solenoids use copper coated steel contacts and easily arc out under low voltage high amperage situations. The above poster linked to heavy duty alternatives and while expensive they are worth it. Those are the style still used in golf carts and off highway equipment and have a much higher rated duty and cycle time.

jniolon 10-09-2018 09:50 PM

Bobby it's a new starter and a separate "Ford" style relay (also new) but I'm thinking it's a low amperage japan look alike... ordered a 200 amp continuious duty one today , like Tom suggested... I should get it
]Friday and go from there

thanks all for the advise and commiserations

john

CharlieLed 10-10-2018 11:46 AM

Modern starters (those with integrated solenoids) do not need the external OEM Ford relay. In fact, if you run an external relay you are adding a delay into the circuit that makes the release of the starter Bendix out of sync with the release of the ignition key in start mode. In my experience, hanging starters are a result of poorly aligned Bendix gears and not a solenoid problem. Good luck, either way your new starter should correct the problem. I am running an MSD starter on my 351 and like it a lot.