Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   Stumpt: Turn Signal (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1557870-stumpt-turn-signal.html)

daveengelson 10-06-2018 06:45 PM

Stumpt: Turn Signal

CC with the turn signal circuit on the sweeping speedo? .

Bookmarked the standard cab turn-signal circuit and have a copy of the 65 Ford truck wiring manual neither of which show the CC circuit where the instrument panel flasher operates both the left and right. Currently both tail light turn signals are working fine; however, with regards to the fronts I only have 1 front turn signal that flashes for both right and left. Believe it may have something to do with the 'pig tail' that ties both turn signals to the signal instrument light.

I may have narrowed the problem down to the 'pig tail' currently tried connecting the single wire from the bulb then splice both the left (green/white) and the right (blu/white) to this single wire from the dash with no favorable results.

Comments/suggestions appreciated!!

65navyf100 10-06-2018 08:39 PM

Unsure what you mean by "CC". If you are having troubles with the front signals and not the aft ones it could be something in the dash, the aft tun signals do not go through the 6 pin pigtail that you're referring too. I am also confused on the "single" wire you're spicing with the left and right turn signal indicator bulbs. The white-blue and green-white split on the female side of the 6 pin and go to the indicators and to the front turn signals. If you unplug the front turn signals you should be able to perform a continuity test to ground on the white blue, and then the green-white to see of you have a path for electricity through the turn signal indicator bulbs/wires.

I'm interested to hear more about your issue. The wiring diagram is attached below for everyone's viewing.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...8e75386765.jpg

daveengelson 10-07-2018 05:54 AM

Sorry for not explaining issue clearly, CC is in reference to Custom Cab where the instrument cluster is of the sweeping speedometer type and has 1 turn signal indicator light for both left and right turn signals. Believe there's a harness, or splice, that ties the single turn signal indicator light to each of the turn signals. The dash wiring is a total mess but feel fortunate I have been able to narrow the problem down to this one circuit. Some time this a.m. intend check to determine if the faulty turn signal is grounding out the circuit, or possibly there is an issue with the 6 pin connector. Anyhow, intend spending the morning tracing the electrical gremlin which is holding me up in reassembling the dash and getting the beast on the road.

Greatly appreciate your input, I thank you!!.

Jeff64F100CrewCab 10-07-2018 08:59 PM

I traced a fault in the right front turn signal in my '64 to an open wire within the harness within the steering column. Inaccessible to fix or bypass.

Jeff '64 F100 CrewCab

daveengelson 10-08-2018 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff64F100CrewCab (Post 18237235)
I traced a fault in the right front turn signal in my '64 to an open wire within the harness within the steering column. Inaccessible to fix or bypass.

Jeff '64 F100 CrewCab

Preface by stating not familiar with the 64 turn signal components, if similar to the 65/66 I believe it can be done w/out removing the column, would require removing horn ring/button, steering wheel, collar, and turn signal switch from the collar and isolate the single grounded wire. There is a tool for removing the pin at the connector, make sure to note position of the wire color code at the connector. Unless the turn signal switch is in very good condition, no other bare wires and the ears on the turn signal cancel switch are not worn however, at this point not that much more involved to replace the switch for $30. The switch should have the pins attached suggest removing the original pins from the connector as opposed to cut and splice. There is a tool for removing the pins but I have used tweezers and a mini screw driver. If decide to replace the switch suggest use a wire to snake the new wires thru the column.

Interested in other member's comments and/or suggestions!

Inline66 10-09-2018 03:43 AM

I made a tool for removing those turn signal wires by drilling a hole the diameter of the pin into to end of a bolt, then grinding around the circumference to make it thinner. Pressing the tool down onto the pin folds in the little barbs, and it can then be pulled out from the other side.

daveengelson 10-11-2018 07:37 PM

Still can not figure out the problem with the rt/left turn signal circuit. One minute hi-5'ing when I have both turn signals and single indicator bulb working correctly but find that as soon as I install the instrument panel they no longer work independently but rather both flashing at the same time? Looking at the diagram for the standard cab turn signal circuit by 65navyf100 in post #2 where the single wire runs from the 6 pin connector with the blu/white wire running to the left turn signal and the grn/white wire running the the driver's side turn signal but what I am having a problem with is coming up with a splice where both right/left turn signal work independently and to the single indicator bulb/light?

My last attempt will be to try and remove the pins from the 6 pin connector at the steering column. I came up with a tool that works in removing the male pins from the connector but I do not have a clue as to how to go about removing the female pins from the the connector and appreciated any comments/suggestions on how to go about it.

Thank you, dave!

65navyf100 10-11-2018 09:29 PM

I'll be the first to say that I have no idea how the original system worked, and I'm still alittle confused about the one indicator thing, but if I was going to light a bulb with two independent supplies I'd put a diode in line with the white blue and green white splices and splice that into one wire going to the bulb. That will keep them from "back feeding" each other. Pictured below (pardon my crude drawing):
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...7c5d824a18.jpg
Both the Left and Right turn signal wires feed into the one indicator light, they are "protected" from each other with the diodes.

If you don't understand what a diode is or what the heck I'm talking about I'll build one and mail it to you. If I'm super off base with what you need please disregard.

daveengelson 10-11-2018 11:41 PM

John, I thank you for the input. For info purposes posting pic of the CC instrument cluster. Above the 90 mark there's a green indicator light for both turn signals. There is another red indicator light approx. at the 10 mark for the low/hi beams.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...496df1032e.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...8b42f2d81b.jpg

I am going to attempt to remove the female pins from the 6 pin connector and look for faulty or frayed wires. I believe there is a harness for CC turn signal but over the years I made up a 'jump' or tie to connect the circuit that worked fine. I have had the truck stored for several years setting in the elements and consequently all the field critters made a nest out of the wiring but believe have all sorted except for the single harness.

If not, I came across the item below, the fuse block calls for a 14 amp fuse may solve the problem if U don't think it would work let me know.
Again, I thank you!!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...d0b62d83cd.jpg

F10N 10-12-2018 07:09 AM

If the wiring dia. above is for both types of gauge panels, then numbers 49 and 50 are the panels turn signal indicators, correct? So that would mean that what you are saying is one is turn and the other is hi beam would be incorrect? I don't have that panel in front of me, but I've not seen where just one indicator light is used for both signals....Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jolly Roger Joe 10-12-2018 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by F10N (Post 18245472)
If the wiring dia. above is for both types of gauge panels, then numbers 49 and 50 are the panels turn signal indicators, correct? So that would mean that what you are saying is one is turn and the other is hi beam would be incorrect? I don't have that panel in front of me, but I've not seen where just one indicator light is used for both signals....Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Custom Cab sweep dash uses only one indicator for turn signals. It is shown in the wiring diagram in the attached link, as are the dual indicators for the round dash..

http://www.fordification.info/tech/i...ringMaster.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...b8578b88c5.jpg

F10N 10-12-2018 08:01 AM

Thanks Jolly, odd isn't it!

Jolly Roger Joe 10-12-2018 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by F10N (Post 18245538)
Thanks Jolly, odd isn't it!

Yes it is strange, but I am familiar with this circuit because I have a problem with my Custom Cab indicators as I have the round (standard cab) dash. All my external signal lights work correctly. But in my dash, when I am turning left, only the left dash indicator blinks, as it should. When turning right, both dash indicators blink. When using the emergency flasher, the emergency flasher light and only the right indicator blinks. Once again, all external lights work properly. I haven't figured this out yet.

daveengelson 10-12-2018 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by F10N (Post 18245472)

No, the hi/low beam is totally different circuit.

The #49 and #50 are the turn signal circuits for a standard round speedometer instrument panel where there's a separate indicator light for each turn signal; whereas, I believe there is a harness that joins #49 and #50 and narrows down to a single wire to the green indicator light on the right hand side of the sweeping speedometer. I am incline to believe a wire in the turn signal circuit it faulty and causing the problem and if I do not sort out the issue today I will either take John's suggestion and purchase a diode and see if it solves the problem or eliminate 1 of the turn signal circuits?

Jolly Roger Joe 10-12-2018 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by daveengelson (Post 18245772)
No, the hi/low beam is totally different circuit.

The #49 and #50 are the turn signal circuits for a standard round speedometer instrument panel where there's a separate indicator light for each turn signal; whereas, I believe there is a harness that joins #49 and #50 and narrows down to a single wire to the green indicator light on the right hand side of the sweeping speedometer. I am incline to believe a wire in the turn signal circuit it faulty and causing the problem and if I do not sort out the issue today I will either take John's suggestion and purchase a diode and see if it solves the problem or eliminate 1 of the turn signal circuits?

If you'll look at the diagram I showed in post #11 above, you'll see how the single indicator works with no need for a diode or anything else.

The power wires (49 & 50) which run to individual lights in a round (standard cab) dash are BOTH connected to the single light in the Custom Cab sweep dash. That bulb gets its ground through the frame, just like the individual lamps do. So if power is applied to the wire for the right blinker, the single lamp blinks, and if it is applied for the other blinker, that same lamp blinks. It's not rocket science.

On a standard cab with two lamps, the same principle is applied, but the hot wires go to separate bulbs.