Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Spark plugs ejected from cylinderhead (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1556353-spark-plugs-ejected-from-cylinderhead.html)

Smully00 09-23-2018 04:39 PM

Spark plugs ejected from cylinderhead

I recently purchased a used ‘06 f150 with 119k on it drove it home and to work the next day about 50 miles total and the number 7 plug was ejected out of the head . I heard there is design problem with heads on certain year trucks and suv’s . My question is has anybody had good luck in repairing the damaged thread with a high quality insert kit? What are the pros and cons? What are thing to look for? I guess that’s three question 🤨 any info is much appreciated.

thanks
1971 Ford Ranger xlt 360 fe
2006 ford xl 5.4 liter

steve(ill) 09-23-2018 08:06 PM

the original motor in 1998-2000 had less threads in the plug hole and had some ejection problems.. Normally that was thought to be fixed well before your motor was built......... Could be the plug was overtightened, or cross threaded...... Yes, there are kits to thread oversize and install an insert.. You will want to use one of the approved kits, not just a standard thread insert repair.

redfishtd 09-23-2018 08:12 PM

This is not normal for these heads

Earlier models had too few threads not so on these . Do not use a helicoil to repair . Time sert is the gold standard . You may have to pay a shop to do that . Plugs need to be torqued 25 to 28 foot pounds on these . Otherwise you will have blow by problems etc . Somebody did a poor job on those plugs. If you bought it at a lot go back and see if they will help .

1saxman 09-23-2018 08:23 PM

Are you certain the threads are stripped? They do just back out you know.

alloro 09-24-2018 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Smully00 (Post 18210741)
I recently purchased a used ‘06 f150 with 119k on it drove it home and to work the next day about 50 miles total and the number 7 plug was ejected out of the head.

Seems awfully coincidental that it blows out right after you buy it. I'd examine the spark plug hole carefully for signs of something like JB Weld to see if a quick fix was done just to be able to sell it. If there is you might have grounds to recoup the cost of the repair from the one you bought it from.

1saxman 09-24-2018 06:12 PM

'Seems awfully coincidental that it blows out right after you buy it.'

Yes it does. Definitely some foul play here.

Smully00 09-24-2018 06:38 PM

I definitely feel the lot where I purchased the truck knew about the bad cylinder/ plug and just passed it on to me. Nothing to be done with them they won’t even return a phone call. I’ll get the truck back from a local dealer her in Sacramento and start my own investigation with a bore scope. I’ll keep you posted on what I find . Thanks to all for your input👍

Rumble phish 09-25-2018 08:56 AM

Yeah, good luck with that

Originally Posted by alloro (Post 18211989)
Seems awfully coincidental that it blows out right after you buy it. I'd examine the spark plug hole carefully for signs of something like JB Weld to see if a quick fix was done just to be able to sell it. If there is you might have grounds to recoup the cost of the repair from the one you bought it from.

Does the term "caveat emptor" mean anything to you? Purchasing a used vehicle is a crap shoot. Unless there was a warranty stated and agreed to IN WRITING, you're pretty much on your own. As a buyer you must do your due diligence, and even then you probably won't catch everything. The selling party has no legal obligation to disclose anything, short of safety issues. And even then they can simply claim ignorance of the issue. Anything you might get out of them would br more than offset by legal cost and time lost.

Just check the truck over with a fine tooth comb, correct/fix anything that needs to be done and chalk it up to experience .

alloro 09-25-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rumble phish (Post 18213757)
The selling party has no legal obligation to disclose anything

Depends on the state, some offer private party sale protections and some don't. Many states do have laws protecting used car sales from dealers for 30 days.

Smully00 09-26-2018 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rumble phish (Post 18213757)
Does the term "caveat emptor" mean anything to you? Purchasing a used vehicle is a crap shoot. Unless there was a warranty stated and agreed to IN WRITING, you're pretty much on your own. As a buyer you must do your due diligence, and even then you probably won't catch everything. The selling party has no legal obligation to disclose anything, short of safety issues. And even then they can simply claim ignorance of the issue. Anything you might get out of them would br more than offset by legal cost and time lost.

Just check the truck over with a fine tooth comb, correct/fix anything that needs to be done and chalk it up to experience .

You’re absolutely correct! It’s my fault. Should have not been so trusting. Lesson learned . I get it back today then break out that perverbale fine tooth comb👍

Rumble phish 09-26-2018 10:27 AM

Well, if it makes you feel any better...

Originally Posted by Smully00 (Post 18215613)

You’re absolutely correct! It’s my fault. Should have not been so trusting. Lesson learned . I get it back today then break out that perverbale fine tooth comb👍

I got suckered even worse :( Bought an '04 F150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.4L 3v. Knew up front that it needed some timing work. Did my due diligence by running a CarFax, taking it for test drive, looking it over top to bottom (as best I could). Bought, brought it home and the engine starting to sound like a Peterbuilt truck and it was shaking my teeth out. Figured I'd buy the parts, take it to my mechanic and get it fixed. Well, my mechanic called last night and said "Let's put a new motor in it". My heart sank. Turns out it's not even the original engine. Once he got it apart there was evidence of a swap and the motor is stuffed full of sludge. Cams are boogered, valley is full of coolant, just a mess. I've purchased many used vehicles in my life. At 48 years old I've only purchased two new cars, and I take pride in the fact that I know what to look for. But even the moist jaded of us can be fooled by clean packaging and "off record" repairs.

Like I said, it's a crap shoot. And this time, I rolled snake eyes.

Smully00 09-28-2018 07:23 AM

WOW!! that horrible...

Originally Posted by Rumble phish (Post 18216015)
I got suckered even worse :( Bought an '04 F150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.4L 3v. Knew up front that it needed some timing work. Did my due diligence by running a CarFax, taking it for test drive, looking it over top to bottom (as best I could). Bought, brought it home and the engine starting to sound like a Peterbuilt truck and it was shaking my teeth out. Figured I'd buy the parts, take it to my mechanic and get it fixed. Well, my mechanic called last night and said "Let's put a new motor in it". My heart sank. Turns out it's not even the original engine. Once he got it apart there was evidence of a swap and the motor is stuffed full of sludge. Cams are boogered, valley is full of coolant, just a mess. I've purchased many used vehicles in my life. At 48 years old I've only purchased two new cars, and I take pride in the fact that I know what to look for. But even the moist jaded of us can be fooled by clean packaging and "off record" repairs.

Like I said, it's a crap shoot. And this time, I rolled snake eyes.

I feel for you friend. I too was fools by the Carfax.
My truck is one owner government owned truck 119 k with all service done at scheduled mileage. Everything super clean inside and out. The kind of truck that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The last service was plug change at 100k and that’s where it all went down hill. Did some research on the the shop that did the work turns out they have a terrible report of doing sub par work .So there’s a big lesson to be learned here . Carfax can be very misleading 👎

redfishtd 09-28-2018 08:38 AM

Have you checked the threads ,if not torqued to 25 to 28 foot pounds they can back out. Lots of complaints about gas smell in cab ,frequently loose plugs ,it will actually burn the the plug up due to the hot gases being pushed and pulled beside the electrode. A good shop can do a time sert on those threads .They even fix heads off the engine with time serts --no helicoils they don't stay. It uses a special tool thats quite expensive . I would try a new plug first and see if it torques down ,clean it out with carb cleaner . Maybe look at it with borescope or those small cameras for your smart phone that are cheap on amazon , I just got one .

Bocomo 09-29-2018 08:49 AM

My 06 had plugs replaced by the dealer at about 100,000 miles. After about 10,000 miles starting having misfire issues. My mechanic eventually found three or four spark plugs that were either loose or showed signs of carbon trails on the boots. He went and check all 8 plugs and has been running fine since then. I feel the dealership didn't do a very good job. Good luck with your truck.

Smully00 10-07-2018 03:30 PM

Insert or no insert?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...3f39e53ce.jpeg
What do you guys think?