Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum287/)
-   -   Please help! Fifth wheel hitch question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1556275-please-help-fifth-wheel-hitch-question.html)

Rtr2017! 09-22-2018 08:10 PM

Please help! Fifth wheel hitch question

Im considering making offer on a fifth wheel camper. The seller said that I could have the fifth wheel for his asking price.
i have a 19’ F350 6 3/4 bed with the OEM fifth wheel prep package with the pucks. This is a picture of his hitch, on an 11’ F250. I don’t know anything about fifth wheel hitches, just trying to learn from the experts-you. Please advise.....would this fit???
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...8c96af8ba.jpeg

Army RET 09-22-2018 09:38 PM

That hitch is physically attached to the truck bed (both topside and bottom side) using those rails - it does not directly attach to your puck system. The cost to install it is likely > $200.
Also, as it does not offer a slide mechanism it'd be (arguably) less suited for use on your short bed.

Army RET 09-22-2018 09:56 PM

New message: because this doesn't directly pertain to your question - but as you've already got the puck system you might as well purchase a hitch that directly drops in (simpler in/out = no installation fees).

Do make sure the head swivels in both orientations (side-side, front-rear) and is capable of supporting your 5vr weights; while not an absolute requirement a sliding system may be beneficial.

Now my biases: if you accept that you will purchase a new hitch - I recently switched over from a typical hitch to the Anderson Ultimate Hitch; I find its benefits greatly outweigh the typical hitch.
YMMV.

Army RET 09-22-2018 10:13 PM

Lastly, this is a Ford site.
Without pics of your new tow vehicle (and a signature line) I'm calling BS.

kgburns 09-23-2018 04:32 AM

As said above, the hitch can be installed in your truck, but as also stated above, there are a few reasons why you probably wouldn't like it.

You'll probably not like having the rails above the bed, with the puck system, you'd have a nice clean bed when the hitch is removed.

With the short bed, you may want to strongly consider a sliding hitch for maneuvering in tight places. There's been a lot of truck cabs and rear windows damaged with short bed trucks fitted with fixed hitches during tight turns. If you do get a sliding hitch, then you've got to decide if you want a manual slider or an automatic slider - manual sliders are generally cheaper than automatic, but you have to decide if the cost overrides the convenience

If the pictured hitch is free with the 5th wheel, throw it up on Craigslist and sell it. In this area you'd get between $175 - $250 for it. That would help some on the cost of a new hitch.

Seriously - get a hitch that fits your puck system

Good luck.

rvpuller 09-23-2018 07:49 AM

That looks like a Reese hitch, you can buy a adapter that will mount it to your puck system but don't buy it from Resse check Amazon and eBay.
Google. Resse puck adapter Ford.
Denny

kgburns 09-23-2018 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by rvpuller (Post 18210023)
That looks like a Reese hitch, you can buy a adapter that will mount it to your puck system but don't buy it from Resse check Amazon and eBay.
Google. Resse puck adapter Ford.
Denny

I first thought of that way to go, but he still wouldn't have a slider function. And I know he may not need it, but why go to the expense of buying the adapter then finding out later that he needs a slider?

BPofMD 09-23-2018 11:54 AM

You "could" use your existing rails, but will need to drill new mounting holes in the new truck bed. As said above, I would sell your present system and install a new one utilizing (in my opinion) a steel Andersen Ultimate system. It will eliminate the need for a sliding hitch, is light to move in/out and is inexpensive comparatively. ( https://andersenhitches.com/catalog/...onnection.aspx )

HRTKD 09-23-2018 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Army RET (Post 18209780)
Lastly, this is a Ford site.
Without pics of your new tow vehicle (and a signature line) I'm calling BS.

Tough crowd. :D

I would do as kgburns said, take the seller's hitch, post it for sale and get an Andersen Ultimate.

Army RET 09-24-2018 07:23 AM

There are numerous UNSOLD hitches on my craigslist; with that in mind I'd decline his offer and ask him to lower the price of his unit.
Let him find a buyer for it.

rvpuller 09-24-2018 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rtr2017! (Post 18209441)
Im considering making offer on a fifth wheel camper. The seller said that I could have the fifth wheel for his asking price.
i have a 19’ F350 6 3/4 bed with the OEM fifth wheel prep package with the pucks. This is a picture of his hitch, on an 11’ F250. I don’t know anything about fifth wheel hitches, just trying to learn from the experts-you. Please advise.....would this fit???

What style of king pin does the trailer have on it, if it has a extended king pin or dished out corners on the front cap. If it has either one you may not need a slider hitch. There are a lot of trailers out there that are designed with short box trucks in mind.
Denny

ssunit1 09-24-2018 08:48 PM

I had a slider rail mount, like the one in your picture, in my SB F250. It was a Reese 20k lb rated. My Coachman has a rounded nose, which most, maybe all, now have. Never used the slider function with no issues, not even close.
My F350 has the OEM prep package like yours. I got the Anderson Ultimate Hitch goose ball mount and love it. Aside from a smoother ride, my back leg likes the MUCH lighter weight. EZ in, EZ out.

Edd505 09-25-2018 06:14 PM

With the new truck I would look into the B&W Companion Hitch. It is by far the easiest to unhitch I have used. I have had a Reese like that pictured, A 26K Husky rail mount, and bought the B&W when I up graded to a newer truck. The puck system works amazing, zero slop in the rails so no banging or clunking.

P.Bronner 09-25-2018 09:33 PM

I second the B&W Companion, puck version. As mentioned above, if the trailer has a radiused nose and an extended pin box, you most likely won't need a slider. If you feel you do, B&W makes that too. Their products are somewhat heavy and rather expensive, but very well made and made in America. I have a Companion in my '11 F350 and it's rock solid.

rvpuller 09-25-2018 10:00 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...83419a5fa7.jpg
I would have a B&W now but with my toolbox arrangement wouldn't let the handle go forward so I rebuilt the head on my 20K Resse when I bought my 2013.
Denny