Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Something new(ish) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1555922-something-new-ish.html)

500k96F150 09-19-2018 05:41 PM

Something new(ish)

Im looking for an upgrade for my work truck. Im still keeping the old 96 but want something with some modern ammenities. Im looking at probably '10 and newer and was hoping the folks at the best forum around could point me in the right direction as far as hauling power and reliability. Im not partial to gas or diesel just whatever truck is best and will last as long as the old 4.9 I6

Robbgt 09-20-2018 06:44 AM

That I6 was damn near bulletproof. As far as hauling power/reliability, what kind of payload and towing numbers are you looking for?

If I was planning to own something as long as you owned your last truck - I'd be looking at the base V6. Don't hear of many issues at all with that engine and it will have more power, torque and efficiency than your outgoing 4.9. That engine will limit trims to the XL, STX and XLT I believe. Even those have many more creature comforts than the older trucks did.

If you have higher payload/towing - might be looking at an 3.5L ecoboost or 5.0 V8. The EB will pull like a diesel and has a nice flat torque curve. the 5.0 needs to rev a bit more to make power. Both of those engines have their quirks.

500k96F150 09-20-2018 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Robbgt (Post 18204742)
That I6 was damn near bulletproof. As far as hauling power/reliability, what kind of payload and towing numbers are you looking for?

If I was planning to own something as long as you owned your last truck - I'd be looking at the base V6. Don't hear of many issues at all with that engine and it will have more power, torque and efficiency than your outgoing 4.9. That engine will limit trims to the XL, STX and XLT I believe. Even those have many more creature comforts than the older trucks did.

If you have higher payload/towing - might be looking at an 3.5L ecoboost or 5.0 V8. The EB will pull like a diesel and has a nice flat torque curve. the 5.0 needs to rev a bit more to make power. Both of those engines have their quirks.

This is the perfect reponse ill only ever pull 7500-10k max. Thats load and trailer/tools. Im not sure how i feel about the ecoboost it just doesnt sound reliable if that makes sense :-huh but i have not done my homework honestly. I know the 5.0 is tried and true though. Again i really appreciate the response and i will keep you posted

tseekins 09-21-2018 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by 500k96F150 (Post 18205954)
This is the perfect reponse ill only ever pull 7500-10k max. Thats load and trailer/tools. Im not sure how i feel about the ecoboost it just doesnt sound reliable if that makes sense :-huh but i have not done my homework honestly. I know the 5.0 is tried and true though. Again i really appreciate the response and i will keep you posted

And what I highlighted is the most common misconception on this board. The new 5.0L has not one thing in common with the old 302 engines. The current 5.0L has only been around as long as the 3.5l ecoboost. As mentioned above, both engines have had some quirks in their earlier years but it seems as though Ford has worked through most of the issues that were present before.

Pulling 7500-10K puts you out of range for a regular V-6.

AlaskanEx 09-21-2018 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 18206653)
And what I highlighted is the most common misconception on this board. The new 5.0L has not one thing in common with the old 302 engines. The current 5.0L has only been around as long as the 3.5l ecoboost. As mentioned above, both engines have had some quirks in their earlier years but it seems as though Ford has worked through most of the issues that were present before.

Pulling 7500-10K puts you out of range for a regular V-6.

I think all signs point to a 6.2 V8 with its old school hydraulic power steering ;)

driximus 09-21-2018 12:43 PM

I would look for an 11 and up, 5.0 or EB drive em both and pick your flavor. I seen quite a few in XLT trim with the 5.0 under 20k when I was looking for my truck.

Buck268 09-21-2018 03:08 PM

I do like my '11 5.0L even though its one of the earlier build dates I haven't had any issues with the engine. It does burn a little oil but is within spec. and hasn't changed since I bought it 65k miles ago. That said, if I could get the same truck at a close price I would like that 6.2L setup. VERY stout and no EPAS to worry about (so far no problems here but my dad has gone through at least two).

jdunk54nl 09-23-2018 06:13 PM

If you are pulling 7500-10k often or far, you are more in the f250/350 neck of the woods. A lot of f150's payload's will be less than 1500 lbs. When ever one of those payload threads comes up, I see a lot of people around 1300's which would put you right at about a 7000lb trailer with 15% tongue weight and a 200lb driver and nothing else in the truck or added to it.

Both f150 engines will be able to tow and most likely stop 7500-10k fine. But if it was often or far distances, I personally would feel more comfortable with a 6.2l f250/f350. They will get about the same gas mileage as the f150, maybe 1-2mpg less. Plus that gets you all of the benefits of the 6.2l engine with the payload and power you would need to tow/haul anything a normal person would want.

futonpimp 11-19-2018 03:34 PM

Came across this thread somehow.. and I can't help but provide my personal experience here with my 2012 F150 Ecoboost crew cab long bed.

It does indeed pull 7500-10k lbs.. however on long mountain descent.... I always have more than i'd like brake fade at the bottom and on a recent trip back home from the desert there was a bicycle race going on and so I had to constantly slow down for them and by the time i got to the bottom I had absolutely no brakes left.. I went to stop and couldn't. I had to yank on the trailer brake controller to actually stop stop. (was very scary and I told my wife.. no more.. time to upgrade)

My toy hauler and toys is roughly 8700 lbs with the family and stuff and toys/fuel/water... So within ford's claim of towing 9500 lbs (what my model is rated at according to the manual) I've tried every combo of "heavy duty rotors/pads".. it has not made a difference. Under normal circumstances over flat highway driving.. you could probably go a long time before an incident.

so.. now I own a 2019 F350 Diesel :) Couldn't be happier and this thing tows and tows and tows. Torque and Braking for days.

steve(ill) 11-19-2018 07:36 PM

I went to stop and couldn't. I had to yank on the trailer brake controller to actually stop stop. (was very scary and I told my wife.. no more.. time to upgrade)

You need to crank up the GAIN on the controller.. The truck brakes stop the TRUCK. The trailer brakes stop the TRAILER.

futonpimp 11-19-2018 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by steve(ill) (Post 18316118)
I went to stop and couldn't. I had to yank on the trailer brake controller to actually stop stop. (was very scary and I told my wife.. no more.. time to upgrade)

You need to crank up the GAIN on the controller.. The truck brakes stop the TRUCK. The trailer brakes stop the TRAILER.

gain was at 10.

King-bRanch 11-20-2018 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl (Post 18210861)
If you are pulling 7500-10k often or far, you are more in the f250/350 neck of the woods. A lot of f150's payload's will be less than 1500 lbs. When ever one of those payload threads comes up, I see a lot of people around 1300's which would put you right at about a 7000lb trailer with 15% tongue weight and a 200lb driver and nothing else in the truck or added to it.

Both f150 engines will be able to tow and most likely stop 7500-10k fine. But if it was often or far distances, I personally would feel more comfortable with a 6.2l f250/f350. They will get about the same gas mileage as the f150, maybe 1-2mpg less. Plus that gets you all of the benefits of the 6.2l engine with the payload and power you would need to tow/haul anything a normal person would want.

Exactly what he said :-drink
FWIW, I have a 13' F150 5.0 & while I like my Truck, I generally refer to her as my Half-Truck. I am not bashing on Ruby, but after owning a F250 6.0 Diesel for years, there is no argument IMO about how much better the F250 & especially that Diesel Truck could pull efficiently.

If you really want a F150, I'd try to get a 6.2 but definitely buy a 2013 + model year.
Honestly the EcoBoost does pull well & what I have drug around with my 5.0 the engine did fine (typical Gas engine performance) it's just that with a good amount of weight, I feel uncomfortable with how the smaller/lighter F150 "feels" while pulling it, if that makes sense.... Just my .02

dh_meyer 11-20-2018 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Buck268 (Post 18207456)
...... It does burn a little oil but is within spec. ....

Kinda stumbled onto this older post ...........

My 2012 5.0 seems to burn a little oil too .............. what is considered "........... within spec....." ?

calvynandhobbs 11-20-2018 08:11 AM

I don't know if it makes a difference that I have the factory brake controller, but I have been very happy with the EB performance in my 2014 and braking has actually been much better than my 2003 F250. Got back from a trip to PA and a couple mountain passes towing my built YJ and in tow mode I just tap the brakes on the downhill and the engine does the majority of the braking. I held 55mph down a 11% grade for 4 miles with no issues whatsoever. I think the built in factory controller works much better in conjunction with the trailer brakes than a plug in unit because I would have been burning my brakes up in the F250 with the same trailer.