Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   DIY bed liner which one? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1555828-diy-bed-liner-which-one.html)

blk450er 09-18-2018 10:52 PM

DIY bed liner which one?

Just wondering what everyone’s opinion on best diy bed liner is? I know there are really good ones like line x and rhino liner but I kinda want to tackle this myself. I use a trailer more for work and my bed doesn’t get a lot of heavy hard use. I currently have a rubber mat but it flaps around too much and crap gets under it to much

ford390gashog 09-18-2018 11:18 PM

Liner extreme from Ebay or Upol raptor liner. I prefer the liner extreme with fine texture ad it looks like the line x finish. I have also done monsta liner but hate the plastic looking finish.

SlikWillie 09-18-2018 11:31 PM

For the love of god, do not use the Rustoleum bedliner. I completely sanded down my entire bed and used it. One years later. It chips really easy. The stuff shrinks and lifts with my fingernail and all the dust and debris under it is rusting my bed. Now, I have to power wash it all off (probably with ease) and chip away most of what I can before getting a real liner sprayed in, like Linex or Rhino.

ClassicKidNick 09-19-2018 08:27 AM

The prep work is the most important, getting the liner to really hold. I tried Herculiner, anything heavy or with sharp edges would tear and peel it up. I move engines, transmissions, wheels, etc pretty often so it didn't work for me. I've had it in the truck for 4 years, its still there but has patches missing everywhere.

If you coated it really good and would only use it for light duty (tires, maybe an occasional dresser) it may work. The gallon can is more than enough to coat a full bed and have left over. It settles in the can so stir it well.

If your looking for bed protection, I wouldn't use it. If your looking for a bed-liner finish, that will provide very mild scrape resistance, it would work.

scott79 09-19-2018 08:38 AM

I have some buddies that swear by this stuff... I've never used it (I like Rhino-line) but for DIY guys, this is something you could consider!

Ranger429 was a distributor and used it on all of his trucks. If he used it, I don't need to say anything else!! Not sure he's been on this site in a while but if you want to contact him, PM me and I can give you his cell number.

https://www.autoanything.com/truck-b...FedzMgodfS4AsA

bryanmartin 09-19-2018 04:02 PM

U Pol Raptor for sure. U Pol is a very reputable company in the automotive paint business. Don't use anything that isn't a 2 component system. It won't last.

Dave145 09-19-2018 04:57 PM

The raptor is what we use where I work. It has a nice even texture when sprayed correctly and is tintable of you buy the right kit. It's good stuff. I plan on using it when and if I bedline my bed.

Navy_Chief 09-19-2018 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by SlikWillie (Post 18202735)
For the love of god, do not use the Rustoleum bedliner. I completely sanded down my entire bed and used it. One years later. It chips really easy. The stuff shrinks and lifts with my fingernail and all the dust and debris under it is rusting my bed. Now, I have to power wash it all off (probably with ease) and chip away most of what I can before getting a real liner sprayed in, like Linex or Rhino.

+1! I love Rustoleum but the bed liner and the "chassis undercoat" are garbage

blk450er 09-19-2018 09:50 PM

Ok thanks. It’s nice to hear what to avoid too!

blk450er 09-19-2018 09:51 PM

I’ll have to look into the raptor liner

SlikWillie 09-19-2018 11:11 PM

This is my third DIY liner I've done and I gotta say, save your money and get a real professional grade product like Rhino or Linex. I've also done Dupont in my '96 F150 and Herculiner in my '04 F350. All three did the same thing, scratched and chipped with ease. Trust me. You will wish you did the pro stuff.

Fifty150 09-20-2018 12:45 AM

Line-X is one of the best. 12 years later, and my truck bed still looks new.

Some of the problems that people have with DIY bedliner is the prep work. Do it yourself. Screw it up yourself.

Now comes the problem that some of those products just aren't any good.

Pricewise, you could do it yourself for about 2/3 or 3/4 what a shop will charge. Meaning that you could save hundreds. Typically, you would buy a kit, which you will find does not include everything that you need. Then you go out and buy more stuff. And you have to factor in shop supplies that you don't have........respirator, paint suit, butcher paper, thinner, mixing cups, correct spray gun, compressor with enough capacity to do the job........well, if you have to buy a commercial compressor......I only have a little 6 gallon pancake compressor for very small jobs.

Once I factored in the price of trying to do something that I have no training or experience in......

Line-X with a warranty suddenly made so much more sense.

Don't be discouraged. If you think that you can do it, I say you go for it! You will have a sense of accomplishment! I can only speak for myself. But you may have what it takes to do the job right.

blk450er 09-20-2018 09:17 AM

I think for my 79 the bed never gets used just to get my crusty plastic bedliner out and clean up the bed it will be purely for cosmetic for the most part. Maybe a DIY will be the way to go on that but for my work/personal truck the bed does get used more frequently so maybe the professional route maybe to go for that one

Airborne-F250 09-20-2018 12:27 PM

I used Herculiner on my truck. for the bed, the cab, and the inside of the topper.
X2 what everyone else said about prep work. 90% of the work is prep putting the liner on is just the fun finish to all the prep.
I've used the Herculiner on all my trucks. (72-f100- grey,73-f100-brownie,73-f250-big red)
Grey is my dump runner so it always has some kind of toxic sludge sitting on it, I did the bed liner 8-9 years ago. just a wash with a hose and it looks great again!
Brownie is my scrap metal truck to any metal gets thrown into it. transmissions, rotors, just plain chunks of metal from fabrication projects it gets thrown into the back. the liner still looks great with no chunks or gouges missing.
And big red is still in project mode (been recovering from back surgery) But it is wrapped up tight with tarps and it gets HOT in Georgia and even with 100+ days with 100% humidity the liner in all the places (bed,topper inside ,cab)
Does NOT become tacky or mushy like some crappy ones
That's my 2 cents :-jammin

flowney 09-20-2018 05:05 PM

I'm wondering if bed liner would be good for the underside of the bed - cab too. Or would a durable smooth surface be better?