Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Oil in coolant 1998 F150 5.4l 4wd factory tow and remote filter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1555179-oil-in-coolant-1998-f150-5-4l-4wd-factory-tow-and-remote-filter.html)

Fixalot 09-13-2018 11:59 AM

Oil in coolant 1998 F150 5.4l 4wd factory tow and remote filter

Hi all!

I just picked up a F150 5.4 4wd with about 200k on it. Factory tow package and factory Remote oil filter under the bumper. Has oil in the coolant, but not a hint of coolant in the oil. It runs ok when started cold (didn't want to run it much past that), CEL is on, no clouds of white smoke from the exhaust. I'm thinking the oil cooler has blown internally (or maybe a gasket, if I'm lucky), as it's not showing the signs of a head gasket breech.

From what I can tell, it needs a f85z6a642ab to replace it. The drawings you see on the web don't look like the real part (they look like the 2WD version without remote filter), Tesca's pic looks much like what's currently installed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-G...-/232747609325

Have any of you folks done this particular job? Any hints and tips? Other parts needed for the updated cooler (like hoses)? I'd like to get by without dropping $200 plus on the cooler, so I guess I'll have to pull it off and pressure test it before I order, but this is a common failure from what I understand. The original part number for this cooler has been discontinued.

Thanks!

F150Dad 09-13-2018 05:18 PM

Most Likely it is the Oil Cooler. My son has the exact same truck, and when his went out, it overflowed the overflow tank with oily coolant. The pressure on the overflow tank is lower than what the engine oil pressure is, so oil in the coolant and NOT coolant in the oil. Did not look at your links, but use your VIN and go on a OEM ford parts site and it will give you the correct part number. Then google it, and you can shop different dealers, and if you have time, get it shipped at a reasonable price. Think I paid about $125 - $130 for the cooler and gasket. Had a shop install and flush the coolant system. Be prepared to change EVERY rubber hose that has coolant flowing through it. The oil breaks it down and you WILL suffer from water leaks if you don't change them. I had a post on this exact problem, I will see if I can find it. Good Luck.

Edit: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...at-a-mess.html

Fixalot 09-13-2018 10:56 PM

Thanks, F150Dad!

I think you may have gotten a different oil cooler than mine, likely it's been superseded since you ran into problems with yours. Many of the roughly canister-shaped coolers run in the price range you mentioned, this one looks like it includes the the head that the hoses for the remote cooler (which are also both crimped onto a header) bolt to and seal with a couple of o-rings. I may end up just going with a remote filter adapter for $30 and an air-cooled oil cooler that mounts in front of the radiator. Might have the added benefit of creating a little more space in that area of the engine bay.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did the E40D last before you had to rebuild it and how did it fail?

Fixalot 09-13-2018 11:29 PM

I believe the diagram in this post is what I'm equipped with, won't have the truck home for a few days though. I was able to peer in through the wheel well and see the cooler at least. It's the red circled part 6a642 in the diagram.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...e-housing.html

The filter adapter will be left (but I'll change he gasket on it) and I'll pick up an oil filter bung to put in the old adapter, then place the remote adapter (adapter only, no cooler in it) on the old filter/cooler adapter. I think I'll have to use a new remote filter as well, since the proprietary hose set that Ford uses for the remote filter forces my hand. Should be easy to mount an external cooler in front of the radiator at that point, or even just delete the cooler entirely if I can confirm that Ford discontinued it in later models with the towing option. This truck will just be pulling a garbage trailer and perhaps some trailer-able rental equipment from Home Depot from time to time, not a 30 foot boat or a fifth wheel trailer. It just has to be able to haul stuff up a short 20 percent clay/gravel grade.

F150Dad 09-14-2018 01:34 PM

Hey Fixalot, I clicked on your link and that's the exact one I bought from Silver State Ford in Las Vegas. Can't find the receipt, but shipped to me was less than $175.....I believe I bought mine in early 2016, so it looks like the price has gone up quite a bit.

The E4OD in my truck originally failed by pushing out the front seal, and dumping all the trans fluid out. My son caught it really quick, and no damage was done, but the transmission shop did plenty of damage.

As for the E4OD.......find someone who KNOWS Ford transmissions. I can't stress this enough. I am by NO MEANS a transmission expert, but the first guy I went with was a disaster. Younger guy with his own shop in the town I grew up in, talked a good game, but he was NOT familiar with the E4OD. Two rebuilds later and still a crap transmission. Found another shop who was very familiar with them and BAM a great shifting transmission. It took the threat of filing in small claims court to get half my money back from the first shop, roughly $1,300.........Be very careful when looking for a shop. These transmissions were used behind the early 7.3 diesels, and when fixed properly, are great transmissions.

P.S. Be sure yours is a E4OD. My door sticker confirmed that's what mine was, but several said there was no way it could be. My truck has a May of 1998 build date.

Fixalot 09-15-2018 01:59 AM

Ow! Trans shops.... Tough to find a good one, you sure have to do some looking around. Glad you got some of your dough back...

Looks like Silver wants $230 for it now, plus shipping no doubt.

Ford later came out with a piece that would accept the remote filter hose end header with the o-rings, but discontinued that. I guess the answer is a 1999 5.4 filter adapter that puts the filter back on the side of the block, they appear to have abandoned the remote filter entirely (as well as the cooler) in the following years. So now it's buy the newer cooler, or swap to the newer style and put the filter on the side of the block (not crazy about that one) or find an aftermarket remote adapter kit that fits the original cooler adapter. Man...