Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Mercon sp vs lv (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1554066-mercon-sp-vs-lv.html)

SanDiego56 09-04-2018 01:41 PM

Mercon sp vs lv

Hi guys im looking to service my 2011 f250 6.7 trans with a new filter and fluid. is there a difference between sp and lv? amazon has sp for about $10 more than lv. would there be any issue with mixing if i only add whats removed from the pan? Also while im at it i was going to change the fluid in the transfer case. has any one used sp or lv in the transfer case? or is xl-12 the appropriate choice.. thanx

69cj 09-04-2018 01:58 PM

LV superseded SP and they are completely compatible and mixable. The SP at one time was supposed to be discontinued but apparently that never happened or they had one hell of a stock built up.

Superdave71 09-04-2018 10:11 PM

I know for 2016 XL12 was the correct transfer case lube. It took 2 qts.

SanDiego56 09-05-2018 09:01 AM

thanks guys i ordered a case of lv and 2 qts xl-12

Superdave71 09-05-2018 02:41 PM

OP, I see you’re gonna drain the pan and refill. That is what I did, and I found draining the pan yielded about 6 1/2 quarts, so I did the first drain, drove to get it back up to temp, picked up 1 more quart and did it again.

SanDiego56 09-06-2018 10:27 AM

super dave, so did yours take 7 1/2 qt? 6.5 on initial drain and fill and 1qt once it was warm to reach the correct level on the dip stick?

Overkill2 09-07-2018 09:36 AM

I am going to a drain, pan drop, filter change and fill. I ordered a case of Mercon LV from . I ordered the Motorcraft filter on . And I ordered two quarts of Motorcraft XL-12 from as well. Here is a good
on servicing the 6R140.

Superdave71 09-07-2018 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by SanDiego56 (Post 18180199)
super dave, so did yours take 7 1/2 qt? 6.5 on initial drain and fill and 1qt once it was warm to reach the correct level on the dip stick?

i drained 6 1/2 hot, then added 6 1/2 cold. I didn’t figure there’d be too much thermal expansion, didn’t really consider it actually. On the second go around though I only added 6, then drove it a couple days and rechecked,

Overkill2 09-14-2018 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by SanDiego56 (Post 18180199)

According to the video, with my truck being a 16, I added 8 quarts after my filter change and pan back on after being cleaned. The truck sat awhile so the LV had a chance to clear the tube and get in the pan. I started the truck up and shifted numerous times through the gears. I kept checking and the fluid level stayed below the SAFE area about half way down. I added another 1/2 quart and just shut it off because I knew the stick would be inaccurate with the fluid just poured. When I did the change, I jacked up the rear end of the truck because my drive way is not level. I wanted to check the ATF level in the morning before I left for work, but because my driveway is not level, I did not. When I got to work, I checked the dipstick on it was in the hash marks below the halfway mark a little. I think if you are just dropping the fluid and not the pan, it will not take as much as with the pan off and filter change. There's fluid left in the pan after you drop the pan and when you pull off the old filter, more fluid comes out. My two cents...

The fluid only had 31,450 miles but you could see it definitely is way on way to wearing out as the color sure changes. My next change will be at 60k for sure.

I also drained and replaced my transfer case fluid with Motorcraft XL12. Though the manual says 2 quarts, it's more like 2.25 quarts. So I had to drive into town and grab another quart from the dealer. I also found out it's about 4 bucks cheaper at the dealer than Amazon. Huh...

SanDiego56 09-14-2018 06:20 PM

Thanx overkill, my 2011 just hit 60k.. healing up from shoulder surgery so it will prolly be another month or 2 before I service it... prolly not a bad idea to grab an extra qt for the transfer case.

bobv60 09-14-2018 07:10 PM

Color change is no longer an indication on transmission fluid condition. The color dies can fade and the oil is still fine.
This is one of many articles talking about fluid color
AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - The Color of Automatic Transmission Fluid

Overkill2 09-14-2018 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by SanDiego56 (Post 18195439)
Thanx overkill, my 2011 just hit 60k.. healing up from shoulder surgery so it will prolly be another month or 2 before I service it... prolly not a bad idea to grab an extra qt for the transfer case.

No worries. I always side on overkill when it comes to this stuff. Fluid is relatively cheap insurance and a cheaper alternative than replacement of the part itself. When I had my 1996 F350 gasser that I was commercially plowing with, I flushed mine out every year. I had a 2 way shut off valve installed in the return line back to the E4OD. I would drain and fill twice every year. It required 2 cases of ATF. People said I was crazy. But I heard the stories of that transmission going out before 30k miles. I kept it going until I replaced it at 90 some k miles with a Monster Box. It was still functioning but was probably getting due for a rebuild. My point is that it's cheaper to replace fluid than the transmission.

Buy that extra quart of XL12. You will need it.

Originally Posted by bobv60 (Post 18195501)
Color change is no longer an indication on transmission fluid condition. The color dies can fade and the oil is still fine.
This is one of many articles talking about fluid color
AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - The Color of Automatic Transmission Fluid

You're right. I have seen that before. But, from that same article:

"Under normal conditions, automatic transmission fluid will last at least 30,000 miles. Vehicles used for towing require more frequent service as the transmission tends to run hotter. A proper service every two-years or 30,000 mile is more than adequate, with most transmissions."

The object of doing this every 30K miles or so is to maintain the additive package. Especially with a late model common rail diesel engine that's a torque monster.

speakerfritz 09-18-2018 09:07 AM

SP is thicker than LV

bobv60 09-18-2018 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by speakerfritz (Post 18201335)
SP is thicker than LV

Where did you get that information?

speakerfritz 09-18-2018 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by bobv60 (Post 18202174)
Where did you get that information?

materials safty data sheet

sp .85
lv .84